(04-20-2003) Bono Talks Bukowski in August - Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.interference.com/

Always on the hunt for random tidbits, U2News stumbled upon big-screen Bono news this weekend. Bono will be featured in a documentary about one of his favorite authors, iconoclast Charles Bukowski, entitled Bukowski: Born Into This due into theatres on August 22nd. Details are slim, but Bono and actor pal Sean Penn are given the hefty task of explaining the sometimes difficult to swallow Bukowski and his catalog of literary genius.

From the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, the following information is offered:
Sean Penn and U2's Bono help explain the genius of the late literary hell-raiser and Barfly screenwriter Charles Bukowski in this documentary by John Dullaghan.

Bukowski: Born Into This premiered at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. The following information has been found on EInsiders.com:

Thursday noon, "Bukowski: Born into This" (*** 1/2)
Not having ever read a work of Charles Bukowski's, I wondered whether a two hour and ten minute documentary about the man would keep me interested. Bukowski: Born Into This didn't just keep me interested, it had me hooked. Poet, author and screenwriter (he wrote the screenplay for Barfly, a film based on his own life), Charles Bukowski's unique writing style made him one of the most influential American authors of his generation. His life (or what was read of it through his autobiographical novels) made him an American legend. His writing style often matched his chaotic lifestyle, from his "hell on earth" experiences as a postal worker to his exploits as a womanizer (most notably detailed in his novel Women).

Director John Dullaghan brilliantly assembles his documentary in much the same fashion, piecing together a vast number of archived interviews of Bukowski (many from the foreign press), along with conversations from some of his closest friends. Bono and close friend Sean Penn offer fascinating stories about Bukowski in one of the film's most intimate moments. More great footage comes from his public readings, most notably in San Francisco's politically edgy "City Lights Bookstore." It's an often hilarious yet incredibly touching look at a blue collar man whose poetry and prose was his catharsis, for him and the millions of people who followed him.

Back
Top Bottom