(05-20-2004) U2 Rocker Bono Slams Europe for Doing Little Against Myanmar -- AFP *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Rocker Bono Slams Europe for Doing Little Against Myanmar

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Irish rock star and political activist Bono told a US Congressional hearing he was ashamed by Europe's lukewarm support for punitive sanctions against military-ruled Myanmar.

The United States has launched diplomatic, trade and investment sanctions against Myanmar, where the military junta launched a national convention this week without first releasing democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

"I am deeply ashamed as a European of the pitiful lack of volume of support for her (Aung San Suu Kyi)," Bono, the lead singer in superstar band U2, told a Senate foreign operations appropriations subcommittee hearing this week.

A transcript of the testimony was made available to AFP Thursday.

The panel, chaired by Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican party's Majority Whip, had asked Bono his thoughts on Myanmar, the efficacy of sanctions, and a lack of European support for them.

He said British Prime Minister Tony Blair "has been doing some good work, but we need more and we need the rest of Europe to pay attention" to the situation in Myanmar.

Bono said he would personally raise the issue with Roman Prodi, the head of the European Commission.

U2 dedicated the hit song "Walk On" to Aung San Suu Kyi in its last album, and all U2 music is banned by the Myanmar regime. Bono had lobbied US Congress to back humanitarian efforts, including the battle against AIDS.

"I think with Burma we have a particular evil to deal with that needs a different and stronger response," he said, supporting US sanctions against Myanmar.

He said he felt European sanctions on Yangon "should be punitive and I think those people should feel our mettle.

"They cannot walk over this woman, who is a true hero."

US President George W. Bush on Monday extended for another year sanctions on Myanmar "for large-scale repression of the democratic opposition.

They included a ban on new US investments to the Southeast Asian state.

Aside from that, the US sanctions include a ban on imports, an arms embargo and the suspension of all bilateral aid.

The United States also maintains visa restrictions on Myanmar's senior government officials, and is opposed to all new lending or grant programs by international financial institutions.

Since 1990, the United States has kept its diplomatic representation in Myanmar at the charge d'affairs level.

The European Union's sanctions on Myanmar include a visa ban on those linked to the military junta, an asset freeze and an arms embargo.

Some countries within the EU have prevented the body from banning new investment and trade with the country.

The EU also refuses to have any dealings with the junta, overshadowing regional talks between the EU and Asian countries.

Asian countries are threatening to block admittance to an October Asia-Europe summit in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi by the EU's 10 new members unless the bloc allows Myanmar to attend.

But the EU has made clear that Suu Kyi needs to be released and included in substantive talks with the regime as precondition for allowing junta officials to attend Vietnam gathering.

Great Bono!!

As usual, B-man is trying to spread awareness on this issue! Burma situation is completely unbearable and, as Bono says often and rightly, it's a shame that a rock star has to tell this kinda things!!

I AGREE 100% with you, valentina!:yes:

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is as great of a hero as Nelson Mandela(Bono's words) but, maybe because she is a woman, is less well known and respected. :love:

I encourage EVERYONE at Interference to learn more about this BRILLIANT woman and the irrepressable Spirit that she carries inside her which Bono so GREATLY admires! :bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

PEACE AND LOVE....WITH JUSTICE:up: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom