(06-22-2003) Bono Receives Death Threats - Sunday Mirror *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/

I WILL KILL YOU, BONO
By Paul Davis

ROCK star Bono's security has been stepped up following a string of death threats sparked by his campaign to help the world's poor. The U2 frontman and father-of-four has been told that the Royal Mail special investigations branch had asked Scotland Yard's Special Branch to investigate dozens of sick letters. Now his security team is set to lay on extra protection for Bono and his family.

So far, 24 letters - full of vile abuse, foul language, racial insults and death threats - have been intercepted. All were sent from London.

One threatened: "You have been warned and you and your do-gooder friends had better watch out. F*** the foreigners and help your own people."

Another makes filthy racist slurs against the people Bono, 43, has been helping in his crusade to help the world's poor. An extract from the first letter reads: "If this carries on you will end up in a box."

The letters were addressed to his management company at Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin.

Now Scotland Yard will carry out forensic tests on the letters and envelopes to trace either the fingerprints or DNA of the author.

The original tip came from a Post Office sorting room in London where a worker's suspicion was raised by the lurid green ink.

A Royal Mail investigating officer explained: "In time Bono may have to be interviewed because of the nature of the letters.

"An application was made to intercept the mail which gives the post office the right to open it. The contents were very racist and referred to Bono helping relieve Third World debt.

"These letters have been passing through London sorting offices for at least two years.

"There are references to harm or even kill him so if we find the culprit he will definitely face charges of making threats to kill.

"First we will be looking at saliva used to seal the envelopes as this will contain DNA We will also fingerprint everything and move on from there. The letters were spotted because of the unusual green ink."

Police at Scotland Yard are taking the threats to Bono's life very seriously.

They now have to investigate all threats against stars following the murder of Jill Dando by crazed fan Barry Bulsara.

The Royal Mail officer added: "No doubt many letters got through to their target - whether or not Bono opened them is another thing.

"Sending this kind of material through the post is an offence punishable by a prison spell. So we don't need a victim (in this case Bono) to go ahead with a prosecution - although it would help."

The police have collected 24 of the letters which were posted over the past two years - all traceable to an area in South-East London. The main thrust of the letters is that Bono should stay out of politics and stop getting involved in matters "which have nothing to do with him".

A police source said: "Most of the letters were posted in Borough High Street in South East London. It's not a highly populated area and it's assumed that the culprit either works in the area or is one of the few people that lives there. We are hoping to have tracked the culprit down within the next month.

"Whoever is doing this isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the box, but we never ignore threats like these, particularly in light of what happened to Jill Dando."

Bono's crusades have also been the cause for concern for FBI agents who believe the star could be a target for Muslim extremists. Islamic fundamentalists backed by Osama bin Laden issued a terrifying fatwa against him and fellow campaigner Aaron Cohen last year. Mr Cohen, president of the Jubilee Foundation, received more than 200 poison pen emails and phone calls last year following his exposure - with the support of Bono - of the vile slave trade in Sudan. Bono's security staff were informed of the threats, which echoed those issued to Satanic Verses author Salman Rushdie in the early 90s.

But in spite of the threat on his life, Bono did not make any changes to his campaigning or decide to give up.

A pal said: "Bono will never give up his crusades.

"He is a key player in the campaign to end Third World debt, and will not be silenced by death threats."

It's scary, but there is no use living your life in fear, and I'm glad Bono realizes that.

I can't even fathom how many lives would be affected if something devastating like that was to happen.

I'm really glad Bono continues he's campiagin and realizes you can't live your life in fear, and I really hope this sick :censored: gets what he deserves :rant:

But at the same time, this just makes my heart pound...:sad:

bono's safety

i read that article on here about bono having recent death threats. i am wondering how safe he really is. i just dont want him to become another rock n roll tragedy. we need men like bono in this world. i just hope that capture the individuals who are behind this. also, i am sure though, that all celebrities get death threats and odd mail on a regular basis.

This is so sick and scary...I sure hope they catch this guy. Sounds like he's a few cards short of a full deck. So, maybe they will catch him.
I sure hope so...
I can't even fathom something happening to our B-man. I am very proud of him continuing his work with 3rd world debt, aids.

So keep it up Bono, and don't let the bastards get you down!

WE :heart: LOVE YA!!! :hug:

Sick people

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I hope this person is to be caught soon. I am not waiting for another kind of objectionable practices like happened with our politician in memoriam Pim Fortuyn. :(

Keep on doing the good things in live Bono! Don't let the bastards get you down!

A worried Fan.

Since you said you read the article here, that must mean you were in the U2 News forum. There is already a discussion going on in there. I would move this thread and merge it, but since I'm not a mod in that forum, I'd be unable to merge it.

To try to keep the discussion more organized, I am going to close this thread.

If anybody would like to talk about this, please see the thread in the U2 News forum:

http://forum.interference.com/t78624.html

Thanks!! :wave:

this is so :censored: scary
i hope Bono and his family are doing ok
he can get through this though
it will soon be forgotten
:no:
:censored:
:censored:

Last edited:
they better get that ass hole.
bono is the man notting can happen to him may god be with him
:mad:

I dont understand why people are like this!! Everyone knows that in all countries there are problems so what does it really matter that Bono is helping Africa and not supposedly helping his own country. I say to anyone that helps anyone GOOD JOB and keep up the good work!! I hope that this is all nonsense :no:

the freaky thing is, just last night i had a dream that i was driving bono around washington, DC and someone kept shooting at us. in the end the dude was caught and bono was unharmed. maybe that's a sign........

I just hope Scotland Yard busts the :censored: and throws him in jail where he belongs. I'm glad they have modern forensic technology to arrest :censored:'s like this scum. :censored: :censored: :censored:

:(

I was sickened by the news this morning of something truly vile that happened in Australia during the weekend:(
and now this:(:(:(:(:(
Keep him safe, please

yertle-the-turtle said:
what a wanker. let's forget that bono's bono for a while, this is a man with a wife and kids. :angry:

this is very true, you're much right

why do they release this information? i'm sure whoever wrote it is getting off on the attention his letters are receiving. they should keep it quiet and put this guy away with no publicity......

My god--people are just nuts. It's so insane that someone who tries to HELP people gets death threats! It seems that whenever someone is famous for being concerned and involved (MLK...?) they bring down the wrath of nuts out there who have no way to deal with their own rage and lack of self worth.

And as for not helping people in his own country--I think that Bono and U2 have done LOADS to try to help Ireland find some sort of peace...it gets to the point when it's up to the people there to continue the good works. And whenever I think of people here who have bad lives, I just remember that on my WORST day, my life is a zillion times better than the BEST day of millions of people in Africa. Why begrudge them any comfort?

:|

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom