(11-18-2003) U2's One named 'greatest record' - BBC News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39584000/jpg/_39584983_q_u2_ap203.jpg[/SIMG]
U2's One named 'greatest record'

Music experts have named U2's love song One as the greatest song ever recorded.

The song was the group's only entry in the top 100 of Q magazine's poll to find the favourite 1001 tracks.

Runner-up was Aretha Franklin's I Say a Little Prayer, written by Bacharach and David, and Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit was third.

Radiohead scored the most entries on the list, with nine in total - Creep was the highest at number seven - while The Beatles notched up eight.

The highest Beatles hit was A Day in the Life, at number four. Something, In My Life and Paperback Writer were also included.

Eight of John Lennon's solo efforts featured in the poll, while Sir Paul McCartney had just one post-Beatles track included, the Wings song Jet.

To read the entire story, go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3281327.stm

Thanks HKG! for the news.

I wonder where their other songs placed. It says it was their only song to get into the top 100, but I'd like to see the entire list.

Convoy said:
I wonder where their other songs placed. It says it was their only song to get into the top 100, but I'd like to see the entire list.

The special edition of Q with this listing is coming out in the UK tomorrow and should hit the States in a couple of weeks, you can see the list then.

Q is THE only music mag in the UK that hasn't dissapeared up its own arse. The writers, unlike the NME have always supported U2s music despite Bono being Bono sometimes, unlike the NME which constantly lets U2s none music activities color its views of their music. Its about time a UK music publication gave U2 the respect they are due. I will always remember an article in another "music" mag Select (now defunct) around about the time POP was released. It had a monthly panel on one of its pages devoted to bands it predicted had had their time. It gives me great pleasure knowing U2 has outlived that very publication. A message to all US U2 fans. GET Q!!!!!!!!

THEY BEAT NIRVANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't get me wrong i like nirvana, but U2 always seems to come in right behind them. WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought cool When I saw the headlines but once I saw the list...

WTF!!!

My Name Is?

CREEP?- I love Radiohead but this song fucking sucks!!!

Indepedent Women?... GOD!:barf:

This list is dead to me

I'm glad One (and indeed U2) finally gets some of the credit it and they deserves.

But I am very surprised at Independant Woman, My Name Is and Teen Spirit all being in the top eight songs ever recorded. I mean seriously! And where is Bohemian Rhapsody and Imagine?? I do wonder who voted on this list!

I'm happy all the same though about U2. By the way, could someone please post the positions and names of the other 7 U2 songs from the magazine on this thread?? Thanks in advance!

JTH

P.S. Unfortunitly One came fifth out of the best songs of the last 25 years as voted by VH1. Beaten by Nirvana in that one!

Back
Top Bottom