(04-04-2003) Bono Confirms Lopez Duet For Charity - New York Daily News *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.nydailynews.com/

BONO AND Dr. Dre were among the dozen friends who flew to Aspen for the 50th-birthday party thrown for Interscope honcho Jimmy Iovine at the Aspen Mountain Club. Bono told pals that he's very grateful to Oprah Winfrey, who we hear sent a six-figure check to his foundation, DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa). The U2 rocker also says that he's remixing the charity single he recorded with Jennifer Lopez - due out in the summer...

Oprah is cool! I :heart: her even more now!! But can't he find someone else to do a duet with?! Jennifer Lopez :no: He could have done a duet with..like Chris Martin? Gwen Stefani? A duet with Gwen Stefani would have been AWESOME! I need to be Bono's assistant/advisor!

It's a charity single. He did the same thing a few years ago w/ the likes of Fred Durst, Christina Aguliera, and others. He described it as "going into the malls" to get the message out.

oprah has been very active with africa ever since he appeared on her show. :up: now with this single. i am just laughing at the the whole idea at bono partying it up w/ Dre. :lol: you go boy! i am sure this single will raise plenty of $$$ for charity. i however will not be buying it. sorry i don't like Jennifer Lopez :down:

it's true!!! oh gawd, the apocalypse is near!!! :sad:

at least it's for charity...but still. ugh@J Lo

Last edited:
*feeling a little better that there was some kind of REASON behind this*

I :heart: Oprah!!! I knew she would help Bono!!!
And the JLo thing will be interesting, hey atleast we know its for charity!

I'm happy. It's for charity, and with the combined forces of not just U2 and J.Lo's fans but also the general record buying public (this is going to be huge, I think) a good couple of million could be raised for a good cause.

So I take it we'll get to hear Bono hip hop style? Maybe throw in a rap?

I'm curious what it will turn out like.

U2girl said:
So I take it we'll get to hear Bono hip hop style? Maybe throw in a rap?

I'm curious what it will turn out like.
hell no.

this is the worst thing ever to happen to u2. im not surprised most ofyou dismiss this as being ok, its typical of blind faith in any person or band.

i couldnt care less if this was for charity or not, this is rediculous. as someone else already said, there are many other artists he could have collaberated with.

instead, he chose a skank. may as well get together with justin timberlake and brittany spears for his next project and do a little dance number! how exciting! how lame.

bono, SMARTEN UP OLD BOY.

Last edited:
there is nothing wrong with what i said, except for the swears. swearing is useless, and it stems from the laziness of the mind. im a firm believer that swearing is always a cop out, and one can describe things better without resorting to it.

I kind of agree with Gickies Gageeze. A duet with JLo borders on selling out, even if it's for charity. I see this benefitting her career, but i don't see what it does for bono. I know he means well, but....hopefully it will be forgotten as quickly as that project he did with wyclef, "a new day".

on and on with U2 bashing, eh? sheesh

Gickies Gageeze said:

hell no.

this is the worst thing ever to happen to u2. im not surprised most ofyou dismiss this as being ok, its typical of blind faith in any person or band.

i couldnt care less if this was for charity or not, this is rediculous. as someone else already said, there are many other artists he could have collaberated with.

instead, he chose a skank. may as well get together with justin timberlake and brittany spears for his next project and do a little dance number! how exciting! how lame.

bono, SMARTEN UP OLD BOY.

Nothing wrong? A bit harsh don't you think?

Worst thing to happen to U2? It's a Bono duet - what does it have to do with the band?

What does what others think have to do with your opinion? What do you care how we think about this?

Second, (not just for you) why is there the need to dismiss the song in advance? Can't you give it a listen first and then decide?

He can and will collaborate with whoever he wants. You are more than free to not buy the CD, or not listen to the song on the radio or not watch the video (if there is one).

Britney was included on What's going on BTW.

We'll if Bono's a piece of shit for performing w/ J-Lo, then the Flaming Lips are just as bad, cause they played LIVE with Justin Timberlake on bass a few months back! You guys are acting like you're in your old High School clicks. "Don't hang out with that guy, he's not one of us."

Here's a list of people he's colaborated w/ off the top of my head:

Wyclef Jean
BB King
Johnny Cash
Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Jennifer Lopez
Michael Stipe
Chris Martin
Willie Nelson
Bob Dylan
Sinead O'connor
Gavin Friday
Fred Durst
Christy Moore
Nelly
Moby
Scott Weiland
Robbie Robertson
Luciano Pavarotti

I can't even begin to recall who was on Sun City or Let Them Know it's Xmas Time. But I'm sure many of them didn't have the "indie cred" some of you base you liking of music on.

If you ask me, the list is just great because it's all over the place.

Last edited:
I agree with U2girl on this topic
It is for charity and why just can he have some fun
I think we should give the song a change and listen to it at least once.The B-man still deseves respect :heart:

Mr Brau: really? What did he do with Johhny Cash, Moby, Bob Dylan and Scott Weiland?

U2girl said:
Mr Brau: really? What did he do with Johhny Cash, Moby, Bob Dylan and Scott Weiland?

Cash was on Zooropa
Dylan was on Rattle N Hum
Moby has performed with U2 before, I believe, or done a remix

U2girl said:

Johnny Cash is on The Wanderer off Zooropa.

Bob Dylan Co-wrote Love Rescue Me and played hammond organ
on Hawkmoon 269.

Moby and Scott Weiland appeared on the "What's Going On" charity single Bono put together a few years ago.

Ah...*smacks head*
:eek:
I temporarily forgot about Zooropa and Rattle and Hum collaborations.

I didn't know Moby and Weiland were also on the What's going on single.

And he was about to record w/ Joe Strummer. If Johnny Cash wasn't enough for permanent cool, adding him to the list would've been.

bono is smart enough to know that if he really wants to raise more money for charity - it's a good plan to duet with someone commercial and popular like j-lo. love her or hate her, she brings in the cash. and cash is what DATA needs. it's the end rather than the means. i think it's good that he's putting his heart ahead of his ego.

Screaming Flower said:
bono is smart enough to know that if he really wants to raise more money for charity - it's a good plan to duet with someone commercial and popular like j-lo. love her or hate her, she brings in the cash. and cash is what DATA needs. it's the end rather than the means. i think it's good that he's putting his heart ahead of his ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom