(11-11-03) Liberals to be Serenaded by Canadian Rockers -- The Globe and Mail *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Liberals to be Serenaded by Canadian Rockers

By ALLISON DUNFIELD
Globe and Mail Update

The Liberal Party provided more details of its leadership convention Tuesday ? an event shaping up to be more of a celebration of the party's accomplishments than a leadership race.

Because Paul Martin has already been declared the winner and will be crowned Liberal leader on Friday evening, the party is planning a more festive atmosphere than might usually be expected at a leadership convention.

Mr. Martin will make his acceptance speech at the convention in Toronto at 7 p.m. Friday.

Later, members of the party will be serenaded by a number of Canadian rock bands and will enjoy a rare appearance and speech by rock legend Bono of U2.

Bono will be joined by Grammy award-winning producer and singer-songwriter Daniel Lanois, and Halifax rockers Sloan.

Other bands in the lineup include singers Ron Sexsmith, Amy Sky and Canadian Idol contestant Audrey deMontigny.

Ms. Sky will sing the national anthem.

Bono, meanwhile, will not introduce or endorse Mr. Martin, but will speak for about 15 minutes about the AIDS crisis in Africa. The Irish singer and icon recently sent a letter Monday to outgoing Prime Minister Jean Chr?tien, congratulating him for introducing generic drug legislation that would get cheap drugs to fight AIDS, malaria and other diseases to poor countries.

"This is so important, and puts Canada way out ahead in pioneering solutions so desperately needed by the poorest and most vulnerable. From the perspective of a pesky Irish rockster, your leadership in Africa will be a legacy that lives on and flourishes way beyond your time in office," the letter read in part.

Bono plans to thank both Mr. Chr?tien and Mr. Martin for their commitment to the AIDS crisis. But he will also tell them that much more needs to be done.

Before Mr. Martin becomes leader on Friday, Thursday evening is being set aside for a tribute to Mr. Chr?tien. The Prime Minister is expected to speak for about half an hour. The event will be hosted by Justin Trudeau, son of late former prime minister Pierre Trudeau.

Sheila Copps, the only other candidate besides Mr. Martin, who had only about 10 per cent of delegate support, will make a speech Friday morning before delegates cast their predetermined ballots. It is expected that Ms. Copps will back Mr. Martin and move the traditional motion that the convention make the winner's victory unanimous.

About 3,400 of a possible 5,500 paid delegates (it costs $995 to attend) are expected at the convention that begins Wednesday and ends Saturday.

With a report from Jane Taber and Campbell Clark

-- The Globe and Mail

Thanks Nathan!

miss-U2 said:
is someone here who plans to go there???
if there is someone, pleeeeeeaaaaaaase let me know!!! causi i will need this persone to give me a huge favour!!!!!!

i'll be there. but i'll also be busy.

what is it that you need?

oh god i love you!!!!!

let me explain to you...
first maybe, just go to band meetings and sightings, in pleba, and read the post about daniel...you will understand better!!!!

but i will need you to tell him this:
"hi, i am a friend of Emilie, the french girl u met in dublin, at the clarence last week...(then i hope he will say oh yeah!!!) she is back in galway, and she wants to know if u received the message and gift she left at the reception in the clarence and she would like you to keep in contact with her..."(and then maybe he will offer you a drink or so!!!)
that is simple!!!!

send me a mail, i will tell you much how to do so etc... miss_u2irish@hotmail.com!!!

well i don't think i'll be meeting either lanois or bono but if i do get the chance to i'll let him know. i will contact you later in the week.

miss-U2 said:
oh god i love you!!!!!

let me explain to you...
first maybe, just go to band meetings and sightings, in pleba, and read the post about daniel...you will understand better!!!!

"hi, i am a friend of Emilie, the french girl u met in dublin, at the clarence last week...(then i hope he will say oh yeah!!!) she is back in galway, and she wants to know if u received the message and gift she left at the reception in the clarence and she would like you to keep in contact with her..."(and then maybe he will offer you a drink or so!!!)
that is simple!!!!

send me a mail, i will tell you much how to do so etc... miss_u2irish@hotmail.com!!!
:applaud:
:applaud:
:cute::lol:
:cute::lol:

miss-U2 said:
oh god i love you!!!!!

let me explain to you...

that is simple!!!!

Hmmm... I'm getting the feeling you *are* interested in Mr. Lanois! Come on, admit it. :sexywink:

A question for fellow Canadians: Any idea what time Bono will be giving his speech? And will it be shown on TV?

This pic just showed up on Reuters :)

r2240586753.jpg

Back
Top Bottom