(05-26-2004) Bono to address EU ministers - IrelandOnline*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono to address EU ministers

U2 lead singer Bono is to address EU ministers meeting in Dublin next week.

The Irish singer will focus on Africa, speaking to ministers about how the EU can reform aid development and make investments more effective.

All 25 EU states will be represented at the informal meeting in Dublin Castle on June 1. The ministers will consider EU development policy and discuss possible reform strategies.

They will also address the humanitarian situation in Darfur, Sudan, and finish with a discussion of debt and trade issues in relation to Africa.

Bono has frequently used his celebrity status to highlight the crises of poverty and HIV/Aids in Africa, and to gain access to the world?s most powerful decision-makers.

In 2002 he joined forces with Bob Geldof to set up DATA (Debt, Aids, Trade, Africa), a network aimed at targeting rich governments to increase resources and improve their policies towards African countries.

He has also supported the international Jubilee 2000 Drop The Debt campaign, lobbying international politicians, the IMF and the World Bank.

In 1999, he went to Rome to meet Pope John Paul II in order to persuade the Group of Eight richest nations ? G8 ? to launch a major debt write-off for poor countries.

A spokesman from the Government said he was hoping the star would add a ?bit of sparkle and showbiz? to the ministerial conference.

http://212.2.162.45/news/story.asp?j=105565356&p=yx5566x6z&n=105566116

? Thomas Crosbie Media, 2004.

Well, Bono, hope this new speech will be helpful

I heard Italian president speaking yesterday in a meeting for the "African day". He said the most serious problem for Africa is terrorism.

I would have reminded him the most serious problem is ignonrance, followed by the AIDS epidemic...

I hope that the promises made during the conference won't just be smoke in the eyes!

And the distability problem...
Shame on the ex-colonial countries (and others) who left those countries solitair with their problems after they've sucked them dry !!!
(sorry for bad english again :p )
joy to all

AMEN, valentina - I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!:yes:

While I would NEVER discourage Bono from accepting an invitation to speak ANYWHERE in the world on the issues of global poverty and the AIDS pandemic, I'M BEGINNING TO WONDER IF THESE DODGY POLITICIANS ARE STARTING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BONO'S DECENCY!:ohmy:

They all love the photo ops with Bono - the world's politicians love to be filmed with him talking about the issues most dear to Bono's heart. But what are they actually DOING about these issues? NOT AS MUCH AS THEY SHOULD! :scratch:

Maybe Bono should take a different approach - instead of being seen so much with the world's politicians, I suggest that Bono find speaking opportunities in these countries where AVERAGE CITIZENS can attend and help Bono BUILD THE GRASSROOTS MOVEMENT HE SO MUCH WANTS TO BUILD!:up: ;)

Just a suggestion, Bono!:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom