(05-30-2004) Bono Plans Live Aid II - The Sun*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Live Aid II

By GEORGE PASCOE-WATSON
Deputy Political Editor

LIVE Aid is to be held AGAIN ? 20 years on.

(Ed. Note -- Sir Bob Geldof has denied involvement in the proposed "Live Aid II." More information as we find it.)

The mega concert to ease Third World debt ? on the anniversary of the 1985 original ? will be unveiled this week. Tony Blair is backing what promises to be the greatest pop bash in history.

Last night a Whitehall source confirmed: ?It?s going to be bigger and better than before.?

Live Aid II is the brainchild of U2 rocker Bono, 44.

He will officially announce it this week.

Robbie Williams and Oasis are tipped to head a stellar line-up of acts next year that could also include Coldplay and Radiohead. Sir Paul McCartney and Phil Collins, stars of the first Live Aid, may also appear.

The 1985 event, staged simultaneously at Wembley and in Philadelphia, was watched on TV by 1.4billion worldwide.

It was organised by Sir Bob Geldof to aid Ethiopia's starving. The target of the new show - Third World debt - is a cause close to Bono's heart.

The rocker, another veteran of 1985, has got together with Blackadder writer Richard Curtis to organise Live Aid II.

Sir Bob, 52, will be involved with them in a year-long crusade to highlight the debt issue.

It is thought he may be asked to help organise the concert.

The Whitehall insider said: "Everyone is very excited."

The PM next weekend flies to a G8 summit of the world's richest countries where he will urge a ?20billion aid boost for poor nations.

Chancellor Gordon Brown will raise the debt issue in a speech at the Vatican where he will be the Pope's guest next month.

The original Live Aid raised ?60million. More than 70,000 music fans packed Wembley.

Likely venues for Live Aid II are Hyde Park in London or Knebworth, Hertfordshire.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004250283,00.html

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../nm/20040531/en_nm/leisure_britain_liveaid_dc

Last edited:
Oh my God that would be so amazing!!!! I hope it's true!!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Bands I would love to see on Live Aid II: U2, The Rolling Stones, Metallica, Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band, Black Sabbath, AC/DC. :combust:

Plus all those other bands mentioned on the article even though I don't like them. Bono should really try to contact everybody, he just might get them.

:applaud:

Don't get too excited - if you look at the second link (yahoo), Geldof is denying this story. I guess we'll see...

its just a rumor folks. I read this today:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1604528#post1604528

ok, that maynot work below is the story.

Irish Rocker Geldof Denies Live Aid II Concert

LONDON (Reuters) - Irish rock star Bob Geldof denied on Monday that he had teamed up with fellow rocker Bono for a repeat of the 1985 Live Aid concerts to raise money to help ease third world debt.

The Sun newspaper had earlier run a front page story saying Prime Minister Tony Blair was backing "Live Aid II," which would be fronted by British rockers Robbie Williams, Oasis, Radiohead and Coldplay.

Geldof, the brains behind the original concert to relieve famine in Ethiopia, said in a statement: "I told the Sun this afternoon it was not true. This only serves to undermine the concerted efforts of those concerned with the tragedy of poverty in Africa."

"However, if the Prime Minister wants to organize a Live Aid II, then good luck to him," Geldof added.

The 1985 event raised 60 million pounds ($110.2 million) with simultaneous concerts in Britain and the United States.

? Copyright Reuters Ltd. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of Reuters Ltd.

05/30/2004 20:10
RTR

Last edited:
Bono tried to do a Live Aid II in october of 99'..(Net Aid),and it was a failure.Giant Stadium,in N.J., was half empty.

Coldplay, Radiohead, Oasis, Paul McCartney and U2 in the same concert?????

I could die happy after that. No doubt at all.

If it is true that would be an amazing concert and a really excellent way to raise awareness for DATA - which the more I understand the more supportive I am of such a worthwhile cause. This just means that I must work massive amounts of OT to save up to go over to London if this is true - what an amazing experience that would be!

Back
Top Bottom