(04-07-2004) Bono In Irish Pub Smoking Drama - The Irish Star*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
BONO U2 CANNOT SMOKE IN DUBLIN PUBS.

U2's frontman Bono was caught smoking on Saturday afternoon in Searsons of Baggot Street. Bono who only visited the pub to watch the Aintree Grand National was seen smirking as he lit up a smoke in the company of friends including The Edge. A spokesperson for the pub said that Bono indeed visited the pub for a few drinks on Saturday afternoon however they would not
comment on Bono lightling up all they could say was that there was no complaints by the public about anyone smoking on our premises.

If the U2 Frontman has indeed broke the new Irish law banning smoking in all workplaces he could be fined in excess of ?3000. The new laws which were introduced just over a week ago have been a resounding success in Ireland which is the first country to ban smoking outright from all workplaces which will include trucks, vans, company cars, offices, pubs, restaurants.

Source: The Irish Star
http://www.breaking.tcm.ie/entertainment.html

Thanks Derek and Devlin!

He's already broken the smoking law in New York (at the NY Times talk last year he lit up right on stage), and I would venture he's probably broken it in California as well. :macdevil: So this is not surprising...probably his form of civil disobedience! :D

I hope he gets fined, he wasn?t supposed to be smoking, he said it himself. He said that he lost his ability to fly as a singer because of all the smoking and now they are recording an album and..... maybe they already recorded all/most of his vocals.....:scratch: interesting!! :yes:

I just got wind that Bono is in France for the Easter holidays and will be back in the studios next week in Dublin.

And about that smoking of his, it's really up to him and he's been told by his doctor what the consequences are, but it's hard for him to quit since he's around a lot of his friends that do smoke, INCLUDING ALI!

are you basing your comment on ali being a smoker on that one pic that surfaced of them at a party and she is sitting in bono's lap with a smoke in her hand??
if so, i think that that was a rare time for her, as she probably only enjoys a ciggrette when drinking, or at a party.

marik said:
are you basing your comment on ali being a smoker on that one pic that surfaced of them at a party and she is sitting in bono's lap with a smoke in her hand??
if so, i think that that was a rare time for her, as she probably only enjoys a ciggrette when drinking, or at a party.

How do you know about Ali's smoking habits? Don't assume anything, because for all we know, she could burn a joint every night before bed. Highly unlikely, but still.

Being a smoker myself, like Bono, I am aware of the hazards to your health. But some of you just don't understand how hard it is to quit. Some of you think it's just weak minded if someone can't stop smoking. It's incredibly hard to quit smoking. I've tried a few times....they always find their way back. So just understand that while Bono has to be aware of the effects smoking has on his voice, he has to be willing to make a firm commitment to quitting.

Well, Bono's last comment on this was that he was down to "three cigarettes a week". No doubt he must save these cigs for very special (or desperate) occasions. If this incident actually happened (and wasn't just some tabloid nonsense), then I bet this was considered a "special" occasion. Remember, Bono owns (and/or co-owns) a number of hospitality industry establishments (pubs, restaurants, a hotel). The jury's still out on how serious an impact this will have overall on the Irish hospitality business, but Bono's not just some random, non stake-holding smoker in all of this. (But yes, he really needs to quit--way easier said than done!)

I'm really not surprised this happened. Since when did Bono like rules? True, he shouldn't be doing it. But he's a human being, not some Superperson. I don't know anything about this publication. Is it a tabloid? Maybe this didn't happen and they were just trying to sell newspapers.

Last edited:
Isn't it amazing that a report on Bono breaking the smoking ban in Ireland will get more response from us than a report on the Global AIDS crisis or some other BONO-fide issue? :scratch:

While I can't agree with anyone breaking this law, I REALLY don't see as a major U2 issue(outside of the possible adverse effect on the B-man's health). :yes:

I REALLY wish that we would put more of our efforts into concerning ourselves with the REAL issues of the day - those that Bono is also concerned with - rather than here.:bono: :up:

HE PROBABLY DID IT JUST TO SHOW EVERYONE IN HIS LIFE WHO IS TRYING TO CONTROL HIM THAT HE IS STILL HIS OWN MAN!!:heart: :heart: ;)

LOVE YOU, BONO!:hug:

maybe Bono forgot where he was??? ha!!!

anyway I have to agree that it would be nice to see as intersted reponse from bigger issues then this smoking ban.. it's the mans business if and where he smokes even if it's against the law.. should he pay attention to the law .. well ya we all should , but we all don't ...... thats Bono.. no wonder I adore him ...

I hope this doesnt turn into one of those Bono FCC things..

I doubt very much this was Bono trying to get attention although it's not unlike him to make a statement

and yep is indeed hard to stop ...I've done it 5 or 6 times

Headache in a Suitcase said:
at least he didn't say fuck :shrug:

oh... and so much for "the edge's cousin's" claim that bono was in spain or where ever the hell they're supposed to be recording... kinda hard to be caught smoking in a dublin pub if you're not in ireland.

