(05-29-2003) Radiohead guitarist praises U2; disses Stones - SPIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
Radiohead guitarist praises U2; disses Stones

U2 get a nod from the ever elusive Radiohead guitarist Ed O'Brien in SPIN magazine's current issue. An excerpt from a Radiohead SPIN magazine article from this month:

'Part of the reason O'Brien is percieved as Radiohead's designated rocker is that he's the most interested in classic rock; he especially enjoys discussing U2, who appear to be Radiohead's third-biggest musical influence (the first two being the Smiths, whom all five members love unequivocally, and the Pixies, from those records Jonny Greenwood learned how to play guitar). For the most part, the four members don't talk about mainstream rock.

"I'm interested in bands as beasts, " O'Brien says. "I'm interested in U2 and the Rolling Stones and Neil Young & Crazy Horse. I love the dynamic of musicians working together and all the voodoo shit that comes with it. It's a complicated thing to do over the expanse of time, which is why I respect U2 so much. Don't get me wrong-I adore the Stones, but they haven't made a good record since 1972. Exile on Main Street was the last great Stones album. But U2 have been at it for 20 years, and that song 'Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of' was amazing. And that's after 20 years. That's when the Stones were making Still Life."

Many thanks to David

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one shocked at the fact that the guitar player for Radiohead picks 'Stuck' as one of the great songs U2 has written lately??? I like the song, don't get me wrong. But in my opinion not fantastic by any means, and very "poppy", which is why I find the praise from Radiohead to be odd.

this makes me feel good - it shows there is mutual respect - the Dublin Boys like Radiohead as well...

and he is absolutely right about the Stones not making a great record in a long time.

ouizy said:
this makes me feel good - it shows there is mutual respect - the Dublin Boys like Radiohead as well...

and he is absolutely right about the Stones not making a great record in a long time.

I agree on both points.

U2 is beyond the label of classic rock

U2 has never been Stuck in a phase they can't get out of! They are greatest...classic or new.

womanfish said:
Am I the only one shocked at the fact that the guitar player for Radiohead picks 'Stuck' as one of the great songs U2 has written lately??? I like the song, don't get me wrong. But in my opinion not fantastic by any means, and very "poppy", which is why I find the praise from Radiohead to be odd.

I could'nt agree with you more...

Yeah I dunno about Stuck either...and it's even weirder coming from a member of Radiohead at that, lol. Anyway I really find this interesting because U2 calls Radiohead one of THEIR biggest influences at the moment. Frankly, though, I am not a big fan of Radiohead, so this kind of scares me, lol. The lead singer always sounds like he's dying. :huh:

Sorry, I just had, like a REALLY bad experience with a roommate in college who listened to Radiohead WAY too much. It frickin' makes ya suicidal... :crack:

MrBrau1 said:
Stuck is one hell of a song. It just bristles w/ movement and emotion. It gets kicked around far too much here.

I "second" that MrBrau!! Couldn't agree with you more. That's a powerful song and one of their best written songs ever. It makes sense that a good songwriter like Ed O'brien would praise Stuck In A Moment. The acoustic version of that is simple and moving. The lyrics and melody do the talking.

Stuck is a song that annoys me. It could've been so much better. It has a gorgeous melody, great words, the vocals are exquisite. But it's too slow, or more likely it's not slow enough. It's a mid-tempo bore that I would've told U2 to re-record if I were their producer. And if I could produce. And if I weren't tone deaf.

LPU2 said:
Stuck is a song that annoys me. It could've been so much better. .

i agree.

In a Little While is a tiny bit better.
I dont care for either song really.

I thought these 2 along w Wild Honey were filler songs.

DB9

get real

diamond said:

i agree.

In a Little While is a tiny bit better.
I dont care for either song really.

I thought these 2 along w Wild Honey were filler songs.

DB9

This is a joke - right ? a fillersong ? That award goes to When I Look At The World - Stuck is as overlooked as I Still Haven't is - although I agree the former had two dodgy videos - an area the boys can improve on.

Mike

When I look at the world is ATYCLB's In God's Country...essential.
Stuck is a departure for U2 but like Angel of Harlem leaves us asking "Is there anything U2 can't do?" It's their titanium soul du jour.

Well, just because Radiohead don't care to make a certain type of music doesn't mean they don't like listening to it.

'Stuck' is a song that took me some time to really get into and it's not my favourite song on ATYCLB, but I do think it's a standout.

ya, i was surprised to read it too. nevertheless, it doesnt change my opinion that stuck in a moment is the worst thing u2 have done since red light and the refugee.

Almost forgot to add: I think most fans don't appreciate 'Stuck' because they don't play music. It seems that it's a musicians' favourite, in that it's a very well arranged piece of music, and you need to understand that arrangement to appreciate it. That's why people like Radiohead love it. That's why people like Nora Jones love it. It's a finely crafted song. Most bands would die to compose such a perfect pop song as that, but when U2 does it, everyone says it sucks. I find that odd, but each to their own.

That was wonderfully put...Stuck is an undeniably wonderful pop song ala Lanois and the boys. Lilywhite did a great job with the acoustic version as well. It's all U2: anti-apathy, pro-active and inspirational.

i think Stuck is a great song. I wasn't too crazy about it when it first came out, but it grew on me, especially the acoustic version.

I think what you guys are discussing here is what U2 wanted. Each song has its own theme and is to be taken individualy in thier own way.

While that is true Gherman, each song, also, individually, fits into the larger theme of the album as a whole. Every song has a consistency of taking "all that you can't leave behind" forward, and leaving behind the dead skin, so to speak. Each song is a little snippit of life experience, usually consisting of an overall impression of something or some take on something, and that take (each song) not only fits into the central theme of the record, but also propels the record to that end (to that overall theme).

look, i couldnt care less how its crafted. if a song doesnt sound good to me, i dont like it. its that simple. i dont need to be diplomatic about it, even if the song is released by my second favorite band.

No one said you did Red Ships, but to say it "sucks" is different than saying you don't like it. The former description is an objective stance, while the latter is subjective. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PS: You haven't expounded on your thoughts on the new album yet, like you said you were going to (in my new album thread)!!! You disappoint me, Red Ships. :sexywink:

Last edited:
i agree that stuck is not U2's best song, but as the comments before indicated it is well put together. as a radiohead fan, i have noticed they strive to achieve this, but because of their deviation from pure rock and roll, it is often difficult for them, which is why some of their stuff sounds so jarring. stuck, on the other hand is simple and melodic, and it struck a chord with many listeners. plus, it sounds incredible live, as do most U2 songs. :)

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
meggie, you registered in september 2002 and only now made your first post?

talk about restraint...:sexywink:

not everybody likes their sweet meats being served too soon!

Back
Top Bottom