(08-27-2003) More on U2's Phoenix Park Gig - Belfast Telegraph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/

U2 keen to headline Phoenix Park gig
By Alison O'Connor

THE Republic's government has been asked if U2 can headline a major gig at Dublin's Phoenix Park next summer.

Following the success of the Robbie Williams concert earlier this month, an approach was made to the Department of the Environment - Minister Martin Cullen makes the decisions on what concerts will be held in the park.

Last night concert promoters MCD Productions poured cold water on the idea, saying U2 were not being considered for the line-up. However, the band's name had been mentioned in initial discussions.

The Phoenix Park is only offered for three events major music events each year, and two of those must be free to the public. It is too soon to say whether the negotiations will prove successful, but it is understood that Mr Cullen was pleased with the success of Robbie Williams' concert and would be keen for U2 to play.

The Robbie Williams concert, the largest ever open-air rock concert to be held in Ireland, was generally acknowledged to have been a huge success, with the British pop star playing to a sell-out crowd of 135,000.

The gig was the biggest event in the Phoenix Park since the Pope came in 1979, and it is understood U2 are keen to play to such a big crowd in the centre of Dublin. U2 last played a major gig in Ireland at Slane in the summer of 2001.

if it's happening...i'm going, even if i have to sell my left arm to the mafia...i have decided...

i wish...

Back
Top Bottom