(12-12-2003) Bono Talks New Album -- Uncut *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
BonoTalks New Album

"Bullet The Blue Sky" Bono tells Uncut how U2 have gone "punk rock" on the French Riveira.

U2 have completed the main recording sessions for their next album, scheduled for release early in 2004, at a secret studio on the French Riveira. Guitarist The Edge summed up the new record, as yet untitled, as "raw rock'n'roll....a band in its primary colours of guitar, bass, drums, voice and a lot of vitality and energy"

Speaking exclusively to Uncut, Bono goes a step further, describing the album as "punk rock made on Venus", dominated by guitars that go up to "Number 11". He confirms the album will continue in the classic-rock vein of 2000's Grammy winning All That You Can't Leave Behind, and that U2's usual production team of Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno have been replaced by studio veteran Chris Thomas.

"He worked on The White Album", says Bono. "He made Never Mind the Bollocks and Dark Side of the Moon. And the first four Roxy Music records that are really hard to get your head round, I think he's on three of them. But we particularly wanted him to work on the guitar sound. It's a guitar-driven record. It's got a lot of big, big tunes. You know? Remember tunes?"

Bono insists the break with Lanois and Eno is purely for musical reasons. "They.....um, they don't really like the loud music. Heh heh! Eno's not on it, but Daniel's coming in to play - his tour's ending in Dublin and I think he's going to sit in, as we musos say. I'd love Brian to be on it because Brian was on those Roxy Music records too, we shouldn't forget. And it is otherworldly - its kind of punk rock made on Venus rather than Mars."

Holding album sessions on the Meditteranean, Bono claims, was designed to stimulate creative inspiration. "We've tried pretty much everything to make it feel like it's not a studio that we're working in," he says.

According to Bono, the new album will be dominated by The Edge's guitar. "it's made by a man who is really sick of the sight of his singer shaking hands with dodgy politicians," he quips. "When you've got as much spleen and suffused rage as The Edge has, I think Number 11 was the only way to go.

"People forget just how extraordinary a guitar player he is," Bono continues. "Everybody else is just replaying the blues again and again, it's just Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson. But this is someone who, in the colour spectrum, [bold]owns[/bold] a few colours. In the same way as great musicians like Miles Davis, or great guitar players like Sterling Morrison - there are great guitar players who [bold]own[/bold] something."

But a guitar sound is not all the Edge owns, Uncut adds mischievously. He also owns a mansion, a hotel, a nightclub....

"Yes," Bono replies, "and he's slowly burning them all down."

Stephen Dalton

-- Uncut

Thanks Chris!

Chris Thomas never worked on Dark Side of the Moon. That was Alan Parsons. :eyebrow:

Sorry. I get technical and picky when it comes to Pink Floyd. :D

Chris Thomas was there for those albums none-the-less, and so he's attractive for those reasons. I love his work with INXS in the late 80's. I always thought of INXS as the "Pop" version of U2. I think this album will "RAWK"!!! Whether you people think so or not!!! "RAWK" is not a bad thing either!!!

dsmith2904 said:
BonoTalks New Album

U2 have completed the main recording sessions for their next album, scheduled for release early in 2004
Thanks Chris!

Ahhhh..........it's statements like this that really put a smile on my face

Zoo Pop?

Yes, this certainly brings me hapiness too...
But I had a little question, maybe it's even a stupid question...
On the Boston dvd, they showed two trailers from the Zoo tv tour and the POP tour.... Does this mean these concerts will be released on DVD too? They already are there on VHS....
I really hope they'll come on DVD, cause on VHS they are very hard to get...

Thanx, Bye!!!

Re: Zoo Pop?

U2ABonoLover said:
Yes, this certainly brings me hapiness too...
But I had a little question, maybe it's even a stupid question...
On the Boston dvd, they showed two trailers from the Zoo tv tour and the POP tour.... Does this mean these concerts will be released on DVD too? They already are there on VHS....
I really hope they'll come on DVD, cause on VHS they are very hard to get...

Thanx, Bye!!!

There's never been a firm word either way from U2 about any of their old videos coming out on DVD. Amazon.com usually has PopMart and ZooTV in stock so you might want to check there.

Mr. Thomas did in fact mix Dark Side of the Moon, so technically he did work on it... c'mon Dave, get your facts straight! :wink:

and he played keyboards on the White Album...

Last edited:
With connections to Pink Floyd, the Beatles, and now U2, good God, I really don't care the particulars of what the guy's done..... this is going to sound divine. :drool: :drool: :drool:

DaveC said:
Chris Thomas never worked on Dark Side of the Moon. That was Alan Parsons. :eyebrow:

Sorry. I get technical and picky when it comes to Pink Floyd. :D

chris thomas engineered and mixed some DSOTM. As far as the white album goes, he recorded most of it, the BEATLES producer was only there for half the sessions.

I'm picky about both

Before we all get too excited, remember the ATYCLB album was going to be a man's album that saw the band's raw edge.
And guess what?It wasn't.
Don't believe the hype because we've heard all this 'guitar' talk before so I'll judge this album with my ears and not by who's producing it or the fact that Bono's building it up too much.
ANYTHING has to be better than ATYCLB - the songs from that album were transformed live though and sounded great (except In A Little While and Stuck).
Turn down Bono and turn up The Edge!!!

tell me it about it, April!!
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I want it NOW. :grumpy:

I wish Bono would define "early 2004".

Is it January? :hyper:

Or is early 2004, May? :rant:

u2_england said:
Before we all get too excited, remember the ATYCLB album was going to be a man's album that saw the band's raw edge.
Don't believe the hype because we've heard all this 'guitar' talk before so I'll judge this album with my ears and not by who's producing it or the fact that Bono's building it up too much.
ANYTHING has to be better than ATYCLB - the songs from that album were transformed live though and sounded great (except In A Little While and Stuck).

Sorry man but i LOVE In a little while played live..

Hope the new album is released soon.. but we didn't have shedules for a first single..

I agreee with u2_england, as a matter of fact i read in a fellow u2 fan site a rumor about our boys playing some songs for some fans, like a lil' "screening" of the new album, it was described by the ever-so lucky fans as electronic, AND with a lot of guitar, reminds us a bit to pop, a true u2 fan will understand what our lads are trying to express, so i don't care what genre it is, as long as it's the bands musical soul is always there, u know?

Y QUE VIVA LA MAKINA!!!!

u2_england said:

yp atuclb suxs as an album but live its better. stuck is great live. i hate walk on live . elevation suxs even if jimmy page played guitar oh wait there are only three chords.
ya dont listen to bono hipe(Keep in mind he sang with beyonce and just came home from a show oh ya he was at a justin timberlake, show) when the album comes out we will all talk about it if im still here>

I'm sure whatever it is it'll be great. U2 has yet to put out an album that I don't like (even October)... Pop got me in, then I went into my preteen boyband phase, then I heard Beautiful Day and ATYCLB got me back into real music (and in love with Bono!). With Chris Thomas working on the album I don't see how it could be bad. Guitar driven...punk-ish...(electronic?)...sounds good to me. Maybe War meets Pop? Seriously though, everyday I find myself going "U2 needs to put out a new album. Now." Early 2004...in a couple days it will be (very) early 2004, so let's hear some rock 'n roll music boys!!

With Chris Thomas on board and the Edge's guitar cranked up to 11 im imagining an album thats gonna put the Strokes, Vines, Datsuns to shame. If I get another ATYCLB im gonna take my battered copy of AB, pop it into my CD player and watch Zoo Tv(with volume off of course) for the rest of my natural born life.

Back
Top Bottom