(06-20-2003) U2 Signs on for rescheduled Mandela Concert - MTV *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.mtvnews.com

The canceled Concert for Nelson Mandela, originally scheduled for February, has been recast for November 30. Bono and the surviving members of Queen are the only artists confirmed thus far for the event, which will take place in Capetown, South Africa.

Perhaps we will get a chance to hear that Joe Strummer-Bono tune just yet.

I haven?t had my morning coffee yet but I just woke up and I see that the SOS Mandela Concert has been rescheduled!! for November 30. Great news! Not August 28th / MLK but it is something and I am sure it will be special and effective for the AIDS emergency in Africa. And who knows maybe something can still be done with that anniversary day. If not it can still be connected to the Nov. 30th concert (This ?whole? year is the 40th anniversary). A Nelson Mandela speech ?I Still Have A Dream??

About a week ago I thought of this idea.

Dear Bono ? Nelson Mandela ? Bob Geldof - Quincy Jones - Artists Against AIDS Worldwide - Oprah ? Muhummad Ali ? Kofi Annan ? Bobby Shriver ? Jeffrey Sachs - Bill Gates - DATA

2 Benefit Concerts To Commemorate The 40th Anniversary Civil Rights March And MLK?s ?I Have A Dream? Speech In Washington D.C. August 28, 1963 And To Raise Awareness / Funds For The AIDS Emergency In Africa / DATA - World Wide Broadcast

Hearing the new and inspiring version of U2?s Where The Streets Have No Name by Richie Bailey (mixing in the snippet of ?Let Freedom Ring? from the ?I Have A Dream? MLK speech on August 28,1963) got me thinking about MLK and how Bono mentioned him at the end of the Oprah interview last September. At the time, I thought it would be a great idea for Bono to be involved in organizing a march in Washington on August 28, 2003 in order to commemorate the 40th anniversary of MLK?s march and his ?I Have A Dream? speech. This anniversary march can be an occasion to call for a further realization of the equality of African Americans in the U.S. and a connection to the human rights campaign for Africans (DATA). I hope something happens. Hey, Bono could even sing the song ?40? at the event!

There was going to be a benefit concert earlier this year in South Africa with Nelson Mandela regarding the AIDS epidemic in Africa but it was canceled. Why not have 2 worldwide televised benefit concerts on August 28th ? one in Washington D.C. and the second in South Africa? There is the wonderful connection between the social justice leaders Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela. I imagine that if MLK were alive today that among the things he would be advocating and campaigning for would include the principles and proposals of the DATA organization. There is the connection between the struggle and the success of the civil rights movement for African Americans and applying that inspiration and commitment to the emergency and the human rights of Africans in Africa. I would like to see Nelson Mandela make a new I Have A Dream speech on August 28. This time the powerful and historic speech can be for Africans and for all of humanity.

There was the effort of the benefit / awareness What?s Going On? CD single and video by Artists Against AIDS Worldwide in 2001. Due to 9/11 it did not receive that much attention. This August 28th event could resurrect it. Bono co-wrote a song ?48864? with Joe Strummer for the canceled South African AIDS concert. He has said that it will be released on an AIDS emergency album coming out this Fall.

There is the new song ?American Prayer? from the ?Heart Of America? Tour formally recorded in New York on December 10, 2002. This August 28th event could be an excellent means to promote this AIDS emergency album. A live album and DVD too. The DVD could be filled with an assortment of educational features.

This August 28th event can be one of the steps in fulfilling what was started at Live Aid in 1985. This August 28th event can be done! They brought together the 9/11 America: A Tribute To Heroes in a week! Thank you for your consideration.

Check out a new mix of Where The Streets Are Free At Last:
http://www.bailey7.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/u2tv.htm

I'd like one big band with U2 and Brian May and John Deacon and Roger Taylor thrashing out some old Queen tunes, kind of like Dave Grohl did at the Rock Hall induction.

Say... that gives me some ideas for some song cover polls.... :mac:

Back
Top Bottom