(12-09-2002) Rock singer Bono speaks in Louisville - My InKy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.myinky.com/

Rock singer Bono speaks in Louisville
December 8, 2002

LOUISVILLE, Ky.- Rock star Bono delivered a powerful performance Sunday night, but it wasn't music that brought the audience to its feet.

Rather, it was his passionate plea on behalf of millions of Africans who die each year of AIDS.

Bono, lead singer with the group U2, told about 1,100 people at Northeast Christian Church in eastern Jefferson County that "2 1/2 million Africans will die of AIDS this year because they can't get hold of drugs that we take for granted. These drugs are so cheap to make; we just have to get them over there."

He also made it clear that "I'm not here as a do-gooder. This is not a cause; it's an emergency."

Accompanying Bono on stage was Kentucky singer Wynonna Judd, who told the crowd: "We have choices; many in Africa don't. That's one reason I'm here."

Bono, 42, who has been championing African issues for nearly 20 years, embarked on the Heartland of America Tour to raise awareness about the spreading AIDS epidemic in Africa.

The seven-city, Midwest bus tour began last Sunday in Lincoln, Neb., and ended Sunday in Nashville, Tenn. Other stops included Chicago, Indianapolis and Cincinnati. During the tour Bono spoke at newspaper editorial offices, college campuses, churches and industrial plants.

The tour was sponsored by DATA _ Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa. That's a group the Irish singer helped found last year.

Bono and the group are urging Americans to try to persuade lawmakers to increase funding for the fight against AIDS in Africa, and they want the U.S. government to forgive debts of African nations to free up money that could be used to fight the disease.

Also touring with Bono were comedian/actor Chris Tucker and Agnes Nyamayarwo, a nurse from Uganda whose husband died of AIDS.

According to DATA, about 9,500 Africans contract HIV/AIDS each day _ including 1,400 newborns.

Back
Top Bottom