(03-27-2003) J.Lo Sings With Bono? - LAUNCH *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
verte76 said:
I want to see this on at least one more report from another news agency before I believe this. It's too easy for the show biz press to spout off about stuff like this.

i agree - unfortunately as helloangel said, this is taken directly from j.lo's words on her OFFICIAL website.

for this not to be true would be quite something, at this point.

Gickies Gageeze said:

i agree - unfortunately as helloangel said, this is taken directly from j.lo's words on her OFFICIAL website.

for this not to be true would be quite something, at this point.

Hopefully J-Lo is either lying or delusional. (I know, I know, I'm grasping at straws). I'm going to try to forget all about this. Even if it was recorded (God forbid), it may never see the light of day as J-Lo said.

I still believe that this is all a PR stunt. J-Lo is the type of celebrity who needs to have people talking about her, and paying attention to her, and this is another way of getting people to do that. She can't talk about getting married to Ben Affleck anymore, 'cause that's getting old, and she needs to come up with a better idea. Unfortunately, she picked Bono.

Many celebrities (Britney Spears, Fred Durst to name a few), have announced things or given information out on thier official websites, and sometimes what they were saying wasn't true anyway.

So, I'm sticking to the belief that this is a rumor started by J-Lo herself to get attention. After all, lately there's been a dry spell of her in the news, right?

If this is true, I would also be very disappointed in Bono. I think what everyone's been saying is exactly how I would feel. And I definitely agree that this would be the lowest of the low for Bono.

Perle

Last edited:
Gickies Gageeze said:
it has to do with u2 kissing the ass of general public everywhere, as they desperately hold on to being relevant.

relevance comes naturally, NOT by repeating oneself over and over again by proclaiming that your "the best band in the world."

bono's side work with wyclef and with all those loser artists for whats going on, isn't brilliant in my books.

selling out to best buy and target last year is another example of how u2's credibility has sunk to new lows for the band. everything they do is rediculously calculated towards the bottom line - they are not a rock band to me anymore, they are a corporation.

and now this, this is the final straw. working with j.lo? i thought he wanted to kick pop off the charts?

thanks bono and u2, for a couple of years you meant so much to me. now it appears as though the monster DID eat you before you ate the monster.

You are being a little harsh and exaggerating things here just a bit, don't you think? Although, I do understand where you are coming from:

1)the Best Buy and Target stuff annoyed me slightly but U2 has been advertised with companies in the past and promotion is a part of the deal so I got over it

2) most of Bono's duets (that I know of) have been innocuous; the Wyclef thing didn't get much attention and they are both similar in political words and thoughts; the duet w/the Coors was Bono helping people from Dublin; and the "What's going on" thing was for charity....

3)the "Best Band..." stuff is typical Bono: arrogant, causing a stir; at it's best he is doing his job properly---at it's worst, he is an annoying asshole

I must admit, Bono & U2 have straddled the line of credibility a bit during the past few years. They have always wanted to be BIG and appeal to the masses and if the music is solid(which, for the most part, has been) that is fine.

However, working with J-ho would be the lowest point in his career. This screams of desperation, lack of integrity and could kill much credibility that he has(I cannot condone the entire band, b/c they did not participate in this nonsense and have reportedly disagreed w/Bono recently on some issues).

I hope that it is false and hope that if true, it is never released. If it is released, I am concerned to witness the deserved backlash that Bono and U2 may receive.

MBH said:

What are some of the things that Bono has done during the "latest years" that has encouraged you to lose respect for him? Just curious......

Yea i'm kinda curious myself U2 freak?????What has Bono done over the past few years that has lost ur respect??????

K last nite i tried picturing Bono and THAT WOMAN singing together............it just wouldnt sound right.......it would be like juice without sugar..........tasteless!!!!!!!! ......I cant even stand to look at that skank!!!!!!I'm so sorry for Ben Affleck ,another one of her victims........she'll marry him ,use him ,dump him and then move on..........cant even stick to one man.......she disgusts me.....:madspit: :madspit: @ J LO!!!!!!!

Bono's shades said:

Hopefully J-Lo is either lying or delusional. (I know, I know, I'm grasping at straws). I'm going to try to forget all about this. Even if it was recorded (God forbid), it may never see the light of day as J-Lo said.

If it isn't a joke...I would be willing to believe it is a lie.

She's lied in the past. "Oh, I wasn't with Puff Daddy that night..."
"Me and Ralph Fiennes are dating, here's where to photograph us."

I mean, think about it...why would that duet (featuring a superstar like Bono and flash-in-the-pan, but incredibly marketable J. Lo) *not* be released? Unless it doesn't exist.
By saying it exists, she probably thinks she can make it so.
I mean, would Bono go out and deny a claim?

the idea also makes me want to throw up. I wouldn't even listen, I don't care if it is Bono.

