(05-08-2004) Information on Bono's Heart of America Tour Film - REMHQ*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.data.org/promos/homepromo1b.gif[/SIMG]
Information on Bono's Heart of America Tour Film

Bono was onhand Saturday May 8th in New York City following a screeening of DATA's "The Heart of America Tour" documentary film the Tribeca Cinema Theatre. The screening was the official premiere of the film at the Tribeca Film Festival. Below is more detailed information about the film from REM's official 'headquarters.'

"The film documents a seven day tour of Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee by one rock star (Bono), two movie stars (Chris Tucker and Ashley Judd), one heroic Ugandan activist (Agnes Nyamayarwo), three brilliant doctors, and twelve talented Ghanian kids who travelled in three buses through "the heart of America" in order to put a human face on the HIV/AIDS crisis. The seven days on the road that this movie captures and presents, from the campaign-like schedule of private meetings and public events, to the quiet moments of reverie it captures Bono, Agnes, and others in, are the beginning of a movement, that, as Bono tells a group of college students, "will change the world." In fact it did change the world.

homepromo1b.gif

As a result of the tour, thousands of conscientious Americans called the White House in December 2002 to request an "historic AIDS initiative" (6,500 Africans die of HIV/AIDS each day and another 9,500 are infected with the disease), and in response in the 2003 State of the Union the President proposed just such a plan, since enjoying bipartisan support in the Congress. This was the doing of people in the "heart of America," which beats throughout this documentary.

According to Dominic (DeJoseph, Longtime R.E.M. friend and audio-visual extraordinaire), "I was honored to be asked by Bono and Bobby Shriver to document the "Heart of America Tour" in the winter of 2002. I was also a tiny bit worried because I was being asked to jump on a plane to Lincoln, Nebraska, the next day, and work without a single crewmember to film this important ten days on the road. We were going to be traveling by bus the entire time, and there was simply no room for even a sound person to accompany me. I accepted the challenge, as I knew it was going to be an important series of events that would have probably gone undocumented otherwise.

Ultimately, it was the strength and energy of Agnes Nyamayarwo, the tour's spokesperson from Uganda, who kept us all going. Agnes, an HIV positive woman taking anti-retroviral drugs, had come to America for the very first time and remained full of energy and hope througout the grueling ten day bus tour of eight states, appearing onstage each night to talk about her husband and children dying from AIDS.

Everyone we met along the way was inspired by Agnes' story, and I have no doubt that it was hearing firsthand the impact of AIDS on her life that encouraged them to bombard the White House with letters afterwards. Agnes definitely became my hero during our trip, and I'm pleased to be part of taking her story to the wider American public."

Please visit, http://www.data.org for more information about the film and to learn more about a fantastic organization focused on some of the most significant social issues of our time: Thirdworld debt, the Aids/HIV epidemic, Fair Trade, and Africa.

You can visit the Tribeca Film Festival's site for more information on films and scheduling. "

From www.REMHQ.com

Many thanks to Blair!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom