(11-15-2003) George Scores One on One with Bono -- MuchMusic.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
George Scores One on One with Bono

Our very own George Stroumboulopoulos has scored a private 30-minute interview with international rock star and political heavy-hitter, Bono. In the early hours following last night's Liberal Leadership convention in Toronto, the U2 frontman went one-on-one for MuchMusic cameras to discuss his reasons for speaking at the convention, his views on celebrity and politics, and Canada's potential as a leading force on the world stage. For a preview watch MuchNewsWeekly Saturday Nov 15th at 8:30pm ET and Sunday Nov 16th 4:30pm ET. "The Bono Interview" a full half-hour special will air on MuchMusic this Wednesday, November 19th @6pm ET and again at 9pm ET. Don't miss this one!

Until Wednesday's interview here are some highlights from Bono's speech Friday night:

On his appearance at the convention: "You'll have to forgive me if I'm a little shy. I'm not used to speaking in front of crowds of less than 25,000. Let me see. I've been here, to Air Canada [Centre], in my other life So here I am, an unidentified foreign object spotted at the Liberal party conference."

On how history will view us: "Our age will be remembered for only about three things, I promise you, the Internet, the war against terror, and how we stood around with watering cans as a whole continent, Africa, burst in to flames. Or not."

On the new Liberal leader: "Paul Martin. You heard of him? This kid is great. I've got all his early albums. Later on, you know, he went to America, concept albums, the usual stuff. No, he's pretty cool. By pretty cool, I mean he didn't have a mullet in the '80s."

On Canada: "I'm a fan of Canada. Because a certain kind of idealism still seems to be alive in this country. You're not an insular place you're not so self obsessed and this is coming from a rock star. So believe me I know self obsessed I believe the world needs more Canada."

On Canada's role as a history maker: "More than half a century ago, in the wake of a world war that Canadians fought so hard to win, Canada understood that we would prevent the next world war only if we turned our enemies in to allies and built a stable and secure world order. You did it. You helped prevent World War III and helped a lot of us in other parts of the world prosper in peace. Thank you. Today we need the same sort of vision for the developing world from Canada."

On how Canada is viewed in the world: "Nobody hates Canada ... You're so nice! I was nearly niced to death today in the airport! I mean, with those manners, you hardly need an army. You know, if Canada wanted to take over the world, it would just say, please, thank you, sorry! Could I have the Kremlin, please? China? Thank you very much. Buckingham Palace. Thank you. But it's not just that everybody likes Canada. Everybody respects Canada because something subtle is going on here. You've avoided a stigma that's attached to the rest of the west or the northern hemisphere or whatever it is that other parts of the world regard with such suspicion or worse."

-- MuchMusic.com

Thanks Nia!

:drool: In my other life...
an undentified foreign object spotted...
while we stood around with watering cans,
while Africa burst into flames...

let us hope he's wrong . . .
that our hopeful promises, wishes
and God's willful Justice isn't
dashed against seemingly
uncharacteristic slammer,
against unloving irrelevancy
against putrid complacency

Last edited:
Okay I have a question is muchmusic now called FUSE in the US? Because I used to get muchmusic but I don't anymore (I think)

TiaraGurl said:
Okay I have a question is muchmusic now called FUSE in the US? Because I used to get muchmusic but I don't anymore (I think)

Yes, MuchMusic is now called Fuse.

The interview will also be simulcast on Toronto's CHUM FM at 9 pm ET on Wednesday.

MuchMusic.com is running a 1:28 preview clip of the interview, "Can't wait until Wednesday to watch the full interview? Catch a preview now, as Bono and George discuss Paul Martin, rock stars and the afterlife in this preview clip." Click on the picture of Bono on the site's front page to access the clip or any other information about the interview.

Also, anyone in Canada who catches this interview, please PM or e-mail me if Bono reveals any must-know information. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom