(03-25-2003) Bono Dances and Explains the Appeal of Irishmen - Chicago Sun-Times *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.suntimes.com/

Dates with destiny
March 25, 2003
BY RICHARD ROEPER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

LOS ANGELES--For one tiny frozen moment, Nicole Kid-man stands alone in the middle of the throng at the Vanity Fair post-Oscars party Sunday night/Monday morning, getting a three-second break between the smothering orgy of attention, love and buttering up she's been getting. Of course, I take just that opportunity to zoom in and become the 1,437th person to congratulate her on winning the Academy Award for best actress.

The statuesque Ms. Kidman is gracious and kind, and her eyes are alive with the rush of having won perhaps the most famous trophy in the world. The second I leave her side to greet her parents and offer my kudos, three men in tuxes move in on Kidman, who now has her ex-husband beat in the category of Oscars won, 1-0.

A few minutes later, after I've added my congratulations to best actor winner Adrien Brody, who is clutching his Oscar like a kid who'd just the MVP Award on the last day of summer camp and seems more than slightly dazed by events, it occurs to me that on this strangest of strange nights, we had what might have been an Academy Award first:

Neither the winner of best actor nor the victor for best actress had a date for the night. Brody and Kidman were kissed and hugged by everyone from Janet Jackson to Julianne Moore to Peter O'Toole to Bono at the Vanity Fair bash, but neither one actually had a "plus one" at the awards or at the party.

Maybe we should fix 'em up! For one thing, they'd have an instant set of gold bookends.

In honor of the still-sidelined ex-Oscar host David Letterman, the Top Semi-Interesting Things I Learned and Observed at This Year's Post-Oscar Parties:

1. Gael Garcia Bernal of "Y Tu Mama Tambien" laying some heavy charm on a giggling Natalie Portman.

2. Bono dancing rather stiffly and telling me, "Irishmen are just Brazilians with no sense of rhythm."

3. Notorious ladies' man Colin Farrell closing down the bar at the Vanity Fair party--with a male buddy.

4. An astonishingly beautiful woman desperately trying to get her pen to work as she tried to scribble her number down on a damp napkin for the benefit of a tall character actor who was grinning like a tall character actor watching an astonishingly beautiful woman desperately trying to get her pen to work as she tried to scribble her number down on a damp napkin for his benefit.

5. Finding out that the amiable behemoth known as the Rock has the softest handshake imaginable. Maybe he accidentally crushed a few bones with regular handshakes along the way and now goes out of his way to take it easy.

I cant wait for the new record to come out, When a new
U2 record/tour is born it becomes an era. The last era was very beautful and soothing to us New Yorkers, I hope the next era is a releif to these troubled times in the world. U 2 are Da Bomb!!

Re: (03-25-2003) Bono Dances and Explains the Appeal of Irishmen - Chicago Sun-Times *

Originally posted by HelloAngel

2. Bono dancing rather stiffly and telling me, "Irishmen are just Brazilians with no sense of rhythm." :bono: :dance:

Bono's funny as always. :happy:

*** [/B]

Back
Top Bottom