(06-01-2004) Bono Denies Live Aid 2, Urges African Aid - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040601/capt.xdub10106011354.ireland_bono_band_aid_2_xdub101.jpg[/SIMG]
Bono Denies Plans for a 'Live Aid 2' Concert
By Gideon Long

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Irish rock star Bono played down rumors on Tuesday that he and his friends in the music industry are planning a second Live Aid concert to raise money to fight AIDS.

He said a "Live Aid 2," nearly 20 years after the first epoch-defining event to help the starving of Ethiopia, would not raise enough cash to adequately tackle the AIDS crisis. Instead, he urged the countries of the European Union to fulfil their pledge to commit 0.7 percent of their national incomes to overseas aid.

capt.xdub10106011354.ireland_bono_band_aid_2_xdub101.jpg

(Irish rock star Bono of U2 speaks to journalist at Dublin Castle Tuesday June 1, 2004 before addressing an informal meeting of European Union development ministers in Ireland. He was expected to confirm his own project of holding a 'Band Aid 2' concert. -AP)

"At this point there are no plans for a Live Aid 2," Bono told reporters as he entered a meeting of EU development ministers in Dublin. "It's always there in the background but right now, no.

"Right now we're after billions (of dollars) not millions. A Live Aid 2 would help, but it wouldn't fix the problem."

Bono, frontman of rock giants U2 and a long-time campaigner on development issues, said a Live Aid concert would not be needed if governments in the developed world kept their promises on aid.

capt.xdub10206011345.ireland_bono_band_aid_2_xdub102.jpg

(AP Photo/ John Cogill)

"We saw those pictures (of the starving in Ethiopia) 20 years ago. I don't want to see those pictures again," he said.

"There are plans being discussed on these tables (at the EU) which, if implemented, mean we wouldn't have to see those pictures again."

Bono, dressed in a purple suit and wearing his trademark wrap-around sunglasses, said the Scandinavians were alone in the EU in fulfilling their pledge to give 0.7 percent of their national income to overseas aid.

"There are some laggards hanging out here, and I'm going to be putting my hand in their wallets," he said as he headed in through the imposing doorway of Dublin Castle to meet the ministers.

"For me it's not really about charity at this point, it's about justice."

Bono said some EU countries had reneged on their promises because, as their economies expanded, they had realized that 0.7 percent of their national income was more, in absolute terms, than they had anticipated.

r2294656471.jpg

(Photo: Reuters)

"This is renegotiating your deal with God downwards," said Bono, a committed Christian.

Bono, 44, was involved with the first Live Aid concert at London's Wembley Stadium in 1985 -- the brainchild of his friend and fellow Irishman Bob Geldof.

Both men have pressed Ireland to give development issues a higher profile during its presidency of the EU, which runs until the end of this month.

? Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

For photos of Bono, visit:
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=U2&ei=UTF-8&=&c=news_photos

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=peopleNews&storyID=5311272&pageNumber=0

Last edited:
There could still be one for the 20th anniversary next summer! The last one wasn't organized until after Band Aid in Dec. and Jan, so there is still time!

Oh and Bono looks hot with his long hair and burgundy wine colored outfit :love:

ya although it would be great to have the concert as Live Aid II , It doesnt really make alot of sense for Debt Relief, not saying it wouldnt make a difference just that other ways are more effective I agree with Bono there and Bob Geldof for that matter.. still be great to see a Live Aid II though

The question that ALL CONCERNED U2 people should be asking ourselves is: are WE doing ALL that we can do to help put pressure on our governments so that we don't need a Live Aid II? :yes:

A Live Aid II is NOT something we should be looking for - it highlights the fact that enough hasn't been done to alleviate Africa's suffering!:ohmy:

And it highlights the fact that the U2 community could be doing more than we are doing to support Bono and his fight for Africa's Future!:angel: :hug:

We will have plenty time next year to see Bono and U2 perform in concert - it's Africa that is RUNNING SHORT ON TIME!

KEEP UP THE VALIANT FIGHT, BONO!:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

i'm not sure if this has already been posted here or not.
check out billboard (dot) com.
there is a similar, but slightly less flattering article there.
shoots down the live aid rumour--but it also includes this excerpt from the EU Minister/Dublin Castle meeting today:

However, one EU official said Bono was badly informed about aid and debt, and depended heavily on scare stories by non-governmental organizations. "He was taken aback when he heard about the realities of what the EU is doing, and what the obstacles were. I think he was impressed, and learnt something," the official said.

EU aid commissioner Poul Nielson told the star that he should continue to rock the boat on aid, but should first get his facts right.

Hate to be picky but this PLEBAn noticed that this pic

r1770916062.jpg

is not from today :tsk: As you can see in the other pics, he's wearing a burgundy wine colored suit and clearish shades today, but here he has on a blue shirt and blue shades. When you see this pic in Reuters, it has a caption about him denying Live Aid 2, then says, 'Bono shown here in a Dec. 3, 2003 pic.' Reuters will do that, use a file photo in the middle of new ones, or instead of new ones. It gets frustrating for pic hunters. Just wanted to clear that up. Nice pics and story though. Still hope for Live Aid 2 next year for the 20th anniversary.

