(10-28-2002) Africare, Getting It Right - The Washington Post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.washingtonpost.com/

Out & About
By by roxanne roberts
Monday, October 28, 2002; Page C03

Africare, Getting It Right

Africare -- the largest nonprofit for aid to Africa -- did most things right at Thursday's annual dinner. Right: Raised close to $1 million for the HIV/AIDS effort in Africa. Right: Attracted celebs such as Harry Belafonte, U2 singer Bono and keynoter Andrew Young. "Pardon my shyness," joked Bono to 2,000 guests at the Hilton Washington. "I'm not used to speaking to less than 20,000." Bono told Belafonte: "You were doing God's work while I was in Ireland learning the Devil's music."

Right: Organizers tried to underplay Belafonte's criticism of Colin Powell (last year's keynote speaker). Earlier this month, Belafonte implied that the secretary of state was a house slave: "When Colin Powell dares to suggest something other than what the master wants to hear, he will be turned back out to pasture." Africare President Julius Coles tried to shift focus: "The larger picture is helping Africa, and not politics," he said. Right: The scratchy-voiced calypso singer didn't make any excuses for his comment, but did offer an explanation of sorts. "I will try not to embarrass you," Belafonte told the crowd. "But I cannot be still. . . . I say what I have to . . . and I wish nobody harm."

Wrong: The party-o overdid the "Day-O" thing.

Back
Top Bottom