(12-06-2002) Rocker: U.S. must enter war on AIDS - Indianapolis Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.indystar.com/

Rocker: U.S. must enter war on AIDS

By David Lindquist
December 06, 2002

Speaking in Indianapolis on Thursday, international rock star Bono challenged the United States to step "right out in front" to address Africa's AIDS crisis.

Bono, vocalist for the Irish band U2, made his case with statistics:

About 28 million Africans are infected with HIV, yet less than 3 million have access to medicine. More than 2 million AIDS-related deaths are expected in 2003.

"If we are the generation that says it's OK to let an entire continent burst into flames, I think our civilization and what we've achieved so far will be made ridiculous by history," Bono said in a meeting with The Star's editorial board.

The singer, joined by actress Ashley Judd and actor Chris Tucker, has bused from one Midwestern city to another this week with hopes of raising awareness.

The Heart of America tour has included formal lectures and spur-of-the-moment roadside stops. During an evening assembly at the Madame Walker Theatre Center, a singing troupe from Ghana and an HIV-positive nurse from Uganda represented African dimensions of joy, strength and sorrow.

Why take the message to Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee?

Bono, 42, (born in Dublin as Paul Hewson) said he believes the Midwest offers less "numbness" than the East and West coasts.

"We had more than a hunch that there was a certain decency living here," he said before the event at the Walker. "The moral compass that sets the course for the rest of the country is somewhere around here."

His organization DATA -- an acronym for Debt-AIDS-Trade-Africa as well as Democracy, Accountability and Transparency from Africa -- places a greater emphasis on political pressure than financial contributions. One of DATA's goals is getting a new AIDS initiative from President Bush before he travels to Africa in January.

"We know it is on his mind and in his heart," Bono said. "He has told me himself."

Dressed in a brown corduroy jacket, open black shirt and green military cap, Bono began his day at 4 a.m. and appeared somewhat weary during his afternoon appointment.

By show time at the Walker, however, he was fit to lead a rally.

"We're going to change the world," he said, adding that it was his first such pronouncement of the week.

Following his involvement with the Africa famine single "Do They Know It's Christmas?" in 1984, Bono visited Ethiopia in 1985 as well as Uganda and Ethiopia earlier this year.

U2, which has won 14 Grammy awards and sold millions of albums globally, also has toured to raise funds for human-rights group Amnesty International.

In 1992, former president George Bush mocked opponent Bill Clinton for discussing world affairs with U2. Bono reached out to Bush in his own way, with mid-concert attempts to telephone the White House.

Today, he has a "compassionate conservative" ally in President George W. Bush, he said.

"Democrats, Republicans -- it's one of the few issues they seem to be able to agree on," Bono said. "When you're faced with a crisis of this magnitude, 6,500 people dying every day and no breaks for Christmas, you have to call off all old animosities."

Comedic actor and Atlanta native Tucker recounted visits to Africa in which he met people he valued as mothers, fathers, nephews and cousins.

"When I left, I didn't feel like quitting," he said. "I felt like there was something I could do."

About 900 free tickets were distributed for the Walker event.

Andrew Levy of Indianapolis, who was in the audience, was surprised to hear the harrowing details of Africa's plight.

"I knew there was some kind of epidemic," he said. "But I didn't know precise numbers or the scope of the problem."

Levy also applauded Bono's political astuteness when highlighting debt relief, trade policies and government accountability in DATA's strategy for change.

The Heart of America tour is scheduled to end Monday in Nashville, Tenn.

Back
Top Bottom