EveClayton said:

Yea i'm kinda curious myself U2 freak?????What has Bono done over the past few years that has lost ur respect??????

you have not been

paying ah ten shun

pay atten-shun pay a-tension

sorry. song is stuck in my head...:wink:

but seriously, there has been a lot going around lately (since atylcb) that makes me nauseated.

this is the most extreme example.

Just because something is on J-Lo's official site doesn't mean a damn thing to me. That doesn't make it true. If I believed everything I'd read on official web sites........egads. She just wants attention. :mad: :censored: :scream:

Hey everyone...

Let's try and keep this calm. Perhaps JLo is telling the truth about this - she has no reason to lie, and I don't think we should accuse her of just wanting attention. People who listen to JLo don't necessarily care about a duet with Bono - they care about the mention of Craig David.

If possible, please everyone refrain from tearing into each other about believing or not believing in Bono anymore - for all you know, this "duet" could be on an upcoming AIDS collaboration album - I'm not her biggest fan, but JLo does do some charity work, and thus, this song might be charity-related, as this is how she and Bono collaborated before.

Let's wait to see how this pans out. The info came from Jennifer's mouth. Whether you choose to believe her or not, it's your decision.

Last edited:
people keep saying j. lo. wants attention, well thats pretty obvious, ill agree. but your failing to mention that bono hardly shuns the spotlight.

HelloAngel said:
Hey everyone...

Let's try and keep this calm. Perhaps JLo is telling the truth about this - she has no reason to lie, and I don't think we should accuse her of just wanting attention. People who listen to JLo don't necessarily care about a duet with Bono - they care about the mention of Craig David.

If possible, please everyone refrain from tearing into each other about believing or not believing in Bono anymore - for all you know, this "duet" could be on an upcoming AIDS collaboration album - I'm not her biggest fan, but JLo does do some charity work, and thus, this song might be charity-related, as this is how she and Bono collaborated before.

Let's wait to see how this pans out. The info came from Jennifer's mouth. Whether you choose to believe her or not, it's your decision.

Well said.

I'm not a J-Lo fan, either, by any means...but if this is true and I hear the song, even if I don't like it, I'm personally not gonna stop liking Bono because of who he recorded with, if you want to, then fine, go ahead, but like HelloAngel said, it could just be for a charity, keep that in mind as well.

And even if it's not, so what? I mean, like I said early on, of all the people out there I'd want to see Bono work with on a song, J-Lo'd be awfully low on my list-and I'd prefer that this story wasn't true, but...*shrugs*. There's no law that says that you can only duet with people that make the same music you do or anything like that.

But anyway, I agree with HelloAngel, let's all wait and see if it's definitely true first off-it could just be a fun little April Fools' joke or something.

And if it is true, then let's wait and hear the song first before we freak out.

Who knows? It may actually be good.

Angela

I agree. It's a bit silly to freak out over Bono doing a song with J Lo without knowing the particulars. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and I don't know who else was on "What's Going On", something Bono did for AIDS in Africa. I don't remember anyone yelling about him "doing a song with Britney". There was really no need to. That was a charity, a la Band Aid, etc, etc. What song was it? We don't know. Maybe Hip-Hop Artist X did a song for an AIDS charity. Bono has alot of friends in the hip-hop community. So does Jennifer. I don't know why we have start making character judgments or whatever based on Bono being in the same room with someone who perhaps you're not overly fond of. I don't know that J. Q. Sixpack gives a damn about some of this, and maybe the outcome of the venture is indeed to appeal to J. Q. Sixpack on the subject of AIDS in Africa or something. Let's not rush to judge something we have incomplete or even missing information on. I'm sorry if I did this. If I did it was definitely a screw-up. :reject: :banghead: :eek: :help:

Last edited:
:up: Verte....

I think people are overreacting just a little bit...for all we know it could be that's she's on that song for Nelson Mandela (which, last I heard, most of the music community is being featured on it also). Or it could be that her producers have taken a sample from a U2 song and she's gonna booty shake all over it, who knows.

i stand by what i said. bono of old would not have tooled himself like this.

if this is proves to be a hoax, ill be relieved.

verte76 said:
I agree. It's a bit silly to freak out over Bono doing a song with J Lo without knowing the particulars. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and I don't know who else was on "What's Going On", something Bono did for AIDS in Africa. I don't remember anyone yelling about him "doing a song with Britney". There was really no need to. That was a charity, a la Band Aid, etc, etc. What song was it? We don't know. Maybe Hip-Hop Artist X did a song for an AIDS charity. Bono has alot of friends in the hip-hop community. So does Jennifer. I don't know why we have start making character judgments or whatever based on Bono being in the same room with someone who perhaps you're not overly fond of. I don't know that J. Q. Sixpack gives a damn about some of this, and maybe the outcome of the venture is indeed to appeal to J. Q. Sixpack on the subject of AIDS in Africa or something. Let's not rush to judge something we have incomplete or even missing information on. I'm sorry if I did this. If I did it was definitely a screw-up. :reject: :banghead: :eek: :help:

*Agrees with all of this post.