Last edited:
I want to know more about what exactly Bono is misinformed about with the situation because I find it hard to believe without specifics because he has spent a lot of time learning about it.

i agree those comments were pretty vague.
and i think the guy saying bono is misinformed, well, perhaps he is misinformed about bono.
sounds a bit like political wrangling--but of course, not every EU government is going to shower bono with roses in response to his appeal.

As Bono says another Live Aid wont solve to much "We need Billion not Millions". We all need to gather forces as people and humantarians and and help do something about the situation in Africa and all over the world. Live Aid was great back in the days, I like to keep at that.

But how many here on interference and across the world are just helping africa because Bono is?? Thats my questioin. To me its gone way beyond the Bono thing. Its become an emergency that that I want to help out with. Try to help approve the people in Africa's lives. Its important we do this from our hearts and not because BMAN does this.

Last edited:
Poul Nielsons comments were pretty vague! And his comments have been vague before. I know him from the danish media, he is a former danish minister. (I'm from Denmark). He just said that Bono should know more about what the EU had done in the past year. That they had really been trying. But the fact is that they are still far from reaching 0.7 percent as they promised 34 years ago. Bono has his facts right!

If Bono told the other EU official that he was impressed, well that's just Bono as we know him, always positive, that is how he gets people to work with him!

And Bono rounded on the EU for failing to spend vital aid money that had already been pledged. ?There are bureaucratic bottle-necks going on. People have pledged 14 billion dollars to the EU but the EU hasn?t found a way of spending it.?
?At a time when 6500 Africans are dying every day of AIDS, that?s not the Europe I want to be in.?
But a spokesman for EU development commissioner Poul Nielson said Bono should take a closer look at the EU's reform efforts before launching into "automatic pilot" criticisms.
"When this commission took over, it engaged itself in a very important reform process of our external aid. In the last year, these reform efforts are now showing clear results," said Jean-Charles Ellerman-Kingcombe."Bono would be doing us all a favour by looking into what we have achieved and launching his criticism from that basis."
Bono is usually well informed and can hold his own, I think this guys maybe wanted to have a bit more of a pat on the back for what the EU has accomplished so far ..instead Bono was calling them out to do more , which is what we all should be doing . ya they are doing something .. but the reality remains it is going to take alot more then what is being done to turn the tide on this ..

It isn't about charity it is about justice .. human rights as Bono says and so . And I dont at the end of teh day care of more people are involved because it's Bono or not.. I cant help but be glad that that part of him his celebrity has helped draw attention to this emergency.. becasue many great people on this site and everywhere else who might be involved because of Bono have done tremendous things.. All that is important to me is that all of us who can do something .. and i dont care why you do it in the end if it makes a difference I mean we all have to live with ourselves so deal with your own motives whatever and dont pay attention to what anybody says or those who try to downplay your role or what other people say.. there always be those people who think you shouldnt be there.. just as the critics do with Bono.. but youknow this emeregency is bigger then anything any critic might have to say .. I might not be involved because of Bono .. but I admire him for what he has stood up and done and for taking everything on the chin and never giving up.. for standing up with the best of them and going toe to toe when it was needed because no one else was doing it.. that takes guts and a genuine heart and desire and thats what he has .. on top of that he knows his shit.. If anything in a weird way Bono's involvemnet has made me a bigger fan of U2 for alot of reasons .. it has made me a prouder fan anyway..

just because he's Bono doesnt mean he's perfect...I'm sure he is misinformed on some topics. In my opinion, there are much bigger concerns in the world right now than how AIDS is affecting Africans. I personally couldn't care less about it. Bono, stick to your job and leave the politics to the politicians

wait a minute.
bono's not perfect?
(just kidding).
everyone is entitled to their opinion.
i agree he MUST be misinformed about some things.
but i don't think this issue is one of them.
there are things that have come out of his mouth over the years that have made me cringe, but definitely, definitely, the thing i respect the most about him is his inability to keep his opinion to himself.

but definitely, definitely, the thing i respect the most about him is his inability to keep his opinion to himself.
yep me too, I respect that the most about him ..
I think he goes into meetings like these things very informed .. thats not to say he wont make an error along the way but.. he makes sure he can back up his facts and knows what is he is speaking about to the best of his ability which is at times more then I can say for some politicians..
I think it all came from Bono demanding more when they wanted to be recognized for what they had done

Katey said:

Bono is usually well informed and can hold his own, I think this guys maybe wanted to have a bit more of a pat on the back for what the EU has accomplished so far ..instead Bono was calling them out to do more , which is what we all should be doing . ya they are doing something .. but the reality remains it is going to take alot more then what is being done to turn the tide on this ..

