(05-14-2004) Young Author and Rock Star Trade Autographs -- Toronto Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Young Author and Rock Star Trade Autographs

MARY GORDON
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA?Paige Pedlar autographed Bono's book and he autographed hers.

It was that kind of day.

The day before, the 7-year-old Grade 1 student was sitting in F.M. Heard School in Whitby. At about 2 o'clock, her mother, Anna, got a phone call. It was the Prime Minister's Office, saying the man himself would like to see the book Paige wrote and illustrated about AIDS orphans, "Who Will Cuddle Them When They Sleep?"

The next day, dressed in a black skirt, sweater and tights, Paige went to Parliament Hill, where she got to meet with Paul Martin and Bono, the lead singer of U2, who was in town to applaud Martin's announcements about new spending for HIV/AIDS.

Paige sat on the rock star's lap and her 2-year-old sister Erin in Paul Martin's, while people took photos.

"You're an amazing little girl," Bono told Paige. She gave him her book and he said, "I have a little book to give you too."

He then gave her a book and CD of Prokofiev's "Peter and The Wolf," which he illustrated with help from his daughters Jordan and Eve.

"Love to the amazing Paige, from Bono, 2004," his autograph says, beside a drawing of himself. The night before the big day Paige told her friends she was going to meet "the singer guy." Then her family drove to Ottawa.

She got the idea for the book when she was watching television around the time of World Aids Day in December.

--Toronto Star

Thanks Regina!!

Last edited:
33%3A77%3A%3B523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D%3B88%3D858%3DXROQDF%3E232354295%3C578ot1lsi

hey guys just in case FYI and your interested you can read about Paige and get a copy of her book at

http://www.cuddletheorphans.com/

Last edited:
As a mother, leafing through her book, I felt so humbled realizing that my 6-1/2-year-old child had grasped the enormity of an AIDS orphan?s daily life?all with the simplicity of words and pictures through her eyes. She had captured how their lives must be?their innocence lost and living in terror day-by-day. As parents, we recognize that we are to be the teachers, yet here was my child becoming the teacher.

It's amazing, isn't it, how kids can grasp and comprehend what adults can't even explain? This little girl has a loving and understanding heart. No wonder Bono was impressed. :)

bONO'S so kind and sweet when he's dealing with kids!

It's just as if he shares something personal with them, even if he doesn't know them and probably won't meet them again!

I think it's a sort of "personal sympathy"...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom