(06-02-2003) Bono is no bonehead - The Charlotte Observer *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.charlotte.com/

Bono is no bonehead
Singer has a good heart and a good head. He deserves the Nobel Prize.

Elizabeth Rose, a U2 fan from Lisbon, N.D., responding to the May 26 editorial, "Is Bono a bonehead?" The editorial cited Bono's statement to a British newspaper, quoted in The American Enterprise magazine, that "America has no experience with terrorism or even with war. In Europe, we know a little bit more about these things."

--

The quote you to which you referred was made (about) two months ago, and Bono quickly apologized for speaking incorrectly. He made an "off-the-cuff" remark that even he realized immediately was easily misunderstood....

The actual intent of his remark was that Americans have not experienced war or terrorism on our soil in the last century to the same degree that it has been experienced elsewhere in the world during the same timeframe. He was suggesting that Sept. 11 was a watershed moment for this country because it was our first experience with terrorism on such a huge scale on our own soil. And he is correct about that, Oklahoma City and the 1993 bombing of the WTC notwithstanding.

I actually wrote Bono a letter on Sept. 12, 2001, suggesting that U2 was in a position to respond to the horror we felt in this country after Sept. 11 because the Irish have far more experience with terrorism than we do. Partly because of letters from U2 fans like myself, U2 made a point of going back on tour in the U.S. in early October 2001, and orienting the show to provide a sense of solidarity in the face of adversity and a memorial to those who were lost on Sept. 11. If you were watching the 2002 Super Bowl half-time show, you saw a portion of what they did in their fall 2001 concerts....

Bono will be the first to admit that he sometimes "opens his mouth before engaging his gears properly," but he is an extraordinarily intelligent man whom you yourselves commented has done "invaluable work to focus attention on the humanitarian needs of developing nations."

This is work that could not have been done if he did not have a clear understanding of the foreign policy issues involved, because Bono makes a point of speaking directly to policy makers, law makers, and other decision makers. Having a good heart helps, but he would make little "headway" in these environments without having a good head as well.

For example, it was largely due to Bono's efforts that the Senate passed the House version of the Aid for African HIV/AIDS legislation on May 16, to the tune of $15 billion. By passing the House version, the Senate made it possible for the bill to be signed ASAP, without it needing to go to conference....

In the environment in which we find ourselves today, I see few other nominees of the Nobel Peace Prize as deserving as Bono.

Bono does his homework, and you would be wise to follow that example. You would also be wise to not follow the example of "opening your mouth before engaging your gears properly."

This was written by a good friend of mine. Bravo, Elizabeth! Some idiot wrote an editorial in the Charlotte paper about Bono being a "bonehead" and this was her response. I'm glad they printed it. The original article stank.

bono is no bonehead. the basters who cause that fuck'n act on
9/11 are bones heads :mad:

Back
Top Bottom