(03-25-2003) American Ireland Fund Honors Bono (full report) - AIF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.irlfunds.org/

American Ireland Fund Honors Bono (full report)
Washington : National Gala 2003

The Washington National Dinner Gala on March 17th 2003 entertained over 1100 guests ranging from Senators, Ambassadors, distinguished guests from the US, North and South of Ireland, American Ireland Fund Board Directors and Staff Members.

The National Building Museum was the perfect setting for dinner with the main hall overflowing with color. The orange lights radiated between the four pillars creating a lively and extravagant atmosphere. Susan O'Neill and Associates meticulously planned each table with contrasting tones of orange, green and blue tableware.

The evening started off with cocktails and guests mingling around 'the pub'. Then they proceeded to their tables for the beginning of the speeches. Kingsley Aikins welcomed everyone to the gala and introduced AIF Board Director, Father Bartley MacPhaidin for the invocation. Dinner was served shortly after and I enjoyed salmon en cro?te and lamb medallions served with peppers and 'champ'.

After dinner and coffee, Loretta Brennan Glucksman, Chairman of The American Ireland Fund, introduced Secretary of Health and Human Services, The Honorable Tommy Thompson to the audience. Mr. Thompson entertained the guests with his amusing take on current issues. He then introduced Bono, renowned lead singer of U2, and presented him with The American Ireland Fund Humanitarian Award.

Bono gave a rapturous speech that was followed by many standing ovations.

At the completion of Bono's speech, Kingsley Aikins proudly announced that The American Ireland Fund was contributing $1 million to the 2003 Special Olympics World Summer Games. The events will be held outside the US for the first time and 160 nations around the world will travel to Ireland to compete in the games. This will mark the largest sporting event in Ireland's history. Rita Lawlor, a board member and athlete of the Special Olympics, then spoke of her achievements as an athlete and spokesperson for the games; her speech touched the hearts of the guests and brought the audience to their feet.

Upon the completion of the speeches, distinguished guests and members in attendance proceeded to 'the pub' and were entertained by the traditional music of 'Gaelic Storm'.

I was lucky enough to win a CD from the band by being the first person to dance to the song of 'The Belle of Belfast City'!

It was a privilege to attend the Washington Dinner and to take part in such a grand event and I would like to thank Susan O'Neill and Associates and my colleagues at The American Ireland Fund for organizing a wonderful Dinner.

Terri Finnegan
Intern, The American Ireland Fund

For pictures from the event, visit: http://www.irlfunds.org/aif/washington/events_d2.asp
(We cannot post these pictures without permission)

Back
Top Bottom