(12-06-2002) Rock star pops in on unsuspecting truckers - Chicago Sun-Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.suntimes.com/

Rock star pops in on unsuspecting truckers
December 6, 2002

REMINGTON, Ind.--Halfway through his long haul from St.Paul, Minn., to Atlanta, trucker Harold Clement was minding his own business at the counter of the Hoosier Heartland truck stop enjoying his steak and eggs when The Pest arrived.

"Hi, I'm Bono," The Pest said, offering his hand to the bib overall-clad, mullet-hairstyled Clement.

"So it was you who robbed the bus," the Irish rocker added, jibing the total stranger easily three times his size.

In the only spontaneous stop so far on Bono's seven-day Heart of America tour to promote awareness of the AIDS crisis in Africa, the man some in the White House call "The Pest" stunned the guys at the counter. They had been wondering aloud Thursday who all the "New York types" were wandering around the buffet's steam tables before Bono arrived.

"I like what you done at the Super Bowl last year," Clement told the singer, referring to U2's post-9/11 tribute in New Orleans.

Bono chatted with Clement and other truckers at the counter about AIDS and poverty in Africa, and about how truck drivers in Africa are among groups with the highest risk of contracting HIV. Then, the singer sat down with a local reporter and a plate of fried chicken and franks and beans in a nearby booth.

Clement, still stunned by running into the rock star in the middle of Indiana, continued a running commentary: "You keep up the good work. Hey, when's U2 coming to Birmingham?"

"I wouldn't rule that out," Bono answered.

After finishing his lunch, Bono stopped on his way out to talk to Clement again.

"You ever need someone to drive for you in Africa, you pay my way over, and I'll drive for you," Clement offered.

"You might regret saying that," Bono said, laughing.

Later Thursday, Bono spoke to a group at a theater in Indianapolis.

"You have the most fertile ground in the world in the Midwest," he told the Indianapolis audience. "You can grow anything in the Midwest. And we're gonna grow a movement."

The tour arrives in Cincinnati early this morning before continuing on to Louisville, Ky.

Back
Top Bottom