(08-20-2002) 'With Or Without You' Named Number Two Love Song - Evening Standard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk

The top ten ladies' love songs

Chris de Burgh or Phil Collins? Nah. Women these days prefer these songs to get the tear ducts flowing...

1. Paul Weller, You Do Something To Me (1995)
2. U2, With Or Without You (1987)
3. Roberta Flack, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (1972)
4. Madonna, Crazy For You (1985)
5. Moody Blues, Nights In White Satin (1967)
6. Bon Jovi, Bed of Roses (1993)
7. Frankie Goes To Hollywood, The Power Of Love (1984)
8. Eric Clapton, Wonderful Tonight (1977)
9. Nilsson, Without You (1972)
10. Righteous Brothers, Unchained Melody (1965)

Amusing, as I wouldn't consider WOWY a "love" song in the usual sense. I see it more being about confusion, about being torn. On the one hand, he (the generic "he" here) has a love for someone, but on the other, the someone has done something that by its nature makes that love impossible. What is that something? "Sleight of hand" - dishonesty.

bonovoxorg said:
Amusing, as I wouldn't consider WOWY a "love" song in the usual sense. I see it more being about confusion, about being torn. On the one hand, he (the generic "he" here) has a love for someone, but on the other, the someone has done something that by its nature makes that love impossible. What is that something? "Sleight of hand" - dishonesty.

I'm inclined to agree with you...WOWY is a painful song. However, one not listening closely to the lyrics may not pick up on that.

Back
Top Bottom