(11-05-03) A Liberal Convention Elevation Revelation -- The Canadian Press *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://media.canada.com/scripts/locate.asp?id=9e2b7c0e-36c7-4e3c-980c-305116296823[/SIMG]
Bono to appear at Martin event; Anka will croon oldies for PM: Irish rocker to speak

Alexander Panetta
The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Pop superstar Bono is expected to be a marquee attraction at the Liberal party's convention next week, adding glitter to what has been so far a lacklustre leadership race.

The U2 frontman is expected to make a guest speech at an evening party where Liberals will celebrate the coronation of Paul Martin as the federal party leader.

The Irish rocker was wooed by the Martin campaign in an attempt to spice up the victory celebration his organizers expect to hold a week from Friday.

Bono's appearance would add star power to an event that is seen as such a foregone conclusion that the Liberal party has had trouble attracting delegates to attend.

A Martin campaign source who did not want to be identified said Bono was expected to appear, and that he would speak to the thousands of Liberal delegates.

The prospect of Bono, with the trademark bug's eye sunglasses, attending a partisan political event in Toronto is not as implausible as it sounds.

The Grammy-winning singer has met with Jean Chr?tien, the outgoing Prime Minister, and Mr. Martin in the past.

Bono has talked extensively with Mr. Martin about a cause they share: relieving Third World debt. In 2000, the Irish rocker was brimming with praise for the then-finance minister's zeal for easing the burden of debt on poorer countries.

"He [Mr. Martin] struck me as more than a money man, actually, he had some vision about it," Bono said at the time.

"Canada doesn't have the size of debt that some of the other major players have, but for that reason, I think it has a chance to speak out and to take the moral high ground on this issue and we're really grateful to Paul Martin for that."

In addition to spurring interest in a drama-free convention, a Bono appearance would hammer home a message that Martin organizers have been trying to convey for months.

They want to portray the arrival of the 65-year-old prime minister-in-waiting as a changing of the generational guard from the retiring Mr. Chr?tien, who is just four years Mr. Martin's senior.

In contrast, the outgoing Mr. Chr?tien will have 1950s crooner Paul Anka and jazz legends Oscar Peterson and Oliver Jones performing at his going-away party.

U2 SONGS FOR WANNABE PMS:

Bono probably won't be bringing his band to Toronto when he comes to the Liberal party convention next week, but if he does, here are a few U2 songs that would pay fitting tribute to the wannabe prime ministers.

For Paul Martin, who has had the top job locked up for months:

Beautiful Day
A Celebration
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Rejoice
Desire
Elevation

For Sheila Copps, who definitely won't find what she is looking for:

Running to Stand Still
Wake Up Dead Man
Walk On
Exit
Gone
Another Time, Another Place
Do You Feel Loved?

? Copyright 2003 National Post

Thanks to Mrs.Edge and kobayashi

edited because no one taught me the order of the days of the week

it begins a week today, the 12th through to saturday, the 15th.

bono's speech will be prior to martin's victory speech on friday nite.

im going. you have to be a registered liberal and then pay...i think it was 1 100 for the convention.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if bono goes to support Martin. Awfully partisan of him to do so. Hopefully he doesn't.

iacrobat, as I understand it (and I am not Canadian so I only know what I've been told) he's not really going there to support Martin. He's going to talk about AIDS in Africa and how he hopes Canada, the nation, helps. It's about like him meeting with President Bush here (whom I don't support). That was about getting the U.S, as a nation, to help. He can't help it that Bush is our president and can't help it that Martin is going to be the next Canadian PM. They are who he has to talk to if Africa's going to get anything.

verte76 said:
iacrobat, as I understand it (and I am not Canadian so I only know what I've been told) he's not really going there to support Martin. He's going to talk about AIDS in Africa and how he hopes Canada, the nation, helps. It's about like him meeting with President Bush here (whom I don't support). That was about getting the U.S, as a nation, to help. He can't help it that Bush is our president and can't help it that Martin is going to be the next Canadian PM. They are who he has to talk to if Africa's going to get anything.

It's different than simply meeting with a leader to discuss aids. Martin is running to be leader of the Liberal party and that means he will take over when Chretien leaves and more than likely win the next election. So it appears that Bono is supporting Martin as the choice for Liberal leader and future prime minister of Canada. While it is honourable that Bono is going to speak about DATA, it rubs me the wrong way. Imagine Bono speaking at a rally for General Clark or a Democratic convention...it amounts to the same thing. He may be there to deliver a message, but to the public eye, he appears to be supporting the vision and politics of a particular party.

iacrobat said:

It's different than simply meeting with a leader to discuss aids. Martin is running to be leader of the Liberal party and that means he will take over when Chretien leaves and more than likely win the next election. So it appears that Bono is supporting Martin as the choice for Liberal leader and future prime minister of Canada. While it is honourable that Bono is going to speak about DATA, it rubs me the wrong way. Imagine Bono speaking at a rally for General Clark or a Democratic convention...it amounts to the same thing. He may be there to deliver a message, but to the public eye, he appears to be supporting the vision and politics of a particular party.

I'd be horrified if Bono made a talk at the Democratic National Convention next year, and for crying out loud I'm even going to vote for a Democrat next year! I think some Canadians are not liking this. Oh well............

I think a lot of people are looking at it as support because its even getting air play on the radio stations after every time a U2 song plays. I don't want U2 to bring to mind some political party, perhaps his heart is in the right place but politics is not a place for people with hearts.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with this (and I am a Canadian, and a Liberal).

Paul Martin is a strong supporter of the Drop the Debt foundation, and Bono has never hid his admiration for Paul Martin before. In fact, I believe that the two are friends.

Canada, like many others, is a country which offers it's people freedom of speech. Why shouldn't Bono be able to use this freedom to support someone who he respects?

Back
Top Bottom