(12-09-2002) Rock Star Bono Educating Public on AIDS Epidemic - WKRN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.wkrn.com/

Rock Star Bono Educating Public on AIDS Epidemic
Reporter: Silvia Castaneda

Rock star Bono talked about the legacy we are leaving if we don't address the AIDS epidemic - the virus infects one person every 40 seconds.

Music City got a call to action from one of music's biggest stars. Bono is in town, and he's teamed up with the Global Health Council to educate the public on the AIDS epidemic. The rock star has become the voice of those in Africa who are struggling with this killer.

"Instead of giving the best to the baby, I gave it HIV."

In Ugandan, Agnes Yama-Yarwor lost that son to aids and has another who's she infected.

"It's very, very painful as a parent."

but this HIV positive mother is not alone.

"Two and a half million Africans are going to die next year because they can't get access to drugs that we take completely for granted in Europe and America. That is not a cause, it's an emergency," Bono said.

Rock star Bono now lends his voice to Agnes and many like her. He, along with Senator Bill Frist and others, are in Nashville to speak on aids and how to stop its spread from mothers to babies.

One out of every three women with HIV pass it along to their newborn through the birthing process or breastfeeding. Bono's goal here: appealing to America's greatness to fund treatment.

"Know I'm fan of America, the biggest fan of America, and the reason I'm a fan because it's not just a country, it's an idea, and that idea has to be defended, and that idea is something to do with equality and justice for all."

Bono said Agnes is living testament AIDS treatments can prolong lives, as she's doing well. He just wants others being born into the same world to have the same chance.

"I believe in this part of the world and it's ability to change the world."

Senator Bill Frist said treatment to stop the HIV spread from mother to baby costs just a dollar. He's sponsoring an initiative that would provide $500-million dollars in funding for that treatment in Africa.

News 2 at 4:30

Back
Top Bottom