(05-31-2003) Suu Kyi, Inspiration for 'Walk On' in Protective Custody - CNN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(05-31-2003) Suu Kyi, Inspiration for 'Walk On' in Protective Custody - CNN *

http://www.cnn.com/

Suu Kyi in 'protective custody'

YANGON, Myanmar (CNN) -- Pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and several members of her party were taken into "protective custody" after fighting broke out between her supporters and opponents in northern Myanmar, a government spokesman said Saturday.

Suu Kyi's vehicle was hit with gunfire, but she was not injured, according to press reports. The fighting late Friday left four people dead and 50 injured, the spokesman said.

A source told CNN that the headquarters of Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) was sealed and taken over in Yangon.

The latest moves come just a few days before a U.N. envoy was to arrive in Myanmar to jump-start stalled talks between the military junta and Suu Kyi's NLD.

Suu Kyi, who won the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize for her pro-democracy activities, was released about a year ago from house arrest. Protective custody in the past has meant arrest or detention.

-- From CNN Bangkok Bureau Chief Tom Mintier

She is a real hero. If the world was full of people like her and Bono and U2, wouldn't it be a great place!!!! We just let these things happen over there.....

Afraid it is happening again. This is from the newsletter I get from the Free Burma Coalition:

F R E E B U R M A C O A L I T I O N

Contact: Jeremy Woodrum, 202-547-5985; 202-246-7924 (cell) Aung Din,
301-602-0077 (cell)

After Alleged Assassination Attempt, Burmese Junta Re-Arrests Nobel Laureate, Several Reported Killed

Nationwide Crackdown Follows: Regime Closes Party Offices, Cuts Phone Lines

WASHINGTON - The Free Burma Coalition (FBC) today condemned an alleged assassination attempt against the leader of Burma's democracy movement, 1991 Nobel Peace Prize recipient Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and the reported killing of several persons and injury of dozens more. FBC has confirmed that Burma's military regime simultaneously raided offices of Suu Kyi's
political party the National League for Democracy (NLD), tearing down party flags and padlocking doors across the country. Military intelligence agents are now posted outside the offices preventing any entry at the offices in Rangoon and Mandalay. The regime placed numerous NLD leaders under house arrest, surrounding their homes and severing telephone lines, making it impossible for the democracy movement to issue a reaction.

"This is the regime's most serious crackdown on democracy in years," said Aung Din, FBC's Director of Policy. "This latest outrage proves yet again that Burma's regime has lied to the international community and lied to the Burmese people."

The arrests and reported killings took place after supporters of the Union Solidarity and Development Association (USDA), the political arm of Than Shwe's ruling military regime, apparently attacked Aung San Suu Kyi and supporters of her political party in the town of Ye-U, approximately hundreds of miles north of Rangoon. CNN reported that Suu Kyi's car was hit by gunfire. An unconfirmed number of people were killed and dozens reported injured as NLD members and villagers attempted to defend against the attackers.

"Many leading members of Congress will be looking to pass a new set of comprehensive sanctions against the regime," stated Aung Din. "These killings and arrests demonstrate that increased international pressure through sanctions and isolating regime politically and economically is the only policy option we have to press for the removal of the regime and recognition of the 1990 democratically elected parliament," he stated.

The incident is one in a series of intensifying attacks perpetrated by the political arm of the regime as Aung San Suu Kyi and her party leadership traveled across the country on an organizing tour. One week ago, United States Congressmen Peter King (R-NY) and Michael Capuano (D-MA) harshly criticized attacks on Suu Kyi and other party leaders on the floor of the United States Congress after members of the USDA brandished machetes and threw rocks at Suu Kyi's convoy. King said,
"This is yet another example of how Than Shwe's regime continues to employ terror and brutality as a means of retaining power over the Burmese people."

Citing the regime's intransigence and brutality, powerful U.S. Senator Majority Whip Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and Congressman Tom Lantos (D-CA) recently publicly pledged to introduce new sanctions on Burma and aggressively push for their implementation.
Last May, Aung San Suu Kyi was released from nearly two years of house arrest to much international fanfare after the ruling military regime promised a "new page" for the Burmese people, including the regime's participation in United Nations-facilitated talks aimed at a transition to democracy in Burma. Her release eased international pressure against the regime, including increased sanctions that were about to pass in the U.S. Congress. However, over the past year the regime has repeatedly snubbed the UN envoy to Burma Razali Ismail and refuses to begin the talks.

Aung San Suu Kyi led the NLD to a landslide victory in Burma's last election, garnering 82% of the seats in parliament. The regime refused to acknowledge the results, and has ruled with an iron fist ever since. Aung San Suu Kyi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991 and the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2000. Last month, U.S. President George W. Bush pledged support for freedom in Burma. ##

It's just heartbreaking:sad:

I posted this on FYM also, I'm at work and have very little time, today to find out how she is doing. Anyway this is the latest news i've had time to post:
This is good news, I hope.. I still haven't received any additional newsletters from Free Burma but I Found this article today in the Washington Post. I heard John McCain talking about it while getting ready for work this morning. Glad someone in government
is trying to get the word out. :up:

U.N. Diplomat Meets Detained Burmese Activist
Suu Kyi in 'Good Spirits' and Uninjured :applaud:

BANGKOK, June 10-Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese opposition leader held incommunicado for 11 days after a violent clash between her supporters and government-backed activists, is uninjured, "in good spirits and very feisty," U.N. special envoy Razali Ismail said after a brief visit with her today.

Read the whole article here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37655-2003Jun10.html?nav=hptoc_w

Last edited:
The Associated Press
Wednesday, June 18, 2003; 11:23 PM
YANGON, Myanmar - Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi spent her 58th birthday Thursday locked up in an undisclosed place by a military government that defied demands by foreign government to free her.
Happy Birthday Aung San Suu Kyi...

We'll See you when you get home....

Walk On

And if the darkness is to keep us apart
And if the daylight feels like it's a long way off
And if your glass heart should crack
And for a second you turn back
Oh no, be strong

Walk on, walk on
What you got they can't steal it
No they can't even feel it
Walk on, walk on...
Stay safe tonight

You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been
A place that has to be believed to be seen
You could have flown away
A singing bird in an open cage
Who will only fly, only fly for freedom

Walk on, walk on
What you've got they can't deny it
Can't sell it, can't buy it
Walk on, walk on
Stay safe tonight

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
And you can only take so much
Walk on, walk on

Home? hard to know what it is if you've never had one
Home? I can't say where it is but I know I'm going home
That's where the hurt is

I know it aches
How your heart it breaks
And you can only take so much
Walk on, walk on

Leave it behind
You've got to leave it behind
All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you steal
All this you can leave behind
All that you reason
All that you sense
All that you speak
All you dress up
All that you scheme?

My God....Please!!!!

Last edited:
You can check Daw Aung San Suu Kyi'sites: dassk.com and dassk.org to know more about her.

Back
Top Bottom