(05-04-2004) Rumor: U2 Bringing on 'Winter'? -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL silenus...i really dont care what the album is called right now, i just want it released.

I dont care much for the title WINTER, even though i could think of worse titles. POP wasn't the most brilliant title for an album, and I loved it. But if this album is guitar-oriented and is going to "burn down all their previous works", then WINTER just doesnt seem right to me. oh well, we'll see....

Boy - indicating the beginning of a band...

Winter - indicating the end???

Say it ain't so!!!

Does anybody here knows the lyrics of the new songs?

The album title will come from the lyrics of a new song, like R&H, AB, Zooropa or ATYCLB. So, let's wait!

It may be related to the AIDS epidemic and the potential ominous tone of the new album.

elciojg said:
Re: Does anybody here knows the lyrics of the new songs?

As no songs have been leaked or released yet, lyrics are currently unavailable and unknown for the new songs.

With all the different producers and the LONG time this has been lasting, my theory is this:

a double album called Solar/Winter

(or, they could be going back to the irony days and Winter means squat, really)

I find it interesting that "Winter" is not well received when U2's earliest works were called "Boy", "October", and "War".

Boy - Ascension from boyhood to manhood.

October - Themes of decay, death, loss, religion, spirituality.

War - Half of the album is politically charged.

Who knows what "Winter", if the rumor is true (which I doubt) could mean. Remember that when writing for this album began, Bono was still feeling the loss of his father. Remember his trip to Bali shortly after the end of the Elevation tour where he supposedly wrote many a song, including one about his father called "One Step Closer to Knowing."

That, added with "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", which was sung at his father's funeral, could make for a very death-related album.

This may be the older, more mature, better thought out and hopefully lyrically prepared version of "October". Especially if the guitars are rockier again.

And maybe they'll give a free ice-scrapper for carwindows with it
(I've lost mine somewhere)

Last edited:
just saw this on the atu2 website.

The Heart of America Tour, a 30-minute documentary about that Winter, 2002 tour that brought the African AIDS situation to universities, churches, businesses, and people across the U.S. Midwest will have its world premiere screening Friday during the Tribeca Film Festival in New York.
- from atu2.com

brings some more depth to the possibility of Winter being used, and like jay canseco said earlier:
It may be related to the AIDS epidemic and the potential ominous tone of the new album.

and John Tree:
That, added with "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", which was sung at his father's funeral,could make for a very death-related album.

Death is a theme that U2 hasnt committed an entire album to. we could find many metaphors in their music, but not as a stand out issue in an entire album. The world has been faced with so much death in the last decade- the band hit on it with 'Miss Sarajevo' and 'Wake Up Dead Man'. We are always looking for something new from the band. this would be interesting if it is.

Am I the only person who thinks Solar would have been a great name for an album?

I think the title will end up being something deep like ATYCLB.

Death is a theme that U2 hasnt committed an entire album to. we could find many metaphors in their music, but not as a stand out issue in an entire album.

sometimes working through death can mean finding beauty in life.. I don't think they would have a death related album but maybe some songs with undertones along with
my vision of U2 songwriting is either working through things or reaching to find answer's or yelling out a message .. Alot's
happened to Bono and to the band I'm sure some songs will reflect that wiether thats the responsibility of humanity or the death of his father who knows till they come out..
As long as the the lads in U2 are still enjoying it.. which Iam sure they are..then I'm a happy gal to wait cheers!!

Last edited:
I really like that name, Solar is better, though. It could be in a bitter sense. I hope this album is like ACTYCLB, though.

Winter could mean dark begining but the spring will come right out after it! Please tell me that someone does like this name, too? You have to hear the songs first, though. A rumour is just a rumour for now.

Last edited:
How about "Solar Winter"? Solar wouldn't work by itself because it's an adjective. It needs another word to modify. The Solar rumor came from fans in South America, right? They might not have known enough about English to see that Solar doesn't make sense by itself.

I have an extremely thorough English class. :|

uh........................................
that was the dumbest thing ive ever read on the internet.
thanks for raising the bar.
um btw, could you post a picture of the rules and guidelines for album titles manual? i want to print it out for my future reference.

Maybe it was a typo and everyone's run with it.
The album is actually going to be a WINNER. :yes:

I've already stated why I'd love them to use the name SOLAR.
I'd much prefer Solar Winter to Nuclear Winter , given the choice.
I've sat in on a few band and recording naming sessions talktalk talk some more :banghead: :crazy: :walkoutcallitwhatyoulikeyouweregoingtoanyway:
It can mean absolutely everything or absolutely nothing.
Good luck U2...I'll buy it whatever it is called.
(gee I bet that bit of news will get them excited)

The John Tree said:
I find it interesting that "Winter" is not well received when U2's earliest works were called "Boy", "October", and "War".

Boy - Ascension from boyhood to manhood.

October - Themes of decay, death, loss, religion, spirituality.

War - Half of the album is politically charged.

RademR said:
I dont care much for the title WINTER, even though i could think of worse titles. POP wasn't the most brilliant title for an album, and I loved it.

Funny that the album titles y'all mention actually MAKE SENSE with respect to the albums' contents, and yet two that you don't mention The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby! make no sense at all (well, I think that was the point with Achtung Baby, anyways). I was 16 when The Joshua Tree came out and I remember thinking "WTF???? That has got to be the goofiest name I have ever heard!" I know (now) that there's all kind of symbolism in that name, but I guess my teenage thoughts made an impression - still think it's a goofy name for an album.

And as far as 'Winter' being an ominous name (last album, end of the road for U2) or whatever.. I really don't care if the album is called "So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish", I don't think U2's going to quit playing music and making albums until Bono has run out of things to say... i.e. never...

just my two-cents' worth...

goat

}:)~

They should call it "Interference" :yes:
Sounds great: U2's "Interference" !!
Joy to all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom