(04-04-2003) Bono Confirms Lopez Duet For Charity - New York Daily News *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eww...Bono and J-Ho?

:barf:

I'm still waiting for that Avril LaVigne duet! Maybe Bono can be her sk8r boi.

Melon

HelloAngel said:
Clearly my judgement is off. I'll just wait until someone asks me to close this thread. Have fun, everybody.

I don't think your judgement is off at all.

I am all for the free exchange of thought.

For example, a perspective that says 'I cant stand J-LO, but Im willing and open-minded enough to try and see what it was Bono saw in a collaboration with her when the single is released', I can greatly respect.

However, when it becomes about trashing my favorite singer or band though because of personal taste and questioning their level of standards or judgement, or making inferences that he must be getting some ass out of it or any of the other crass comments I've heard about him on this and other boards, that I cannot respect.

That point was reached a couple of pages ago, so perhaps it is time to close the discussion.

Bono could just donate the money right away from his own wallet and save us all some pain.

melon said:
Eww...Bono and J-Ho?

:barf:

I'm still waiting for that Avril LaVigne duet! Maybe Bono can be her sk8r boi.

Melon

haha, that would rock each others wooeoeoeoeooeoeoeooerld!

U2FReAk said:
Bono could just donate the money right away from his own wallet and save us all some pain.
or even simply ask us to, id be happy to donate money towards a cause like that, but theres no chance ill ever fork over money for anything that involves j.lo.

Zoomerang96 said:

or even simply ask us to, id be happy to donate money towards a cause like that, but theres no chance ill ever fork over money for anything that involves j.lo.

Does that include The United Way's September 11th Fund and Artists Against AIDS Worldwide?

Those were the two charities that I 'forked over' my money to the last time 'anything involving J-Lo' was put out by Bono and friends.

If you will recall What's Going On...?

:tsk:

I'll gladly donate money to whomever as long as I don't have to keep that single in my possesion. lol.

Last edited:
ALEXRUS said:
I hope Bono did enjoy the company of J.Lo...apart from singing:)

what does this even mean?

like seriously, what are you implying?

hey look buddy, next weekend when your with your friends, i hope you enjoy their company.

:adam: <--- cool man

I don't consider myself a music snob-and I personally don't want to be one. Oh, sure, I'll make jokes every now and again about certain artists-but people make fun of the music I listen to as well sometimes, so it all balances out.

And there's artists I personally cannot stand and would never listen to, but really, at the end of the day, as long as you enjoy what you're listening to, that's all that matters, I think.

I mean, I despise disco with a passion. But I won't look down on those who do listen to it.

So once again, I'm with gabriel.

Seriously, why are we all arguing over this?

If you don't want to buy the single, fine.

If you do, that's fine, too.

I don't think people need to get into a whole tizzy over it.

Besides, charities can get a lot of money through selling singles, and this would be a great way to get some money for charity-sell a single with a popular artist that people love, buy that single, and the money goes to what it needs to go to.

Bono has dolled out some money himself for this whole thing, before, too.

Bono's respect in the music world survived his singing with people like Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguillera on the "What's Going On" single when it was released, I think he'll be okay this time around, too.

And even if people do make fun of him, I don't think Bono's gonna care. The charity is more important to him than what some people say about who he duets with. Screw what they say.

Angela

it appears U2 fans have sold out, making excuses for garbage like this

could you fucking imagine Bono doing a duet a decade ago during the height of Zoo TV with some knucklehead like Latoya Jackson, Paula Abdul or Samatha Fox?

how about 5 years ago with Ginger Spice?

let's see, before Bono and U2 were doing duets and collaborating with badasses like Luciano Pavorroti, Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, B.B. King and Sinead O'Conner... now we have Wyclef Jean, Andrea Corr and J. Lo. :huh:

The Wanderer said:

could you fucking imagine Bono doing a duet a decade ago during the height of Zoo TV with some knucklehead like Latoya Jackson, Paula Abdul or Samatha Fox?

let's see, before Bono and U2 were doing duets and collaborating with badasses like Luciano Pavorroti, Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra, Lou Reed, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, B.B. King and Sinead O'Conner... now we have Wyclef Jean, Andrea Corr and J. Lo. :huh:

well said. :up:

The Wanderer said:

10 years ago U2 were mocking a president named Bush. Now Bono's seen shaking the hand of a president named Bush. Seasons change and so do I.

Music snobs still suck, they miss the point of music entirely, and therefore, their opinions are invalid. Be proud of it of you want, but it ain't about cool.

what the fuck are you talking about? if I dont bend over for anything Bono does I'm a music snob?

so next time I'm talking about the french, germans or even the canadians, I'll just call them music snobs!

