(12-01-2003) South Africa: Concert for AIDS -- New York Times *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
South Africa: Concert for AIDS

A duet between Bono and Beyonc? was the highlight of a Saturday concert for AIDS attended by more than 40,000 people in Cape Town. They sang "American Prayer," accompanied by the guitarists the Edge (of U2) and Dave Stewart (of Eurythmics). Bono said the song asked "churches to open their doors, to give sanctuary that breaks the stigma that goes with being H.I.V.-positive."

The five-hour concert, at Greenpoint Stadium, was organized by the Nelson Mandela Foundation for Mr. Mandela's music-led 46664 campaign to fight AIDS in Africa, and also featured the Corrs, Peter Gabriel, Paul Oakenfold, Youssou N'Dour, Jimmy Cliff, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Anastacia, Ms. Dynamite and members of Queen. It was broadcast live on www.46664.com, which is named after the prisoner number assigned to Mr. Mandela during his years of incarceration during the apartheid era. The concert is to be shown worldwide on MTV today at 6 p.m. E.S.T., and recorded songs from the concert are available for download on www.46664.com for $1.19 each (0.99 euros or 69 British pence).

Mr. Mandela, 85, sat with his wife, Graca Machel, and told the crowd: "AIDS is no longer just a disease. It is a human rights issue." He added that "millions of people infected with H.I.V. and AIDS are in danger of being reduced to mere numbers unless we act." Mr. Mandela's organization says that AIDS has killed 17 million people in Africa and that 30 million are infected with H.I.V. there.

-- New York Times

I understand this concert was done for a good cause, but I have to be honest I watched it on MTV just to check Edge and Bono and this concert sucked. It was just plain boring :|

:applaud: :up: Well, for having to set this one up fast, get everyone to agree to it, it looked really good because of the crowds excitement!! And-did draw attention to the Real reason any of them were there!!:shame: After all-it's not always about US and OUR enjoyment! And shame on all those that Could have helped!:mad:

I understand this concert was done for a good cause, but I have to be honest I watched it on MTV just to check Edge and Bono and this concert sucked. It was just plain boring

I have to agree, it really did not live up to its potential.

We have to keep in mind that the real concert was over five hours long while the MTV special was only 90 minutes (with commercials) so the television broadcast wasn't a fair representation of the evening. When the show comes out on DVD next year, it will be easier to judge the intensity of the evening because we'll get to see it in its entirety.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom