(05-09-2003) African Well Fund Raises over $10,253.18 for Bono's Birthday! - AWF *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.africanwellfund.org
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/cause/awfhomepg.jpg[/SIMG]

The African Well Fund Raises over $10,253.18 in Honor of Bono's Birthday!

The African Well Fund is thrilled to announce that its recent fundraising drive to ?Build a Well for Bono?s Birthday? was a stupendous success. U2 fans from around the world donated over $10,000. The money will be used to build wells in Africa in honor of Bono?s birthday, May 10, 2003.

The drive was launched on April 1, 2003 and ended on May 1, 2003. Throughout the month of April, the African Well Fund solicited donations in various online U2 forums. We also collected over 170 ?signatures? via email from those who donated to be compiled into a birthday card that will be sent to Bono. Along with the card, Bono will receive a plaque from our partner organization, Africare, commemorating the wells built in his honor. Inspired by media coverage of U2?s Bono and former Secretary of the Treasury Paul O?Neill?s trip to Africa, the African Well Fund was formed by a group of U2 fans that wanted to do more for the people of Africa. The Well Fund was founded to focus on one achievable goal; providing access to clean water.

awfhomepg.jpg

100% of proceeds from the African Well Fund are donated to Africare?s well building projects in Uganda and Ethiopia. Africare is one of the leading private, non -profit charitable U.S. organizations assisting Africa. For more information please visit www.africare.org.

In the coming months, we will be providing updates and pictures via our website (www.africanwellfund.org) as Bono?s wells are built. Although the birthday fundraiser is complete, we continue to accept donations to the fund. The drive to provide clean water for all the people of Africa continues.

Elizabeth Beech
African Well Fund
PO Box 1363
Manitowoc WI 54221-1363
Phone: 714.525.4169
Fax: 520.832.3776
Email: info@africanwellfund.org

Thank you, Julie!

Last edited:
This was such a good idea, not only for Bono's birthday, but to get the U2 fanbase invloved in helping to get clean water to these people. I'm glad it was such a huge success!! YAY!!:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

:wave:

~J

I know. It is an amazing feeling to be able to help people. I'm blown away by the generosity of this bands' fans. But look who we have to inspire us.

There is no one better.

I agree with oktobergirl--look who we have to inspire us! There's no better role model! I'm in complete shock over this. U2 fans rock!!!:yes: :yes:

Way to go people! I'm sure Bono will enjoy this birthday present in his "retreat" home in france (or whatever expensive house he's in right now)...just two links down. Funny how 10k is a lot to almost everyone except the one who's the birthday boy. The effort is noble, and that's a lot of money to be gathered just through the net...and legit too! I do hope it will benefit those people, I do hope there is water to fill those wells.

We will be putting the card up in Acrobat reader format shortlly!Also to answer the question about their being water for those wells Africare has crews who research and construct the wells and some are in the process of being built right now.So yes their will be water for these wells and future ones we raise the funds for!

Well said Oktobergirl!!

And Smokey, you're right; this is merely a first step in a long road towards environmental human rights for Africa. But that's where you gotta start -- at the beginning! And a rather fine start I reckon. :)

By no means, though, are we at the AWF wasting time patting ourselves on the back. There is much work to be done, and we're plowing through it every day! And we will until Africare tells us to bugger off 'cuz they don't need us anymore!! lol! ;)

And lastly -- Just to clarify -- The amount we have raised is precisely $10,253.18 (USD), not "over" $10,253.18. It was kind of a typo!

Last edited:
It's good to know that you guys at the AWF are continuing to work hard to do more.

And you know us U2 fans will continue to support you and help you out.

oktobergirl said:
I know. It is an amazing feeling to be able to help people. I'm blown away by the generosity of this bands' fans.

Same here.

Originally posted by oktobergirl
But look who we have to inspire us.

There is no one better.

Exactly.

Once again, way to go, everyone!

Angela

I am so thrilled that this fundraiser went so well! Thanks U2sangel and all of those who worked so hard on this!
10 grand is just awesome!
And the card is beautiful, I love it!
Good job everyone!

Back
Top Bottom