(11-14-2002) U2: The Best of 1990-2000 - Las Vegas Mercury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/

U2 The Best of 1990-2000

3 Stars

U2 wasn't exactly a hit-making machine in the '90s. Though the Irish band had commercial success with its post-Joshua Tree era--thanks to its reputation as one of rock's most compelling bands and a few radio hits--its concentration on European rhythms, American irony and internal maturity didn't leave the same impressions as its '80s input did. A crime, as the band, for better or worse, was its most intriguing during this period.

The poorly presented compilation of highlights from the decade doesn't help U2's case. Most maddening are some of the mixes chosen for the 16-track album. The three inclusions from 1997's technocentric Pop--an album U2 rushed through in the studio--were rerecorded, and yet they don't improve on the originals; the same goes for the Edge-sung "Numb," now hampered with additional vocal overdubs from Bono. Also frustrating is the tracklisting order; the collection sags in the middle, where most of the ballads reside.

As for the two "new" songs, "Electrical Storm" is a quick fix, but lacks the band's usual substance, while "The Hands That Built America" (the theme from the upcoming film Gangs of New York) is relatively monotone; both could have easily been replaced with 1991's image-shifting harbinger "The Fly," and 1999's criminally underexposed "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" (co-written by Salman Rushdie). Throw in a bonus disc heavy with soul-sucking remixes, and 1990-2000 pales in comparison to the band's Best of 1980-1990 release.

If you can get around all that awkwardness, some of the band's most potent work is showcased here, including "One," "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" (from Batman Forever), the Luciano Pavarotti-assisted "Miss Sarajevo" (from the band's Passengers side project) and, capping the collection beautifully, "The First Time," a naked hymn of faith and self-realization. While Best of 1990-2000 spends too much time dressing U2 up, it's the stripped-down moments you can't leave behind.--Mike Prevatt

What the?

Wha the? This guys is bashing big time. I think that someone should reply to his piece in the paper. It sure is not like the first "Best of...", but that is why it makes it so great. Its called "re-inveting yourself", and that is what the second "Best of ..." is. Moron!!!!

Amen! I don't think this guy really knows what he is talking about. I think "best of" is great. whatever though.

Back
Top Bottom