(10-20-2002) Former U2 tour manager is new city of culture director - Irish Examiner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.examiner.ie/

19/10/02
Former U2 tour manager is new city of culture director
By Sean O?Riordan

THE post of director for the Cork 2005 European City of Culture was filled last night, just four days after the incumbent quit in controversial circumstances.

Cork city manager Joe Gavin announced that John Kennedy, a former production and tour manager with U2, is to take over the position vacated by Scotsman Bryan Beattie. He resigned the 90,000-a-year job last Monday before he was due to start work.

At the time Mr Beattie said: ?I was not reassured by Joe Gavin, city manager of Cork City Council, that an appropriate working relationship could exist between the director and the city manager that would allow the successful undertaking of the job.?

He said the 13m allocated for the projects was inadequate as other cities of culture have budgeted around 30m. Mr Gavin rejected Mr Beattie?s claims saying he has offered him his full support

Mr Kennedy, is a native of Dublin who worked as production manager on the acclaimed TV series Bringing It All Back Home.

Mr Kennedy also managed Ireland?s National Day at Expo 2000 in Germany, worked as project director with the Temple Bar Music Centre and has broad experience in dealing with broadcast and print media.

?I am delighted with the appointment. I intend to engage the entire community in this project. The project can only be regarded as a success if all of Cork?s citizens have an opportunity to participate in this celebration of our culture,? Mr Kennedy said.

He said that over the coming months he would work closely with the arts community putting in place a comprehensive cultural programme of events for 2005.

?I will also be looking to the business sector for sponsorship and financial support to ensure that an adequate budget is available to do justice to this major undertaking and to deliver a product of which Cork can be rightly proud,? Mr Kennedy added.

He will work closely with Mary McCarthy, who has been seconded from her post as director of the National Sculpture Factory, and Tom McCarthy who has been seconded from Cork City Library. Additional staff will be recruited and a range of consultants engaged in the coming months.

Lord Mayor of Cork Cllr John Kelleher welcomed Mr Kennedy?s appointment and wished him every success. Mr Kennedy will officially take up duties next Monday

Back
Top Bottom