The Wanderer said:

actually, I can
we would have pretended it was irony at its finest

U2 fans sold out? U2 has no more standards?

It's a BONO charity song - nothing in the least to do with U2, so stop confusing the two.
And I would appreciate it if the "you're lame for not instantly, pre-emptive strikish hating this duet" attitude would not be brought up - yes I think the idea that it's uber forbidden to make music with some people and only allowed to work with cool and underground bands is nothing but music snobism.
If the concept that some people actually might want to hear the new song first before they decide what they think about it (let's not forget J. Lo wasn't sure about the release herself) and that charity can be done by any artist/band is apparently so funny, the concept that Bono should be picky and careful what he does as not to dissapoint the fans is even funnier. He's been around for 20+ years, I think he knows what he's doing and it's not like he needs anyone's permission or approval.

Charity is always good, I don't care who collaborates - if he can get a help from a mainstream artist all the better, as the song will get more attention and possibly more exposure (both things can help increase sales). It's the end not the means that count IMO.

As for asking people to donate money: has anyone forgotten what happened when Bono travelled around US asking for money? How badly burned he got by the media (at least some)? That even now, there are people who dislike U2 simply because they don't like his agenda?

Lastly, I think he is way past caring about a certain image. (I mean, you can't get much more anti-rock star cliche than getting into political and social issues with the world leaders, and being succesful at it)

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I mean, you can't get much more anti-rock star cliche than getting into political and social issues with the world leaders, and being succesful at it.

thats what bono says. he says a lot of things.

u2girl, as a fellow music snob, i do believe there are people you should collaberate with, and those that you shouldnt.

howd you have liked it if scorcese would have inserted (that guy whos in that seventies show and was an uber-loser in "dude where my car") instead of daniel day lewis. its the same thing.

i firmly believe this is a dumb move on bono's behalf.

:der: Can I agree with both Gickies and U2girl?

Bottom line- the whole world needs to lighten up. We tend to take ourselves waaaay too seriously.

Gickies Gageeze said:

thats what bono says. he says a lot of things.

u2girl, as a fellow music snob, i do believe there are people you should collaberate with, and those that you shouldnt.

howd you have liked it if scorcese would have inserted (that guy whos in that seventies show and was an uber-loser in "dude where my car") instead of daniel day lewis. its the same thing.

i firmly believe this is a dumb move on bono's behalf.

True, he says a lot of things, but as many things about U2 may be against rock star cliches, this may be the biggest one of them. (I can't think of any other musician with this famous/legendary status who would be this engaged and this good at it. Sure, people will say "John Lennon" but all he did was bed-ins. Nothing remotely efficient as getting 15 billion dollars from the congress or getting 1 third of the third world debt dropped.)

I'm not sure I follow your comparison with Scorsese? Big Hollywood movies use big acting (or big as in "hot at the moment") names.
Big music names have the choice - as long as music companies don't prevent it.

Fine, believe those two things. Just don't insult Bono or U2 fans with different opinions at it.

U2girl is right.

And by the way, I happen to have respect for Andrea Corr and Wyclef Jean (who did a rather nice song called "Gone 'Till November" that I happen to like).

Nobody is saying you have to like everything U2 does. There's songs by U2 I'm not a big fan of, and there's some other things they've done or Bono's done that I particularly may not like. If you heard the single and then decided that you didn't like it, that's fine.

But to sit there and call those of us who are willing to be open-minded about this whole thing (for cripes' sake, you haven't even heard the song yet) "blind followers", or to say we've "sold out"-I take some offense to that. We're just not gonna sit there and get all upset over something we haven't even heard yet.

And if that makes us "blind followers", then...:shrug:. Whatever. Guilty as charged, I guess.

And then to sit there and also make it seem like you're gonna stop liking Bono because of this...I'm sorry, that just seems awfully drastic.

I despise Bush with a passion, but Bono hangs out with him.

And I know Bono happens to like ABBA's music, which I don't like-hell, he's done "Dancing Queen" at concerts before! And I absolutely cannot stand that song.

But I'm not gonna drop all respect for Bono because of those things.

If you want to, fine, whatever.

I just think that's really drastic and kind of childish.

But that's just my opinion. :shrug:.

Angela

U2girl said:
yes I think the idea that it's uber forbidden to make music with some people and only allowed to work with cool and underground bands is nothing but music snobism...

actually J. Lo. is considered "cool" by millions of consumers. no one said anything about underground bands either, unless you consider artists like Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, B.B. King, Frank Sinatra, Roy Orbison, Lou Reed and Sinead O'Conner to be underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom