(06-08-2003) New U2 Album Set For Early 2004? - Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.interference.com

New U2 in February 2004?

Some interesting news from Interference's Rafmed tonight...

U2 sound engineer Joe O'Herlihy, currently on tour with another big Irish band - the Cranberries - who are slated as the opening act for the Rolling Stones in Munich, Germany - has stated that the new U2 Album is due for release in February 2004. The new songs are said to be similar to All That You Can't Leave Behind, but with harder guitar sounds.

As for the new U2 tour, the planned start date will be either May or September 2004, if the release of the album shifts, according O'Herlihy. It is not yet known if the tour will be in closed arenas or in open air stadiums. The very successful Elevation Tour played to smaller, closed arenas in most cities.

Thanks to Rafmed, and u2tour.de

as long as the come to australia i will be happy....that proberbley wont be till 2005 unless they start here...
none the less good news!

Sounds good, but I wouldn't mind having the tour start in September if it meant that there would be more time to work on the album. Either way, I'm going to try and get out there. The two bands that I've been dying to see are U2 and Pearl Jam. I missed seeing the latter again (I live three hours away from the closest concert and don't drive and had high school finals the next day.....), so I REALLY, REALLY need to see U2. Being there to here the opening notes of "Streets" would definitely be a highlight of my life for me. :yes:

And honestly, how can the new album be like ATYCLB and still "rawk" as it is supposed to? I think the recent ATYCLB comparisons are simply because both albums are stripped away and sort of "basic" in their production styles. But, I really think that the new one won't really sound too much like the last. Kind of like how Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop all have similarities, but are all strikingly different albums.

"The new songs are said to be similar to All That You Can't Leave Behind, but with harder guitar sounds."

I wish he could have been a little more vague.

BigMacPhisto said:
I really think that the new one won't really sound too much like the last. Kind of like how Achtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop all have similarities, but are all strikingly different albums. [/B]

That sounds about right....... But I'm not sure if I can wait 'till Sept 2004 for the tour!!:no:

this is rediculous. how long does it take them?! they should go into the studio for four weeks tops and say "whatever we can do in this time is good enough."

and dont tell me it wouldnt be good. im positive that if you leave the four of them in a room for a ONE day they couldnt come up with some of the greatest stuff youve ever heard.

hurry up already.

U2 album rankings????

In Big Macphisto's post there are album rankings.

I have to disagree with those rankings. Who voted? I mean, have they listened to all of those albums? Who could rank Pop or Zooropa ahead of War?

That is the craziest thing I have ever seen. Nobody and I repeat, Nobody could say that SBS, Seconds, New Year's Day (I could stop right there), Drowning Man, Two Hearts Beat As One, Like A Song, Red Light, 40 are not better than any TWO songs off of Pop or Zooropa.

Here is my suggestion: listen to War again and and then listen to Pop or Zooropa. If you still feel that those two albums are better, then.... There is no way you could feel those albums are better.

Geez, I had to get that off of my chest. I feel better.

I can't wait for the new album. I'm sure whenever it comes out it will be great.

geauxu2

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
this is rediculous. how long does it take them?! they should go into the studio for four weeks tops and say "whatever we can do in this time is good enough."

and dont tell me it wouldnt be good. im positive that if you leave the four of them in a room for a ONE day they couldnt come up with some of the greatest stuff youve ever heard.

hurry up already.

hmmm...lets see...that worked for october, achtung baby, and pop. Who the hell needs more than two weeks in the studio anyway? I mean its expensive right? Why don't they lower ticket prices and just do a one take 45 minute session and print whatever they got. I'll buy it! Too bad it would be an entire album of the edge tuning his guitar.

Seriously...do people really need an album this bad?

Re: U2 album rankings????

geauxu2 said:
In Big Macphisto's post there are album rankings.

I have to disagree with those rankings. Who voted? I mean, have they listened to all of those albums? Who could rank Pop or Zooropa ahead of War?

That is the craziest thing I have ever seen. Nobody and I repeat, Nobody could say that SBS, Seconds, New Year's Day (I could stop right there), Drowning Man, Two Hearts Beat As One, Like A Song, Red Light, 40 are not better than any TWO songs off of Pop or Zooropa.

Here is my suggestion: listen to War again and and then listen to Pop or Zooropa. If you still feel that those two albums are better, then.... There is no way you could feel those albums are better.