Oh dear you're wrong again!!:rolleyes:

The recording in Spain rumours came from another SITE not edges cousin months ago, this about Bono smoking was LAST Saturday and Bono is now in FRANCE on holiday!

OK????

This info didnt come from the edges cousin it came from Sam the studio manager at Hanover Quay on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

:lmao: :bono: This is hilarious! Of course Bono would be caught smoking in a pub after it was baned, not at all surprized. And he knows he it's not good for him or his voicc. But I for one am glad they have not put a ban on eatting!!! I'd be S******! lol, not really, I am not one that can be his judge, cuz as some brilliant person once said, (from the Stage*)"..You can be addicted to anything..!" True, sad but true:|

Bono's Tart said:

Oh dear you're wrong again!!:rolleyes:

The recording in Spain rumours came from another SITE not edges cousin months ago, this about Bono smoking was LAST Saturday and Bono is now in FRANCE on holiday!

OK????

This info didnt come from the edges cousin it came from Sam the studio manager at Hanover Quay on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

well thanks for clearing that up for me

For everyone who is against the idea of Bono smoking (and believe me, I'm one of them), think about this: If Bono had never picked up a cigarette, Achtung Baby, as we all know it, would not exist. His early 90s half raspy voice is inextricably tied to the sound, dimension, and dynamics of that album. Sure, smoking has now damaged some of his former abilities, but we did get one amazing album out of it!

Still, I would give anything to hear Bono's Joshua Tree voice again.

I guess we can't have it all.

funny that the stuff that our fav band does that is taboo (oh no he smoked in a public place!) is very tame compared to say nirvana (oh no he almost died from a heroin addiction!) :wink:

Please stop making fun of the Edge's cousin thing. I tell you, there WAS an Edge's cousin on Zootopia who was sincere but posted infrequently. Is it out of the question to believe Edge has a cousin and she goes to U2 sites? If my cousins were famous I would. BTW this cousin never revealed any secret info or started any rumors, like a good cousin wouldn't. The people who do that are fans on the street who claim the band told them something they didn't tell anyone else (like the Solar thing and a lot of new album rumors) Also a lot of incorrect info comes from people in Ireland lying to fans about the bands' whereabouts. Some of them might be mean, but some of them are only trying to protect the bands' privacy. If everyone were told the truth and called all their friends, my gosh, you'd have a hundred people following them around every day. Even though some girls might swear "Sam" is nice and never lies, I'm sure he has had to. I can't believe anyone would really tell a group of people the time and place each band member was going to be, I mean, that would invite too many people and open the door for the possibly dangerous chance that somebody might be stalking the band to hurt them :(

But back on topic, I was hoping Bono would make a stand against that law. Good for Bono! :up:

I totally agree!

U2Kitten said:
But back on topic, I was hoping Bono would make a stand against that law. Good for Bono! :up:

Laws were made to be broken.

:macdevil:

"Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?"
"What do you got?"
:wink:

U2Kitten said:
[Also a lot of incorrect info comes from people in Ireland lying to fans about the bands' whereabouts. Some of them might be mean, but some of them are only trying to protect the bands' privacy. If everyone were told the truth and called all their friends, my gosh, you'd have a hundred people following them around every day. Even though some girls might swear "Sam" is nice and never lies, I'm sure he has had to. I can't believe anyone would really tell a group of people the time and place each band member was going to be, I mean, that would invite too many people and open the door for the possibly dangerous chance that somebody might be stalking the band to hurt them :(

I dont know of any time Sam or anyone else has given any such info!! Telling a fan that Bono is in France is very vague, no dates,times or places there!! Contrary to popluar belief there arent usually that many fans at the studios maybe half a dozen we have never had anyone else with us. I suppose when they play Dublin then its a different matter all together.
I am still confused as to why people think that employees of U2 wouldnt tell a fan if the band are around or not? They are hardly disclosing vital info if they say yes the band are due in or no they are away!! :huh:

U2 have always made themselves available to fans with the exception of Larry granted!! Bono hardly ever has security with him in Dublin sometimes a driver, but even he will help you out if you want to meet Bono!! within reason of course!

Smoke..or not to smoke!!

This is really odd!! Thinking of a country like Ireland (wich has a thousand pubs...they are everywhere) with a law saying that it is not aloud to smoke in public?? Bad mood to the pubs owners!!!

Even tought I don't smoke, i think that it must be really for the smokers to go to a pub and not lightning a cigar!! I agree with you, when you say you can't imagine a pub without smoke...have you ever seen one?? ;o)

Maybe Bono just forgot that new law!! Or maybe not...maybe not!

I would like to be one of those standing in a pub and seing Bono coming in...wow!! That's something really nice!! And I just hope that this means that the album is done!! YEAh...otherwise....Mr. Bono...turn off your cigar and get your hass back to the studio...because i need that new album!!!
;o)

Back
Top Bottom