(04-08-2004) The 'Passion' According to U2 and Judas - Santa Cruz Sentinel*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Rock of Ages: The Passion of Judas

To mark the 50th anniversary of the rock revolution, the Sentinel is re-assessing the popular songs of the last half-century.

THIS WEEK?S SONG: "Until the End of the World" by U2 (1991). The author is pastor of Holy Cross Catholic Church in Santa Cruz.

By MARK STETZ
Sentinel CORRESPONDENT

You could call it "The Passion of the Christ" according to U2 and Judas.

With Mel Gibson?s film of the last hours of Jesus? life still a huge phenomenon in our culture and since today is Holy Thursday, when Christians worldwide begin recalling the Passion of Jesus, it seems timely to look at another pop-culture reflection on Jesus? suffering and life.

U2?s "Until the End of the World," from the landmark album "Achtung Baby," ponders actions and relationships of cosmic proportions and affords a deeper understanding of Jesus? life and a divine love.

The music is such straight-ahead radio-rock and the lyrics so personal, that most listeners might never recognize the actual narrative perspective of the song. U2?s lead singer Bono is channeling an awestruck Judas:

"Haven?t seen you in quite a while/ I was down the hold, just passing time./ Last time we met it was a low-lit room./ We were as close together as bride and groom./ We ate the food, we drank the wine./ Everybody having a good time/ Except you./ You were talking about the end of the world."

With these lyrics, Bono ponders the marvel a contemporary Christian might feel at the possibility of being at the scene of the Last Supper. But he is doing so from a distance ? a span not just in time, but in relationship. The one who had drifted away is "down the hold, just passing time." The listener could take that to refer to one?s self or the song?s narrator, Judas.

Christians throughout time, and undoubtedly in this day too, wonder what it would have been like back then, as Jesus faced his final, anguished hours. That personalization is one of the reasons for the success of Gibson?s film. What role would we play in this drama if it were unfolding before our eyes and in our hearts and souls?

Many like to think we?d do things differently. Bono suspects otherwise, and owns it. Gibson has said his film is intended to show that Jesus suffered for the sins of all. Bono illustrates how easily all can sin:

"I took the money, I spiked your drink./ You miss too much these days if you stop to think./ You led me on with those innocent eyes./ And you know I love the element of surprise./ In the garden I was playing the tart./ I kissed your lips and broke your heart./ You, you were acting like it was the end of the world."

Judas wasn?t the only one to sell out, to betray a good he?d held dear. After several years at the top of rock success with all its fame and trappings, Bono could concisely articulate the allure of the fast lane, where "you miss too much ? if you stop to think." Thoughtless choice leads to tragedy.

In just a few words, Bono, a fervent Christian, has cosmic chaos break loose, as the heart of Love Incarnate is broken and begins "acting like it was the end of the world."

With that swift phrase, the devastation Jesus felt is acutely portrayed, beginning his suffering and Passion.

But then comes the clincher: U2 doesn?t focus on the human realities of the suffering, but rather the divine reason that enables Jesus to endure, persevere and triumph: Unconditional Love. The Jesus portrayed by U2 suffers under the weight of sin, betrayal and anguish because to avoid this would go contrary to his being. Stepping away from full communion with all humanity would have been a denial of God?s unconditional, unending love.

So Bono can conclude the song: "In my dream I was drowning my sorrows/ But my sorrows they learned to swim./ Surrounding me, going down on me/ Spilling over the brim./ In waves of regret, waves of joy/ I reached out for the one I tried to destroy./ You, you said you?d wait until the end of the world."

With this final verse, the soul going through purgation and a living hell finds release. The one awaiting hope stands awestruck, bathed in healing and reconciliation, welcomed to share in the new life. U2 reveals the zenith of its faith: the embracing glory of the Resurrection ? a life after death, a love always waiting.

While Mel Gibson?s film of the Passion dramatizes (and traumatizes) every human element of Jesus? last hours, U2 transcends the visceral and brutal while capturing the anguish of the soul and a long-suffering love.

"Until the End of the World" makes the Passion of the Christ a truly personal faith journey, taking the listener from the darkness of sin and the tomb ? "down the hold, just passing time" ? into an eternity of love with the One that U2 believes would wait "until the end of the world."

NEXT WEEK: "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynryd (1973).

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2004/April/08/style/stories/04style.htm

Last edited:
this really is u2's greatest work lyricaly speaking... imho. whenever i tell people about the true meaning behind until the end of the world, they never really believe me... then they re-listen to the song, and the reaction is always the same... "wow... you're right."

this song is brilliant... from the knocking on wood sound in the begining, symbolizing the nailing to the cross... right through to the sorrow and pain shown by edge's guitar playing... i floored one of my english professors one time when i used this song for an analysis in class one time. it was the first time he heard it... he was stupified. this is u2's masterpiece... their greatest work. at least i think so.

Last edited:
i can't hear the 'knocking on the wood' in the beginning. can you tell me at what time (0:04, 0:07, etc.) do you hear this on the album version?

Marik, the "knocking" is at 00:04-00:05, right after the opening guitar. It sounds almost like a drum entrance, so you after be really paying attention.

marik said:
i can't hear the 'knocking on the wood' in the beginning. can you tell me at what time (0:04, 0:07, etc.) do you hear this on the album version?

I think Heads means the low drum sound and knocks between Edge's opening wails and him playing the riff for the first time.

I read the article today and I have to say it's an excellent article that made me love UTEOTW even more. Yes, it's a great song, a U2 masterpiece. But sometimes it needs an outsider (?) to make this fan appreciate U2 songs even more.

:up:

Marty (who has seen the light :))

:yes: Yes, and sometimes it takes more one or two times of listening to a gr-8 U2 some to really get it's meaning! So many can be interpreted more than one way!! Ahh-the beauty of U2's music!:wink:

theblazer said:
If you didn't see this before, you are a moron.

I hate U2 fans but love U2.

Nice.

You should do yourself a favor then and stop spending time on a U2 fan site, interacting with the people you hate. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom