(04-30-2004) U2 With Corbijn In Lisbon, Portugal - Jornal Publico*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Is in Lisbon

Ed Note: The following article appeared today in a Portuguese newspaper. The English translation is below, via Google Translation services.

For FOR V?TOR BELANCIANO
Friday, 30 of April of 2004

Already they had been for three times in Portugal for concerts, but never in a situation as of yesterday. The U2 Irishans had arrived of particular airplane, had taken up quarters in the zone of Lisbon and had passed all the afternoon and principle of the night in photographic sessions with the dutch Anton Corbijn, one known photographer who already collaborated innumerable times with the band.

The Great Beach, close to Sintra, and the zone of the Expo local had been visited by the comitiva of about twenty people who include the four Irishans - Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen - and two seguran?as. The restaurant Pipe of the Shoe and the discoteca Lux had been also local for where the comitiva passed. according to PUBLIC it selected, the group goes to be in Portugal until the o tomorrow.

The objectivo of the short stay is to carry through photographic sessions that will go to serve of support to all the operation of promotion of the next album to the U2, to edit in the Summer and, eventually, to the layer of exactly. The choice of Lisbon was an option of the dutch Anton Corbijn and was prepared has some time. The photographer, who visits Portugal regularly, wanted to remove the group of Dublin, city where they inhabit and where they are to finish the writings of the new album under some pressure.

The operation was prepared in great secret and nor the publishing company in Portugal, the Universal one, wise person of the visit of the band. The group wants to unite work the rest, but already they had yesterday been recognized for some fans in Beach Great e to the night in Lisbon. The main one aimed at is Bono, the charismatic singer who turned agent politician in the last years, thanks to the innumerable civic and humanitarian interventions next to the whole world leaders.

The U2 is for many considered the best band rock of the actualidade. They had become known in dawn of years 80, height where they had launched albums as "Boy" (1980) or "October" (1981). In 1982 they had been in Portugal in a actua??o that made history in the second edition of the Festival Vilar de Mouros. However, it would be with "War", in 1983, and with a inesquec?vel actua??o in the "Live Aid" that would reach universal dimension. Albums as "Unforgettable Fire" (1984), "The Joshua Tree" (1987), "Rattle And Hum" (1988), "Achtung Baby" (1991), "Zooropa" (1993) or "Pop" (1997) would cement the position of the band as leader of the panorama international pop-rock. In simultaneous, the innumerable digress?es to the return of the world disclose a group capable to create great popular events without forgetting the vocation creative. Who fulled for complete the old Stadium of Alvalade in 1993 - "Zooropa Tour" - and in 1997 - "Pop Mart Tour" - certainly it did not forget what it lived.

Its last album, "All That You Can't Leave Behind", was edited in 2000, but it is certain that they go to return this year to records, there more for the Summer. The writings had started after the digress?o "Elevation Tour" and already if it knows that some new subjects have names as "Full metal jacket", "Native sound" or "American to prayer". The producer is Chris Thomas who already worked with so different people as Sex Pistols, Elton John or Roxy Music. In February, the guitarist The Edge affirmed that "it would be probably the album most energetic and rude of the group" and "manager" Paul McGuinness lined up for the same opinion: "It is an exciting record, of direct rock." The renewal of the rock encetada in the last years for bands as the The White Stripes or the The Strokes seems to now constitute the source of inspiration of the U2.

In the same height of the edition of the record a new biography of the group, intitled "In The Name Of Love will be launched: U2 by U2 ", that it will contain texts, unknown illustrations and photographs. But the package of new features is not for here, because it is also to be prepared a photograph book of Anton Corbijn on the U2, that probably will include some of the photographs that now are to work in Lisbon. The contribution between photographer and U2 is long. Known they had forever been the photographs to the group in the desert of the Nevada in the height of the album "The Joshua Tree" (1987). Photograph book author, of v?deoclips and also to designer, Corbijn, displays with regularity, meeting at this moment works of its authorship in galleries of art in Hamburg, Germany, and Venice, in Italy.

Thanks to follower and Elvis!

http://jornal.publico.pt/2004/04/30/Cultura/C01.html

Last edited:
They might be taking pictures for the booklet of the new album and I think Bono has his long hair so.... maybe the long hair will stay. :up: Very rock n' roll! I like it! :dance:

I like the "unite work the rest" part. Whatever that means, i think we might see an album this calendar year.

A photo from a portuguese newspaper

u2.jpg

Title : U2 ?caught in Libon's airport

(I'll try to translate...)

"U2 tryed to get unnoticed, once it's not known that they are in our Country(Portugal), but they didn't get to escape from "Telmo Azevedo's" lens. This engineer, and fan of the band, found Bono and his musicians this wednesday in the airport. The band confessed they're in Portugal taking pictures to the new album cover"

Just one comment to the article :

I just didn't agreed with the phrase "Bono and his musicians", but well... :eyebrow:

espelhito

Last edited:
sarah_U27 said:
"The group wants to unite work the rest . . . "

:huh:

The original sentence means they?re there at Portugal to do both, work and get some rest. I hope to have time later on to make a transcription for ya?ll.

Cheers
MT

Hi there.
It's true...it's true!! They were here today!!
I even got a kiss and a hug from BONO!!
They are wonderfull...they are!!! Larry and The Edge a little more shy....but they are all very cute!!!
And BONO....I have no words to describe him!!! As he spoked with me, I had a hand on his shoulder...and his voice is sonething really strong!!!

Good guys!! Now, don't forget us for the new tour!!!

It was a BEAUTIFUL DAY

Pics?? you must be pattient!!
Everything in time!!
I saw some terrific pics today!! ;o)

You will love it as well1!!!

my_kite said:
Pics?? you must be pattient!!
Everything in time!!
I saw some terrific pics today!! ;o)

You will love it as well1!!!

Thanks for your email today! We look forward to receiving your story :) :wave:

Sure...i'll write something nice!! Just give me some time to organize my ideas! Today I lived many emotions!!!

This is good news to hear!

Okay, are there any thoughts as to how long it takes for a U2 album to hit the shelves once they've done a photo shoot for the album? I don't remember when the photo shoot at the French airport happened (the BD video too) for the last album. But I am guessing 3-4 months tops now till a single or album "pops" ;) out.

You can start counting the days till September...cus that's when the boys are gonna rock us all with the new single!!!

TheBrazilianFly said:
They might be taking pictures for the booklet of the new album and I think Bono has his long hair so.... maybe the long hair will stay. :up: Very rock n' roll! I like it! :dance:

You are right about that!!
I mean, after seing him singing 'American Prayer' with Beyonc?, at the 46664 concert, I thought his hair was ruined, and that he was going to cut it short!!
But his hair is a lot longer now!! Looks really nice...and the colour. I thought I prefered his dark hair!!
But he his looking very well indeed!!!
Hope he will show up like this in the new tour!!!

my_kite said:

I mean, after seing him singing 'American Prayer' with Beyonc?, at the 46664 concert, I thought his hair was ruined, and that he was going to cut it short!!
But his hair is a lot longer now!! Looks really nice...and the colour. I thought I prefered his dark hair!!

:applaud:

:hyper:

I'm thrilled with this news!

This is all so surprising! Nothing happened for so long and then all this broke out of the blue. WOW :shocked: :happy:

Last edited:
my_kite said:

Well if he was taking pics for the new cd booklet then he just might!! Thanks for the info!!!

:up: :hyper:

According to the portuguese newspaper Correio da Manh?, they were doing more than taking pics, they were shooting images for a DVD as well. The photograph sessions and shooting took place in Praia Grande and Cabo da Roca, both in the city of Sintra, and also in Lisbon. The article also mentions that the upcoming new U2 album is due to October.

http://www.correiodamanha.pt/noticia.asp?id=105113&idselect=13&idCanal=13&p=0

Cheers
MT

WOW!! A DVD as well...with shooting made in PORTUGAL?
WOW...these are really good news!!

Back
Top Bottom