Geez, I had to get that off of my chest. I feel better.

I can't wait for the new album. I'm sure whenever it comes out it will be great.

geauxu2

Hmmmmm...

Just a thought, but maybe not the greatest way to start off with your first post in Interference.

Those albums were ranked by votes taken from everyone here. All the registered members that took time to vote and there were lots and lots of people who voted. I wholeheartedly believe that POP is a better album than War. Zooropa, no not quite. But many people do, and I see their point of view. Pop and Zooropa were, and are, both vastly underrated albums by the average guy on the street, but are seen by most big U2 fans as some of their greatest work. Pop is my third favorite U2 album. Lyrically and musically it is amazing in my opinion. I don't really like Miami, but Gone, Please, Mofo, Staring at the Sun, Wake Up Dead Man, Do you Feel Loved - ok all the rest are all so amazing.

Please, I'm asking everyone now not to make this into another Pro/Anti POP thread. My point is that this was a comprehensive and respectable poll that a lot of work went into and I believe accurately represents the way most fans would rank U2's albums. Obviously not everyone is going to agree, but hey, it's definitely not crazy - and the results don't lie.

Well, I'm not going to claim that Zooropa & Pop are better than War, but I will stick up for Pop. I still like to listen to it; my mind fills in the gaps in the music that could have been, especially if the album had been a bit more polished.

I can hardly wait until the new album comes out either; but I would rather have them take the time and do a little more work on finishing the songs. They are "spoiled" now, I guess, from their lifestyle that they have earned. We just have to deal with time moving much slower in making a decent recording.:(

the band could record 15 minutes of them changing their children's diapers (like they ever do that) and I would buy the album and see that tour.

now lets get on with it, if Bono stopped acting like such a pimp and hitting every city within a one days journey - they could lay down some tracks.

I have a tour to prepare for so lets go...

Like the Band themselves, we are ALL passionate about their music!! I LOVE War, I like POP! How can one compare them, when You have loved their music since 1981! I mean, THEE album that started it all didn't even rank..Boy! So, we are bound to disagree, all I can say is I am looking forward to even more music to love....and Rock Out to!! Rock On U2!

??!

:huh:

:scream:

"Similar to All That You Can't Leave Behind - but with harder guitar sounds"...

I really, really, really, really don't hope this is true but so far away from the truth as it possible can be...

I don't want a ATYCLB version 2, though I know the mainstream - and the record company would LOVE it...

sigh....

:sad:

On the other hand, I think that this album will be different than ATYCLB because the producer is not Eno/Lanois. Also, both Bono and Edge said it's more raw.

Each time they used someone else (not Eno and Lanois) they had a different sound, less characteristic for the band.

mission impossible don't you think?

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:

Four weeks to make the demos, pick the ones they'll work on and write lyrics, record raw versions of songs and do all the production and mixing?

Not counting the earliest albums, I think Zooropa is the fastest recorded album right? And even that took .... what was it... 2 or 3 months. (and it shows it was rushed IMO)

no u2girl, zooropa does not show it was rushed. pop - maybe, zooropa no.

yes, four weeks is too little time to record an album, i was being rediculous. but they said they were recording already RIGHT after the elevation tour ended and that was in 2001! its 2003 now.

:shrug:

I guess if more time to record means a better result I agree with it.

Probably their private life (and Bono's outside work, along with the second Best of making) kept them busy. Yes they started in late 2001 but for all we know that may only have been a few demos, or even just some - later unused - ideas.

The new songs are said to be similar to All That You Can't Leave Behind, but with harder guitar sounds.

This is kind of like saying that Mt. Everest is similar to Mt. Kilimanjaro, but taller.
Unfortunately, the above description comes across as a little blunt and dismissive, although I'm guessing that it probably wasn't the writer's intention.

We shouldn't believe all the things that are said about the new album. U2 has never recorded the same album twice, every album is different than the one before, and that's gonna happen right now. I'm absolutely sure about it.

The reason things always take so long is because u2 are perfectionists, and want everything to be the best they've ever done. Something we shouls respect. However i would like it if they would be more spontaneous sometimes. Kite was recorded almost in one take and in my opinion the best song on ATYCLB. I think they go too far sometimes in perfectioning the songs.

patrick

Back
Top Bottom