(05-11-2004) Bono and PM Martin To Meet in Ottawa - CNews*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono, Martin to meet again at AIDS event in Ottawa
By ALEXANDER PANETTA

OTTAWA (CP) - International rock star Bono once vowed to become a "pain in the ass" to Prime Minister Paul Martin, but at this pace he may end up instead on Liberal election posters.

The prime minister is set for his second meeting in six months with the U2 frontman, who warned in a speech at the Liberal leadership convention last November that he would constantly pester Martin to improve Canada's contribution to developing countries. The Irish rocker and the Irish-Canadian politician meet again Wednesday in Ottawa. They will get together for a photo op in the prime minister's office and head out to an AIDS symposium where each is scheduled to speak later in the day.

"Bono is a world-renowned activist in this field," said Martin spokesman Justin Kingsley. "We're very pleased and very proud that he will be here to participate with the prime minister at the symposium and also recognize Canada's role as a world leader in the fight against AIDS."

Bono told the crowd of Liberals last November that "the world needs more Canada," delivering a passionate speech that paid homage to former prime ministers Lester Pearson, Pierre Trudeau and Jean Chretien. He also declared his big expectations for Martin, urging the new prime minister to triple Canada's international aid to reach the long-stated - and ever-elusive - target of 0.7 per cent of GDP.

Bono was effusive in his praise for Martin when the prime minister recently announced a $100-million contribution to an international effort to treat people who have AIDS. "This is real leadership," he said in a statement. "I hope Canadians will know what this means in the rest of the world."

The money will be given to a new initiative of the World Health Organization to treat three million people with AIDS by the end of 2005. The new money has made Canada the largest donor in the program. The cash will be used to train doctors and nurses and help countries develop treatment plans and strategies.

Martin is expected to issue an election call next week for June 28.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/05/11/455582-cp.html

kobayashi contacts everyone he knows at the pmo to see what time bono will be going.

ya .. suprise suprise.. let me know if you hear .. I am off to a HIV AIDS Research Conference in Montreal the day after so Ottawa a easy stop

I know the key note address for the syposium is at 9:30 this morning at the Lord Elgin.. but I dunno what time he and PM will arrive.. A big announcement will be made about Canada doubling it's contribution to the Global Fund.. Hence Bono's visit this is a big deal and comes 48 hours after the 100million announced so Canada is really on the right track.. very proud..more then proud

That's great :up:

Any chance that this will be broadcast over the radio or tv? If so, someone please tape it for me? :wink:

Last edited:
it will be on the news... he is doing a press conference after according to the Prime Ministers Office. but further to that ???

Back
Top Bottom