(03-31-2004) Bono: How Faith Fuels His Quest to Save the World -- Relevant Magazine *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.relevantmagazine.com/issue7/images/cover.jpg[/SIMG]
Bono: How Faith Fuels His Quest to Save the World

Relevant magazine is running a profile of Bono in its March/April one-year anniversary issue, on newsstands now. The story, called "Opening Eyes: Bono Awakens the Church to Social Activism," focuses on Bono's call to churches to take an active role in the fight against AIDS in Africa and the role spirituality has played in Bono's career.

On his work with church groups, Relevant writes:
"Aside from loosening the political grip on the issue, Bono has also broken down stereotypes within church walls and pointed out the errors of some evangelical communities in need of scolding. One myth often associated with contracting AIDS is that it stems from sexual irresponsibility, often traced to same-gender relations. 'It's a remarkable thing, the idea that there's some sort of hierarchy to sin,' Bono said. 'It's something I can never figure out, the idea that sexual immorality is somehow much worse than, say, institutional greed. Somewhere in the back of the religious mind is this idea that we reap what we sow [that] is missing the entire New Testament and the concept of grace completely.'"

On the part spirituality has played in Bono's career, the magazine says:
"It?s evident that Bono's spiritual emphasis was never missing from the U2 equation since the band debuted with 'Boy' in 1980. Perhaps it was just overshadowed by critical interpretation, unfair scrutiny by the Christian community and more headline stock in being a controversial celebrity than caretaker. 'I wouldn't say his spiritual awakening is a recent thing; it probably happened when he was a teenager and asked Christ into his life,' proposed Martin Smith, singer for UK group Delirious? 'His work has been spiritually "alive" throughout his career, and his challenge to the church to tackle AIDS is only an extension of that.'"

Relevant is a Christian pop culture magazine published by Relevant Media Group Inc., publishers of "Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2" and "Spiritual Journeys: How Faith Has Influenced 12 Music Icons." For more information on the magazine, including where to purchase it, visit RelevantMagazine.com.

Thanks Summer!

BONO - one person who made a conscious decision at a very early age to trust God, respect Life and to live every waking moment in Humility, Openness, Honesty, Grace and Joy.:yes:

His will be a life that will be emulated and respected for many years to come.:heart: :up:

Thank you, Bono, for allowing us to be a small part of your Journey through this life. Thank you for showing us the way Home.:bono: :hug:

Peace and Love. :heart: :heart:

Re: (03-31-2004) Bono: How Faith Fuels His Quest to Save the World -- Relevant Magazine *

I just love this part:

-- One myth often associated with contracting AIDS is that it stems from sexual irresponsibility, often traced to same-gender relations. 'It's a remarkable thing, the idea that there's some sort of hierarchy to sin,' Bono said. 'It's something I can never figure out, the idea that sexual immorality is somehow much worse than, say, institutional greed. Somewhere in the back of the religious mind is this idea that we reap what we sow [that] is missing the entire New Testament and the concept of grace completely."

He has the most wonderful way of putting common sense into word's.

Last edited:
Well, the majority of people who get AIDS do get it from sexual contact, so why is that a myth?
I'm not saying that sexual sin is worse than greed, i'm just saying what i'm saying.
I have a copy of Relevant magazine...one with POD on the cover.

PennyPyro said:
Well, the majority of people who get AIDS do get it from sexual contact, so why is that a myth?
I'm not saying that sexual sin is worse than greed, i'm just saying what i'm saying.

And you're just misreading the quote. It says "sexual irresponsibility," not "sexual contact."

Back
Top Bottom