(12-06-2003) Rock Star Bono Pushes for AIDS Funds -- CNN.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/04/judy.desk.bono/story.bono.jpg[/SIMG]
Rock Star Bono Pushes for AIDS Funds

Washington (CNN) -- Bono, the lead singer of U2 and long time political activist for international causes, came to Washington on Wednesday on a mission.

But instead of performing before tens of thousands of fans, Bono was focused on a much smaller, but targeted audience: the U.S. political leaders who could help him get the promised funding for the global AIDS crisis flowing to the people who need it most.

Although Bono is a familiar face on MTV, he also jokes that he's become a regular Washington lobbyist. He spends much of his off-stage time traveling and talking about the need for developing nations to work together to combat the global AIDS epidemic.

But when Bono sat down to talk with me for an interview on CNN's "Inside Politics," the usually outspoken singer tread carefully with his message.

His experiences lobbying Capitol Hill made him sound more like a political deal-maker than a rock star. Insisting he was "drained of all political color," Bono took pains to stay away from partisan fingerpointing when arguing that the promised AIDS funding was not getting to the people who need it the most.

Instead of laying blame, Bono was generous with his compliments to both political parties. He hailed President Bush for proposing an unprecedented $15 billion, five- year plan to fight the global AIDS crisis. And he was quick to credit the Congress for what they've done so far.

But he was also blunt about the consequences if the current Congress doesn't finish the job and give final approval to the $2.4 billion of the promised AIDS money when they return for last-minute business before the holidays:

"All the good will be squandered if Congress doesn't come back because in two months, I mean not to be melodramatic--but actually, why not?--500,000 people will die. I think it's 2.4 million people die every year in Africa."

Bono admitted there was some political wrangling when the president proposed $2 billion for fiscal 2004, a billion less than the $3 billion the president outlined in his State of the Union address in January when he unveiled his AIDS initiative.

Congressional appropriators added $400 million more to the president's request, despite the administration's argument that there wasn't an adequate system in place to spend the money efficiently.

But Bono made it plain that the money wouldn't mean anything if Congress didn't vote--and soon--for final passage so the money can begin flowing from Washington to the affected countries.

He compared the situation holding up the money to fighting a blazing fire.

"It's like you've got a burning building," he said. "This is the first fire truck that's arrived on the scene. And I'm really glad. It's about time we had a fire truck because it's getting out of control, this fire....If Congress doesn't come back, that fire truck doesn't have any water in the hoses, And the truth of it is, we need a fire brigade."

Mindful of the upcoming presidential election, Bono said the Democratic candidates are paying attention to AIDS, but when asked whether one of the nine Democrats, all of whom promise even more money than President Bush's $15 billion plan, would be better advocates than President Bush, he returned to his pragmatic line.

"I just want to work with the guy who writes the biggest check. And as it happens, that's President Bush, And he's been true to his word," Bono said.

But staying true to his role as chief lobbyist, Bono added: "But you know, writing it, then cashing it, that's the other bit."

Judy Woodruff is CNN's prime anchor and senior correspondent. She also anchors "Judy Woodruff's Inside Politics," weekdays at 3:30 pm ET.

Hey all, let's log the forests too, so that there wont be any forest fires.

Oh wait, that's Bush's idea.

Bono better be mindful of who his fire chief is.

Well, lets hope that Bush stays true to his word. At times, I feel doubtful:eyebrow: I certainly hope that Bush sees the bigger picture.

Poor Bono is in a catch-22 situation. In order for him to get what he wants, he has to suck up to Bush to do it. And I'm sure that Bono doesn't like to do it either. Bono is just saying nice things about Bush so that he can get what he wants. Like he said, Bush is the one who signs on the dotted line. I'm from Texas and I know Bush very well. He helped in fucking up this state. Everything was fine until he got into office. He lied that he wasn't going to run for president. We knew better, and of course he left this state in shambles. Now he's got his buddies in office down here allowing the big corporations and insurance companies ruining and running this state. When I heard that Bono was going to meet Bush back in the Spring of 2002, I knew it would be like talking to a brick wall. Bush is also using him as a springboard for his re-election campaign. But I know better...I never voted for and I will never vote for that rat bastard any day! I wouldn't even touch him with a ten foot pole!!!

Allegra said:
Poor Bono is in a catch-22 situation. In order for him to get what he wants, he has to suck up to Bush to do it. And I'm sure that Bono doesn't like to do it either. Bono is just saying nice things about Bush so that he can get what he wants. Like he said, Bush is the one who signs on the dotted line. I'm from Texas and I know Bush very well. He helped in fucking up this state. Everything was fine until he got into office. He lied that he wasn't going to run for president. We knew better, and of course he left this state in shambles. Now he's got his buddies in office down here allowing the big corporations and insurance companies ruining and running this state. When I heard that Bono was going to meet Bush back in the Spring of 2002, I knew it would be like talking to a brick wall. Bush is also using him as a springboard for his re-election campaign. But I know better...I never voted for and I will never vote for that rat bastard any day! I wouldn't even touch him with a ten foot pole!!!

Bono said in the Kaiser interview that he's interested in working with whomever writes the biggest check. Bono has been good, in recent years, at removing his personal biases and opinions from these political dealings.

The important thing is that Bono get these powerful men behind the cause. Bono's merely a vioce for these voiceless millions and I'm giving Bush the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he really notices that. Not everyone realizes that AIDS is an emergency and I think we should cut the Bush some slack on this issue. He does have a lot of other things to worry about, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom