(06-16-2004) Bono Interview from Dazed & Confused Magazine - Fabrica*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Interview from Dazed & Confused Magazine
By Jefferson Hack

Ed note: Below is an excerpt from the interview

Bono has a huge international reach, and unlike many of today?s superstars, he doesn?t take the enormous social responsibility that comes with it lightly. Along with the rest of U2, Bono has a long history of campaigning for human rights and in the battle against global poverty and suffering. From the rallying cry of ?Sunday Bloody Sunday? to the moment he phoned Bill Clinton live on stage as images of a besieged Sarajevo flashed across giant screens ? politics and rock?n?roll have rarely been fused so effectively. It?s a policy he took one step further with the Jubilee 2000 ?Drop the Debt? campaign, lobbying G8 leaders to reduce and ultimately cancel the crippling debt repayments that burden third world countries. Famous for having his sunglasses snatched by the Pope, Bono is rarely side-tracked from being a rock solid fighter for Africa?s escape from poverty.

Dazed & Confused: You have been to South Africa on several occasions and witnessed how Aids affects people?s lives, which African stories have left the biggest impression on you...

Bono: Two of the most inspiring stories of the last 50 years to have come out of South Africa, one has been well recorded, that?s Nelson Mandela. But the second story is the Truth and Reconciliation campaign. Archbishop Tutu has created a model that you could apply to the Middle East, to Northern Island, to Bosnia. It?s the most extraordinary thing to see relatives of murdered protestors standing in front of the people who shot their wife and ask them questions like: ?Do you remember a woman wearing a green dress, she was waving at the time when you shot her.? And then with tears rolling down their face, both of them often, the victims and the perpetrators, and talking. Just to get to the truth, not to get to a result that puts people behind bars. I think that it is the most extraordinary jump in human consciousness that I?ve heard about in a very long time. We visited the headquarters of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and we met with Desmond Tutu. So we all walked into the room, just completely honoured to meet him. We were exchanging pleasantries and then he just turned around and said, ?Can we bow our heads now please?? We all had to bow our heads and he made this prayer, which just changed the molecular structure of the room and everyone in it, and suddenly we weren?t tourists any more; suddenly he was reminding us of what was really going on here. I asked him a rather stupid question afterwards. I said, ?Do you get time with all this work for prayer and meditation yourself?? And he just looked at me, threw a scowl at me, a real rebuke. He just stopped in his tracks and said, ?How do you think we would do this if we didn?t take time out for prayer?? I was scolded by the great man! And of course he?s all laughs normally. Then afterwards he brought us upstairs and said, ?Look, I have a few people who would like to meet the band,? and we said okay, great. So we went upstairs. There were six hundred people sitting there. He brought us out and said, ?Ladies and Gentlemen, I have for you, to sing a song, U2!?, and we had no instruments, nothing! We just looked at each other, just like rabbits in the headlights. The only thing I could think of singing was ?Amazing Grace?, which turns out was appropriate; it is a story of grace interrupting karma. If Nelson Mandela?s story is the most inspirational for their liberty, this is for our liberty.

D&C: People have to put the issues from the past behind them, but the issues from the past have to be dealt with...

B: This is probably the best compromise I can imagine. I don?t know I?d have the grace to accept it myself if I had suffered such mistreatment. But when it happens it?s remarkable.

To read the entire interview, please visit:
http://www.fabrica.it/futurepositive/bono.htm

Many thanks to Debbie K!

Last edited:
nice way of putting it as always Bono.. I adore Archibishop Tutu nice to hear Bono speak of him like that and his efforts.. Bono I think really does hit the nail on the head with not expecting the pharm companies to be charity.. cause they are business..in a perfect world they would give them away for free.. but in our world it is up to governments and people to put pressure on them ..

I felt like I had gone into the Mad Hatters tea party. I felt like somebody had dropped acid into my tea and I had woken up into this horrible nightmare that was the everyday life of these people, making choices, that no human being should have to make. To me this is like some Kafka novel where you can?t actually believe what is happening. These drugs cost fucking nothing to make after research. At a time when people do not think that we are such a benign force in the world, we are letting people die for the stupidest of reasons. Money. It is so fucked up! And this girl, Prudence, her story is repeated everywhere.
I love that reference to the Mad Hatter ..cause you try and describe to other people what it feels like for you to hear these stories and see the people living them and Bono got it exactly like it feels for me..like a very bad episode of Alice in Wonderland.. theres that moment I think where you are just so overwhelmed and you just dont understand it and you just cant believe it's happening it's like the Mad Hatters Tea Party

Yes, Kate, this interview with Bono IS one of the better ones that I have seen him do recently. :yes:

Maybe it's because he was speaking with a South African magazine - thick in the middle of the AIDS pandemic - that Bono felt SO relaxed and confident to REALLY SPEAK HIS MIND!:up: :angel:

I found the section about the Mad Hatter's party a GREAT analogy too. The whole situation for the People of Africa with their struggle against AIDS and poverty IS TOTALLY CONFOUNDING, because it IS TOTALLY PREVENTABLE!

That is the central point that Bono continues to make - we, in the developed world CAN STOP THE SUFFERING OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE in Africa and around the world, IF WE WANT TO.

It is up to EACH OF US to unite (TO BECOME ONE) and stand up for Peace with Justice for the world's poor, especially for Africa.

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH THAT IS IN YOUR HEART AND SOUL!:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

Back
Top Bottom