(04-08-2003) Pavarotti and Bono sing for Iraq - BBC *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Pavarotti and Bono sing for Iraq

Opera singer Luciano Pavarotti and U2 star Bono are teaming up for a charity concert to raise money for Iraqi civilians affected by war. The pair will appear together at the 10th annual Pavarotti and Friends charity concert in the tenor's home town of Modena, Italy, in May.

The funds will go to the UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), which is preparing for a refugee crisis in the Middle East.

The opera star has been joined by big names including Bryan Adams, Liza Minnelli and Elton John for past televised extravaganzas.

This year's concert will take place on 27 May.

In 2002, he was joined by stars including Sting, Lou Reed and Andrea Bocelli for a show to raise money for Angolan refugees.

The previous year, the Pavarotti and Friends concert and related activities raised $3.3m (?2.1m) for Afghan refugees, while $1m (?645,000) was raised for refugees from Kosovo in 1999.

Pavarotti was awarded the top global award for services to refugees, the Nansen Refugee Award, in 2001.

He first sang with Bono to raise money for victims of the Bosnian war in 1995.

Bono has also been a high-profile campaigner for charity and justice around the world.

He has met President George Bush and French President Jacques Chirac to encourage them to contribute more aid relief to developing countries.

I'm just afraid that since Bono is singing w/ J-Lo & Pavarotti the next U2 record will be Opera and Top 40 Pop. I'm not kidding, it could really happen. The only way to correct this is to have Bono do a duet w/ Bono.

This is wonderful news! I am really excited about it, I have all of the Pavarotti and Friends cds and they are all excellent!
Miss Sarajevo is a great song, I am sure this next one will be just as good :yes:

Excellent! I think this is really cool! Helping refugees is a cause that's very close to my heart. I think it's crucial to help these people, and especially the children because they're the most innocent and helpless victims of circumstances that create refugees. More power to those helping all refugees everywhere! I love them!!:heart: :heart: :love: :love:

Wow-Bono has excellent taste!! And, Guts!! ha-lol! If he keeps singing in front of.let's just say Mr.Volume!! Whew-grab the hearing aids!! ha-lol! Oh, on a side note-no wonder he is my fave Op singer-my Gr-8 gGrandfather was from MOdena, Italy! Oh yeah!! How cool is that?? Rock on..ya all! :>)

Also for Iraqi children of war - New Version of ONE

Not sure if this needs it's own thread, but this from:

http://www.jarvischurch.com/intro.html

Jarvis On Peace Album
Jarvis Church is banding together with artists such as David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, Our Lady Peace Avril Lavigne and k-os to provide exclusive material and relevant tracks for the upcoming Peace Songs album. Proceeds from the sale of Peace Songs will help children affected by war through War Child Canada's international humanitarian projects, including humanitarian relief in Iraq.

Jarvis has been a strong supporters of War Child Canada for some time, and went in the studio to record his own version of U2's "One" for this project.

The double-album is scheduled to be released in Canada on April 15, 2003.

Jarvis Church originally fronted the Philosopher Kings for their first three albums I believe..

More on him at: http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/church_jarvis/bio.jhtml

MrBrau1 said:
The only way to correct this is to have Bono do a duet w/ Bono.

Actually... that has happened.

The original Salome: Axtung Beibi Outtakes demo Wake Up Dead Man mix... there's two Bono's, one on right speaker and the other on left speaker.

The songs sounds like essential Achtung Baby: elements of Mysterious Ways, EBTTRT, The Fly... more akin to ULTRAviolet (Light MY WAY) and Lady with the Spinning Head.

I really wish U2 would some day dig up old DAT tapes, and rework this potential masterpiece.

Pavarotti and Bono sing for Iraq

Hello,

I saw this at the news site of the BBC (and heard it yesterday on Dutch radio news):
Opera singer Luciano Pavarotti and U2 star Bono are teaming up for a charity concert to raise money for Iraqi civilians affected by war.

The pair will appear together at the 10th annual Pavarotti and Friends charity concert in the tenor's home town of Modena, Italy, in May.

The funds will go to the UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), which is preparing for a refugee crisis in the Middle East.

The opera star has been joined by big names including Bryan Adams, Liza Minnelli and Elton John for past televised extravaganzas.

This year's concert will take place on 27 May.

In 2002, he was joined by stars including Sting, Lou Reed and Andrea Bocelli for a show to raise money for Angolan refugees.

The previous year, the Pavarotti and Friends concert and related activities raised $3.3m (?2.1m) for Afghan refugees, while $1m (?645,000) was raised for refugees from Kosovo in 1999.

Pavarotti was awarded the top global award for services to refugees, the Nansen Refugee Award, in 2001.

He first sang with Bono to raise money for victims of the Bosnian war in 1995.

Bono has also been a high-profile campaigner for charity and justice around the world.

He has met President George Bush and French President Jacques Chirac to encourage them to contribute more aid relief to developing countries.

C ya!

Marty

(edited to correct some format mistakes)

Last edited:
What do you think they'll play/sing?

Miss Sarajevo and Hands maybe?

Although I doubt it'll be Hands, merely because of the fact that they're playing in Italy.

wow, so far no one has said that they should be in the studio to finish a hard rocking new album

I'm impressed

I think they will have a song about war, or Iraq, or both, on the new album. How's them apples, as we'd say around this neck of the woods?? If there are refugees in Iraq good grief they need help!!!

verte76 said:
I think they will have a song about war, or Iraq, or both, on the new album. How's them apples, as we'd say around this neck of the woods?? If there are refugees in Iraq good grief they need help!!!

That'd be interesting to hear.

A return to possible "Sunday Bloody Sunday" territory, perhaps?

And it'd be neat if they put this Pavorotti duet on there, too...

Ooh, if they did both those kinds of things with the new album...:hyper:...

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

That'd be interesting to hear.

A return to possible "Sunday Bloody Sunday" territory, perhaps?

And it'd be neat if they put this Pavorotti duet on there, too...

Ooh, if they did both those kinds of things with the new album...:hyper:...

Angela

Well, thematically, anyway. I think "Please" is thematically similar to SBS even if it *sounds* nothing like SBS. And yes, the Pavarotti duet would be really cool. Woo-hoo, new music *and* help for the refugees. In my book that's having my cake and eating it too.

verte76 said:

Well, thematically, anyway. I think "Please" is thematically similar to SBS even if it *sounds* nothing like SBS. And yes, the Pavarotti duet would be really cool. Woo-hoo, new music *and* help for the refugees. In my book that's having my cake and eating it too.

Haha, yeah, exactly.

And, yeah, "Please" works on the same level as SBS as far as theme goes, definitely.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom