(04-13-2003) U2 to take part in concert link-up in Belfast - Sunday Life *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/

Hall of fame
Rod to rock City Hall in mega Belfast/Dublin 'link-up' gig

By Joe Oliver

WRINKLY rocker Rod Stewart could be set to return to Belfast, for the biggest outdoor music event ever to take place in the city. For the spike-haired singer, who performed at last year's Stormont concert, is among a host of stars being lined up by the BBC for a Music Alive extravaganza, next summer. The council has agreed to host the event, culminating in a major concert in the grounds of the City Hall, in May.

The concert will be relayed live across the world through digital and terrestrial television and radio - with an anticipated audience of over 100 million. It will also involve a link-up between Belfast and Dublin, and appearances by U2 and The Corrs.

"This promises to be one of the most exciting events ever held in Belfast," said one Beeb insider. "We're at the full planning stage now, and the profile of artists reads like a Who's Who of the music industry.

"As well as the main concert, there will be smaller events at other venues throughout the province. "Live music will also take place on three additional days, and should meet just about every taste."

Upwards of 40,000 people are expected to attend the main FREE concert, in the grounds and surroundings of the City Hall. The cost of staging the event is estimated at ?3m. The council has already agreed in principle to put up ?100,000, which will help launch its own Summer in the City programme.

It is understood the BBC snapped up mega-rich Rod, after Sir Paul McCartney announced he would be unavailable, because of prior commitments. But, other big names, like Tom Jones, The Eagles and Oasis, are being bandied around in connection with the event.

One councillor told us: "It should be fantastic, and a memorable occasion for the entire city."

Thank you, fairy_girl!

Yeah, this could possibly be a chance for U2 to debut a new song!!! I think it seems possible. If the album might come out in the fall, then the single would probably come out late summer. So this could be the unveiling.........or they could just play "Beautiful Day" and "Streets" again. Who knows?

The_acrobat said:
Yeah, this could possibly be a chance for U2 to debut a new song!!! I think it seems possible. If the album might come out in the fall, then the single would probably come out late summer. So this could be the unveiling.........

Hopefully...wouldn't that be amazing?....:hyper: :hyper:

zoocarolina said:
I was reading this article on u2log.com and the event is planned for May 2004 not 2003, sorry to disappoint the folks hoping for a new song soon.

Oh, it sounds like this is part of the tour to promote the new album. They are supposed to have it out by then. It sounds like they are planning a date in either Dublin or Belfast.

ya, hes gross, i agree.

u2 would actually perform by themselves - not with the corrs, correct? im reading right, RIGHT?

if so, wow, that sounds really cool. only u2 interests me, but still, that should be quite the concert!

Back
Top Bottom