(08-08-2003) U2's New Home (press release w/ photos) - DDDA *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(08-08-2003) U2's New Home (press release w/ photo) - DDA *

[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/news/dda3.jpg[/SIMG]
Winning Design on a New Home for U2

Burdon Dunne Architects/Craig Henry Architects of Blackrock, Co. Dublin has today been announced the winner of the Docklands Authority?s Architectural Competition to design a landmark tower development at Britain Quay in Dublin?s Docklands. The winning design featuring a unique twisting tower was selected from well over 500 entries from across the globe. The proposed tower is to include an exclusive recording studio for U2 on its top two floors.

Designed as a symbolic landmark at the end of Sir John Rogerson?s Quay, the architects intended the building to be a new interface between the solidity of the docklands area and the ever-moving landscape of the tidal Liffey and Dodder rivers.

dda1.jpg

dda2.jpg

dda3.jpg

Peter Coyne, Chief Executive of the Docklands Authority, said today: ?the winning design provides a unique and remarkable landmark for the city. Overall, we were delighted with the response to the competition, not only in terms of the huge number of entries, but particularly by the impressive quality of the work received.?

The Docklands Authority will now be reviewing development options for the proposed concept design and it is hoped that the tower would be developed during 2004/2005. In the meantime, the winning entry along with over 100 entries shortlisted by the judges will be on view at an exhibition in September.

The jury specially commended a further four entries as follows:

? Simon Innes and Stephen Barton, architects, London, United Kingdom
? Thomas P. Mont Alto, Mont Alto Architecture Inc., Ohio, USA
? Niall Scott, architect, Scott Tallon Walker Architects, Dublin, Ireland
? Herv? Tordjman, HTA ? Architecture. H. Tordjman & Partners, Paris, France

The competition, which was prepared in association with the RIAI, invited architects to submit concept proposals for a slim ?point? block over four or more substantial floors providing recording studios, offices and ground floor bar/restaurant/entertainment venue. Entries were submitted to a jury put together by the Docklands Authority which included a member of the U2 band.

Images of the winning entry and details of the upcoming exhibition will be available on our website, www.dublindocklands.ie.

Thanks to Devlin!!

This has got to be the best thing to ever happen to the ladder industry in Ireland! I can see it now, crazed fans will grab ladders and go to this building to try to get looks at their idols!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

U2girl91289 said:

If they do that, I WILL scale the tower and yell at them! LOL

as will i.:yes:

:scream: they better hurry im getting restless.:crack: so... desprate... for... awesome music. can't... wait... any longer.:combust:

Nice! Cool to have a studio on top of that tower-I imagine it will be inspiring.

It's an interesting looking design... it is a bit of an eyesore on the dock like that though. A bit of a pharoah's lighthouse rip-off... I can only cringe at the "beacon of light" clich?s that some will utter.

Wow, I think that looks seriously cool.

*goes away to prepare plans to climb it when it's built*

I do not want to be negative,

but I will be.

I am not a fan of this design, I would have expected a bit more.

I am too negative.

Personally, I've nothing against the design...very futuristic but my main gripe is I'm certain that U2 fans are not going to have the same access to meeting U2 at this studio as they did just around the corner on Hanover Quay. Sometimes, change is not a good thing!! Hope I'm proven wrong!

Back
Top Bottom