(10-14-2002) Q: Who is world's 'best act'? - ITV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.itv.com/

Entertainment News

Q: Who is world's 'best act'?
19.52PM BST, 14 Oct 2002

Oasis, Coldplay and U2 are all vying for the title of best act in the world as the shortlist for the respected Q Awards was unveiled today. They are up against Radiohead and Stereophonics for the prize, which will be handed out later this month.

Oasis have the highest tally of nominations at the awards, organised by rock magazine Q, after making it on to the best single and best live act lists. The Gallagher brothers have previously won the best act in the world title four times, as have U2, although the Irish stars' last win was back in 1993.

Radiohead are also former winners, having landed the prize last year on the back of their Amnesiac album.

Coldplay, Australia's The Vines and US rock veterans Red Hot Chili Peppers picked up a total of two nominations each for the awards, with all three on the best album shortlist.

Coldplay's A Rush Of Blood To The Head, The Vines' Highly Evolved and the Chili Peppers' By The Way are up against Beth Orton's Daybreaker and Doves' The Last Broadcast for best album .

Sweden's The Hives are also double nominees up for best single and best video for Hate To Say I Told You So. There was further acclaim for Coldplay and the Red Hot Chili Peppers as the producers of their albums were shortlisted for a prize.

The awards will be handed out at a ceremony - hosted by TV presenters Adam and Joe - in north London a week today.

Nominations were drawn up from the most popular acts after eight weeks of voting by Q readers. Music fans showed their dissatisfaction with pop talent shows with three TV judges up for the "Q Unwanted" title- Geri Halliwell, Simon Cowell and Pete Waterman.

Q editor Danny Eccleston said: "It's great to see such a broad cross-section of music represented in the shortlist of nominees."

The full list of nominees:

Best new act - The Bees;Cooper Temple Clause; The Coral; Electric Soft Parade; The Vines.

Best single - The Hives, Hate To Say I Told You So; Nickelback, How You Remind Me; Oasis, Hindu Times; Red Hot Chili Peppers, By the Way; Sugababes, Freak Like Me.

Best video - Eminem, Without Me; The Hives, Hate To Say I Told You So; Kylie, Can't Get You Out Of My Head; Marilyn Manson, Tainted Love; Pink, Get The Party Started.

Best producer - Rick Rubin (Red Hot Chili Peppers, By The Way); Tony Visconti (David Bowie, Heathen); Ken Nelson/Mark Phythian (Coldplay, A Rush of Blood To The Head); Moby (Moby, 18); Weezer and Tom Lord-Alge (Weezer, Maladroit).

Best live act - The Hives; Muse; Oasis; The Strokes; White Stripes.

Best album - Coldplay, A Rush Of Blood To The Head; Doves, The Last Broadcast; Beth Orton, Daybreaker; Red Hot Chili Peppers, By The Way; The Vines, Highly Evolved.

Best act in the world today - Coldplay; Oasis; Radiohead; Stereophonics; U2.

Q unwanted - Geri Halliwell; Simon Cowell; Pete Waterman.

Back
Top Bottom