(09-22-2002) Storey attends taping of Oprah show - The Sheridan Press

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.thesheridanpress.com/People.htm

Storey attends taping of Oprah show
Meets guest Bono of U2 in person

By Robert Waggener
Staff reporter

Sheridan resident Ann Storey can?t figure out why David Letterman has such a rocky relationship with television talk host Oprah Winfrey.

"She is so lively and so energetic. And she?s so funny," Storey said.

How does Storey know? She met Oprah in her Chicago recording studio this week. Adding to the excitement was a personal visit with Bono, the lead singer for U2.

"I got to put on Bono?s glasses, oh my gosh," said Storey, who graduated from Sheridan College earlier this year and leaves this week for Western Washington University in Bellingham.

"Bono took off his glasses, handed them to Oprah, and then Oprah handed them to me. Bono doesn?t take his glasses off for anyone," Storey said with a grin.

Storey had attended a U2 concert last November in Denver, and was so inspired by Bono?s music and his relief work in Africa she decided to write a letter to Oprah.

"?The goal is soul.? When I heard these words sung by Bono, the way I viewed the world, and myself as a part of it, was forever changed," Storey wrote to Oprah.

"From that moment on I decided to do everything possible to find, feed, and nourish my soul. U2 has long been my favorite band and their music has definitely been food for my soul. Each album is in some way important to me. I can listen to any one, at any time, and find happiness, frustration, sadness and joy," she wrote.

Storey told The Sheridan Press she didn?t expect to hear from Oprah, but was shocked last Wednesday when two producers from Winfrey?s television show called the home of her parents, Susan and Mike Storey, of Sheridan.

Oprah had invited Bono to be her guest for last night?s show, the producers said, adding Oprah thought the young Sheridan woman would like to join them.

It didn?t take much arm twisting.

Storey and her mother loaded a plane a short time later, and headed to Chicago where they spent time with the two stars. Storey was scheduled to appear on Oprah?s "After Show" last night. She said Oprah?s recording studio is almost as cool as Oprah.

"She?s a lot shorter than I thought she would be," Storey said.

On a more serious note, she noted, it didn?t take long to find out who directed the Oprah Show.

"She absolutely runs the show," Storey said.

She added Bono is a lot different in person than on the stage.

"He?s the coolest human being. He?s so humble and sincere. He has his rock-star personality, but he also has his human being personality, and that?s what I got to meet."

In her letter to Oprah, Storey said, "The reason I?m writing to you is because I know you understand the value of making your life count. You also know what it?s like to be a fan, a true fan. I want to meet U2 and I want to tell them in person how much they mean to me and how they?ve impacted my life.

"I want them to know that what they do makes a difference and that they are loved and truly appreciated. "

Storey continued, "I was first aware of groups like Amnesty International by seeing them in the CD covers of U2?s albums. I have learned though U2 and groups they support about events and people I would have probably never paid attention to."

Storey said she has since joined Amnesty International.

"It sounded like a good idea, something people should do," she said.

Storey said she appreciates stars like Bono trying to make a difference in places like Africa.

"The United States is not an island. We?re not alone. I am learning that some other countries don?t see us the way we like to see ourselves, and Bono has helped inspire me to see the world differently," said Storey, a Sheridan High School graduate.

Storey hopes to major in recreation and international studies at WWU.

"It?s kind of a weird combination, but I?m going to give it a try. I don?t want to sound kind of corny and stupid, but I want to make the world a better place."

Thank you, follower!!

Back
Top Bottom