It isn't about charity it is about justice .. human rights as Bono says and so . And I dont at the end of teh day care of more people are involved because it's Bono or not.. I cant help but be glad that that part of him his celebrity has helped draw attention to this emergency.. becasue many great people on this site and everywhere else who might be involved because of Bono have done tremendous things.. All that is important to me is that all of us who can do something .. and i dont care why you do it in the end if it makes a difference I mean we all have to live with ourselves so deal with your own motives whatever and dont pay attention to what anybody says or those who try to downplay your role or what other people say.. there always be those people who think you shouldnt be there.. just as the critics do with Bono.. but youknow this emeregency is bigger then anything any critic might have to say .. I might not be involved because of Bono .. but I admire him for what he has stood up and done and for taking everything on the chin and never giving up.. for standing up with the best of them and going toe to toe when it was needed because no one else was doing it.. that takes guts and a genuine heart and desire and thats what he has .. on top of that he knows his shit.. If anything in a weird way Bono's involvemnet has made me a bigger fan of U2 for alot of reasons .. it has made me a prouder fan anyway..

but if Bono gave up on his helping africa would you?? My boyfriend is always asking me that question. sometimes i want to slap him down. I said no to him, cause now its gotten bigger then bono. Hes like yeah all his fans would do whatever he does. someone hand me a pan to hit him!!!

that's not even a question for me .. but then it was not Bono who got me involved ..I have been involved for my own reasons for a while because of people I knew and for me it is an emeregency that as been at the core of who I am .. and ya since I have become a U2 fan people tie the two together .. they will always be people who think I do it because of Bono in the same breath as the people who think I shouldnt be preaching about it at all ..but thats just water off a ducks back.. doesnt bother me beacuse I learned that the end reult of what you are working towards is far more important then someones half ass judgement,
I will do what I do untill there isnt a need for it anymore.. Bono or no Bono simple as that

You know I've seen it happen and i dont mean this in a bad way but the people who are in it for the wrong reasons they arent in it for the long haul and they drop off when it gets to the dirty work.. Not everybody cares about this emergency I get that and it's their right not to.. I wish they did care but I cant force them too.. But the people who do and have written letter's or even said a prayer or whatever there is nothing small about any of that it all matters , not everybody is in a position to do the same thing on this but most all people have something to give.. And I dont divide those people into Bono fans and non Bono fans.. just people .. And if people show up at a rally or whatever just to see Bono well hey you cant blame them and that's one more signature on a petition then there was before..

One thing I know for sure if this guy Bono did drop out.. heaven help us we would be so far worse of I dont even want to think of it .. cause I havent seen anyone of his status who has stepped up to the plate like he has .

Last edited:
The only reason you all care about it is because Bono does...if he didnt care about it, than you wouldn't either. Its a crock to say 'he made me aware of this emergency' because their have been people talking about it for decades. They have been just as vocal, if not more, about AIDS as Bono has, but since their not rock stars, nobody cares about what they think, and thats a shame

i cringe when people mention that the only reason people get involved in issues is because their 'idols' or 'role models' do. why is it so wrong to have someone who knows the issues and makes great meaningful music lead the way and look to his fans to support an issue that he thinks they might be interested in??? are we going to jump on all individuals that are leaders of every effort ever? whether its religion, politics or business, every great movement has had its leader(s) and a body of followers. it just so happens that the leader of this modern day movement is a rock star...a rock star with a giant heart and a great mind. U2's fans aren't as stupid as you might believe they are. many are as complicated as the band's greatest songs.

obviously many people have connected with U2's music on a very personal level and he's using his voice in a similar way, now pointing out specifics. no one holds a gun to people's heads to join his effort, and as long as people are making a conscious choice to follow the efforts bono has placed out in front of us all, then let them do what they want.

if it means that much to them, they'll continue their support long after bono has been an advocate. he's here to inform. anyone that cares adds one more chance that that'll be the true judge of character, not somebody ripping people down that they don't even know.

My apologies in advance all for not dealing specifically with the topic but I meant to post yesterday and inform everyone that according to a news report on TV3 Ireland Bono has denied that he was planning a 'Live Aid 2' I can't confirm if this report was arose from a direct consultation or interview with Bono or his Management but i just thought it may be worth informing everyone that 'Live Aid 2' is definitely not a certainty just yet. Let's hope that as time progresses we may get some information that is not only substantial but accurate.

I thinks it's a slap in the face to the emeregency to try and put label on someone you don't know.

As for people on the front lines like the workers with TAC , if you heard they were a U2 fan would you say they were involved because of Bono too?? These are the front line workers .. the ones providing treatment and live it everyday.. some are fans of U2 I know so what are you saying to them ..

and mofo82 thankyou cause I think you said it very well.. and as to the nobody cares what they think bit not

the fact that more people happen to come out to see Bono speak then say Stephen Lewis or Peter Pilot is just a case of Bono using celebrity wisely not who matters more ..thats just the way it works.. The media arent fyling over in flocks to get interviews with the front line workers .. they will cover what sells and Bono sells.. it's doesnt define who he is on this emergency but it is weapon he uses to his advantage and good for him

It was Stephen Lewis who opened my eyes to this so would you say I am only involved because of him ?? well thats true if had not been for him many years ago I might not be..I wouldnt be in the field of work I am etc.. so how is that any different then the people that get involved because of Bono ??

Hanover we did get a statement from DATA on the news section.. butnothing from Bono himself yet

Back
Top Bottom