(09-10-2002) Reflections: Springsteen, Bono, and Other Artists Remember Tragedy - ABC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://abcnews.go.com

Reflections on Sept. 11
Springsteen, Bono, and Other Artists Remember Tragedy

Sept. 10 ? When the tragedy struck, the glittering world of show business abruptly vanished. Concerts were canceled. Celebrities disappeared from newspapers.

But in the days to come, countless artists put on benefit shows and donated money. Old songs took on new meaning, nurturing weary souls. And new music captured America's reborn spirit.

In a rare showing of unity, nearly every TV network joined to air a two-hour commercial-free broadcast, America: A Tribute To Heroes, on Sept. 26, bringing together an unprecedented lineup of all-star talent, raising about $150 million in pledges.

Pop stars who had never been expected to provide much more than light entertainment suddenly found they had a tremendous role in soothing the pain, songs like Five For Fighting's "Superman" and the Calling's "Wherever You May Go" became anthems.

Other musicians, like U2's Bono and Bruce Springsteen, articulated the pain in heartrending detail.

Here are what some entertainers had to say, in the aftermath of Sept. 11.

?We Pray Today ??

"Towards the end of the day, there's a bridge where you can see the World Trade Center ? only about 10 or 15 miles from downtown New York and there they sat. ? It made it somehow realer than the TV images and it was just mainly a day of gathering of your neighbors and friends and wondering what was to come."
? Bruce Springsteen, recalling how he watched the disaster at the twin towers from his home in New Jersey.

"We pray today that from the ashes of the Trade Center, the Pentagon, and that field in Pennsylvania that will rise a new spirit of beauty and unity in our country, creating a new tapestry of one heart, one hope, one voice, one America."
? Oprah Winfrey, at an inter-faith prayer service at Yankee Stadium for victims' loved ones.

"I'd like everyone to say a prayer for peace. I'd like everyone to say a prayer that President Bush practices restraint in his decision-making because violence only begets violence ? I don't know about you but I want to live a long happy life. I want my kids to live a long, happy life."
? Madonna, the first major entertainer to perform after the attack, on stage in Los Angeles, on Sept. 13.

"The show's producer called me and there is no question for me to come and sing my song and try and help. I mean, there's no other answer. Even if I were incapable, I would show up and do my best to try to sing."
? Mariah Carey, who was hospitalized for nervous exhaustion in the summer of 2001, on performing "Hero" at the Tribute to Heroes telethon.

"I was scared that we were all going to die. As a Canadian, I didn't go through this experience any different than you. It touched my heart as much. I had no choice. I had to go."
? Celine Dion telling Barbara Walters about her fear in performing on the Tribute to Heroes show.

"I don't have the results back yet, but I'm taking my Cipro. And I'm not worried because they say, 'That's that. You're going to be fine.'"
? Carole King, who was lobbying in Washington on environmental issues and feared she might have been exposed to Anthrax.

"There's nothing in your life that's exempt from being touched upon in lyrics, particularly with something so tragic and catastrophic ? Our nature is to be sideline commentators and try to give scope to something that's so hugely affecting."
? Sheryl Crow, at the City of Hope dinner last October, talking of the need to write music the attacks.

"Fate really took hold of our album and really changed those songs. I didn't know what they were about."
? Bono on how Sept. 11 made U2's multiple Grammy-winning album All That You Can't Leave Behind take on a new meaning.

"I think people were looking for a way to focus their emotions ? and pay tribute to people. It was cathartic to play The Concert for New York. I actually had a chance to sit down and show how much I love and respect these people who showed us the best of themselves."
? Five for Fighting's John Ondrasik, on performing his hit "Superman" for rescue workers.

"I had a hard time. There was part of me that wanted to pack my bags and go home to Phoenix to my mom and dad and I really had a long talk with my mother and she said, 'You know, in World War II there was the USO and there were people who played for the troops and that's who you are right now. You need to get a grip on the sadness that you feel."
? Stevie Nicks, who was in New York during the attacks and contemplated canceling her tour last fall.

"In the days and weeks ahead, when you see us out here being silly and telling jokes, some people will understand and some won't and those that don't, well, you know, Nightline is a great show, too."
? Jay Leno on returning to the air a week after the terrorist attacks.

ABCNEWS Radio contributed to this report.

Copyright ? 2002 ABCNEWS Internet Ventures.

Back
Top Bottom