:up:.

Angela

daisybean said:
:up: Verte....

I think people are overreacting just a little bit...for all we know it could be that's she's on that song for Nelson Mandela (which, last I heard, most of the music community is being featured on it also). Or it could be that her producers have taken a sample from a U2 song and she's gonna booty shake all over it, who knows.

Yeah, it could be a tribute to Nelson Mandela. Who knows? Personally I couldn't care less who had a mike out in the same room as Bono did two weeks ago in Studio X in New York if they were indeed involved in a worthy cause.:yawn: :yawn:

Well ........

Gickies Gageeze said:

you have not been

paying ah ten shun

pay atten-shun pay a-tension

sorry. song is stuck in my head...:wink:

but seriously, there has been a lot going around lately (since atylcb) that makes me nauseated.

this is the most extreme example.

Gickies i HAVE been a fan for 1 YEAR so i'm still learning about the band and the guys.........so that's why i asked her to explain.:sexywink: :sexywink: And i wonder if Bono would say anything about this or the management even???????And one more thing......YES i'm damn angered by all this but eventhou Bono or the management confirms this........i dont think that would give me a reason to stop liking him or the band.I do have alot of respect for these guys and their music has helped me throu lots .........i dont wanna stop listening to a talented band because of one thing........anways that's my opinion............:| :|

Re: Well ........

EveClayton said:

Gickies i HAVE been a fan for 1 YEAR so i'm still learning about the band and the guys.........so that's why i asked her to explain.:sexywink: :sexywink: And i wonder if Bono would say anything about this or the management even???????And one more thing......YES i'm damn angered by all this but eventhou Bono or the management confirms this........i dont think that would give me a reason to stop liking him or the band.I do have alot of respect for these guys and their music has helped me throu lots .........i dont wanna stop listening to a talented band because of one thing........anways that's my opinion............:| :|

I've been a fan for twenty years. One collaboration is not going to change this. If JLo and Bono had mikes out in the same room, who cares? Not me. No, these guys are not exactly perfect. They're human. Human beings aren't screw-up proof, I don't care who it is. Hell, Shakespeare wrote crummy plays. That's right, he wrote a real monstrosity called "Titus Andronicus". Ugh. But he was a great playwright nonetheless. He was human, I don't care if his name was Shakespeare. You can pick and choose all you want. That's a matter of personal preference. But holy smokes, judging anyone on who they decide to sing with, especially if it's a one-shot deal, makes no sense to me.
Just my purple tuppence's worth. My pollen allergy is freaking me out. :sick: :help: :sigh:

I don't think I can possibly believe this unless I hear it. I'm not really even worried about it.

I think some people here are being a little harsh. If this turns out to be true then oh well, what can you do. I dont like J-Lo but I've been a U2 fan since the 80's and I admire bono very much. My love for Bono and the guys is much, much greater than my dislike for J-Lo.

verte76 is right but, maybe it is a bit harsh, Bono is kissing way too many asses right now.

J.Lo is only out there to promote herself. And how many charity songs can you name where she was a participator?

But , again, verte76 is pointing out a good aspect of the whole thing.

Bone & J. Lo ???

:sad: :censored: :mad:

I felt literally sick when I read this news. I love and support anything that Bono does-but I may have to draw the line here.
J. Lo ? Never in my life have I seen such a talentless, obnoxious waste of perfectly good space. Maybe his daughters are fans-they'd be about the right age to be into someone like her-perhaps that motivated him.
Oh my god, this just makes me want to cry !

Eve Clayton: Read Gickies previous post on the matter, it sums up pretty well how I feel too. You say you've only been a fan for a year, and I'm just assuming that atcylb got you into U2? You see, I didn't care much for atyclb. I never listens to it anymore, the music is boring and I find most of the lyrics extremely mediocre.
what else I find irritating about U2 (and mostly Bono) is their sudden asskissing of the US, which was very apparent during the Elevation tour. For example, Bono weeping into a US-flag in not just one, but several shows. It's pretty cheesy to do it just once, but to make it part of your show definately comes off as unspontanous (is that a word?), fake and as asskissing.

Everyone,

I'm going to close this thread now because it has become harsh, personal and somewhat political (in a few posts). This is completely unnecessary and it does not need to go on.

When another news story comes out about this supposed Bono/JLo duet, we can continue the discussion - hopefully like adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom