(03-22-2004) Rumor: U2 to Release Concerts on iTunes?*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 'Live' On the Web?

Interference.com has heard some whispering in the halls about U2 and Apple Computer Corporation possibly working together in the not so distant future (think upcoming new album/tour press blitz). For what, you may ask? Well, we can't be 100% sure, but the rumors have it that U2 are planning on selling songs from past and future live performances/concerts on Apple's iTunes music store! While we know this is only a rumor at the moment, we had also taken note of an article in the Rocky Mountain News
(http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/music/article/0,1299,DRMN_54_2725821,00.html) which seems to support this. Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead discusses the Dead's latest venture with Apple:

The Grateful Dead is still putting its own archive out. Besides standard CD releases, the Dead is finalizing a deal with Apple's I-Tunes to make every live note they've ever recorded available for download.

"Everything, sooner or later, will end up being released on the Web," Weir says. "What we wanna do is digitize our entire catalog, our entire collection of tapes . . . and make that stuff available. I think I-Tunes is up to that."

He goes on to say:

"At 99 cents a tune, it's a pretty decent price, because most of our tunes are pretty long."

Will live U2 shows be released at 99 cents a song too? At 22-24 songs for most live U2 shows, $22-24 dollars per show doesn't sound too bad to have an official soundboard recording of your favorite concert memories. We'll keep you posted.

This is fantastic news!!!!!

My nearly brand-new G4 iBook would be sooooo happy to download lots and lots of live U2 onto its hard drive via iTunes!!!

It's funny, I was thinking about the possibility of U2 releasing live concerts in this way a few days ago...it would be a great way of keeping the fans happy until the new album finally comes out. I've been very tempted to buy bootlegs on eBay, until I remind myself I don't have the money for such frivolity.

Anyway, this is great news!

:confused: well, that sounds good guys, but I don't know... :scratch: because that means different things at the same time:

1- if U2 release something like concert bootlegs, those performances will have better quality than the best unofficial bootleg available out there !! :applaud:
2- that would be not available for every fan, since you must have two things for buying on internet:
internet ( off course ) and a credit card :sad: :sad: :sad:
How many fans do you think have both internet and credit cards ?

I have only internet, so if U2 release this project, I couldn?t buy anything :( .
This project have good and bad things, I hope if U2 release it, think in a better way ( and a real one ) to reach all the fans :yes:

ponkine said:
:confused: well, that sounds good guys, but I don't know... :scratch: because that means different things at the same time:

1- if U2 release something like concert bootlegs, those performances will have better quality than the best unofficial bootleg available out there !! :applaud:
2- that would be not available for every fan, since you must have two things for buying on internet:
internet ( off course ) and a credit card :sad: :sad: :sad:
How many fans do you think have both internet and credit cards ?

I have only internet, so if U2 release this project, I couldn?t buy anything :( .
This project have good and bad things, I hope if U2 release it, think in a better way ( and a real one ) to reach all the fans :yes:

Don't worry once they hit iTunes and other people buy them some inventive guy/girl will convert them to mp3 and share them. :sexywink: I really want them to release their soundboard recordings and would pay $10 for concerts I went to.

I knew U2 would jump on the Itunes band wagon. My guess concerts would cost $15 for the entire show. This would be so cool.

Wicked wicked wicked and you know that U2 would realize the iTunes would get ripped to MP3 so I'm hoping they will be rare, stompin' shows. They're looking out for all their fans doing this. Thanks guys!

I've got a few problems with this.

A) itunes uses a horrible compression standard. Giving much lower fidelity than you would get from a WAV file.

B) Much like the same problems with AAC or MP3s, iTunes has that horrible gap problem. This is particularly problematic with live music or studio tracks that segue into one another. You will be given a short gap inbetween each track.

Nonetheless this is a step in the right direction. I personally believe that U2 should be like Phish and offer the concerts in either MP3/iTunes as well as FLAC files(for obsessive audiophiles like myself). Then simply charge more for the FLAC format, which has worked rather successfully for Phish. However since it seems like this is a joint venture with Apple, that probably won't happen.
Makes me wonder when people will put away the childrens toys and buy a PC.

Wow, sort of good news. But they need to have another option over I Tunes. They are poor quality as mentioned above. Either offer FLAC or regular WAV file converted CD's that can be purchased online and mailed from their website in addition to the MP3 stuff. This way those with slow connections and/or those that dont want lower quality MP3 can get the shows without a loss in quality or clicks and gaps between songs. This really is the wave of the future. Alot of groups are offering their shows now. There is a big market for big acts who have a live reputation and it is relatively simple to do now. Bands that are doing this and offering both options and recordings of most if not all of their shows are:

Dave Matthews Band (starting this summer)
Metallica (current tour, offering MP3's and FLAC)
Phish (as mentioned above)
Barenaked Ladies (MP3 files and WAV sourced CD's both offered)
Duran Duran (official CD's)
Peter Gabriel (official CD's)
The Who (official CD's)

The Rolling Stones where looking at it last year on their Euro tour but never got around to it. I would guess if they tour again they will do it, Mick likes money! LOL

I'am sure there are other artists and I'am sure more and more artists will start doing this. U2 would be smart to do it as they are one of the top bootlegged artists out there. So there is a huge demand for U2 live.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
Wow, sort of good news. But they need to have another option over I Tunes. They are poor quality as mentioned above. Either offer FLAC or regular WAV file converted CD's that can be purchased online and mailed from their website in addition to the MP3 stuff. This way those with slow connections and/or those that dont want lower quality MP3 can get the shows without a loss in quality or clicks and gaps between songs. This really is the wave of the future. Alot of groups are offering their shows now. There is a big market for big acts who have a live reputation and it is relatively simple to do now. Bands that are doing this and offering both options and recordings of most if not all of their shows are:

Dave Matthews Band (starting this summer)
Metallica (current tour, offering MP3's and FLAC)
Phish (as mentioned above)
Barenaked Ladies (MP3 files and WAV sourced CD's both offered)
Duran Duran (official CD's)
Peter Gabriel (official CD's)
The Who (official CD's)

The Rolling Stones where looking at it last year on their Euro tour but never got around to it. I would guess if they tour again they will do it, Mick likes money! LOL

I'am sure there are other artists and I'am sure more and more artists will start doing this. U2 would be smart to do it as they are one of the top bootlegged artists out there. So there is a huge demand for U2 live.

It's good to see that someone agrees with me. Alot of people still do no have high speed internet(fortunately I do). However sound quality is the deciding factor for me. MP3-Type formats are just inferior, and I would gladly pay more for FLAC files, or actual pressed discs.

Now on a positive note. What shows would you people really like to see? I for one would love to see the first Wembley Stadium show from the ZooTV tour available. Also anything from The Unforgettable Fire Tour.

I really wish U2 would do this though their own website. Direct from the band would be great, and insure them more cash flow.

The sound quality of iTunes songs is really not that bad. It's surely much, much better than any bootleg you'd find floating around the net. Pearl Jam did exactly this, and they all sound really good. iTunes is the most accepted way of purchasing music online at the moment, so it makes sense for U2 to go this route. Plus, distributing it in FLAC or anything similar would take insane amounts of bandwidth, which would make each show ungodly expensive. Also, FLAC isn't nearly as supported, which would limit their possible customer base for this.

I sure hope there is truth to this rumor!

g0rman said:
The sound quality of iTunes songs is really not that bad. It's surely much, much better than any bootleg you'd find floating around the net. Pearl Jam did exactly this, and they all sound really good. iTunes is the most accepted way of purchasing music online at the moment, so it makes sense for U2 to go this route. Plus, distributing it in FLAC or anything similar would take insane amounts of bandwidth, which would make each show ungodly expensive. Also, FLAC isn't nearly as supported, which would limit their possible customer base for this.

I sure hope there is truth to this rumor!

FLAC is just a compressed WAV file. The application to decompress them is free to anyone who wants it.
I cite Metallica and Phish as examples. U2 is bigger than both those bands, and could easily support such a venture. Phish charges only around $20. Which for a multi-disc live set is pretty damned good.
And yes iTunes do sound bad, just visually compare one song in that format, to the same song ripped directly from CD as a WAV.

Yes, if they're going to do this they should offer pressed silver CDs of the shows for purchase as well -- with no gaps or crummy compression.

jesseu2 said:
Is FLAC the same as SHN or better? I have lots of SHN shows collected.

Its the same basic principle.
However I do agree that U2 maybe should offer official discs as website exclusives. Especially for those without high speed internet, or obsessive audiophiles like myself who enjoy high quality music.
Maybe even holding fan polls, letting the fans vote on what classic concerts they would like released. There is so much potential with this.

I think U2 should release something like the 20 most wanted bootlegs on CD, as Pearl Jam did :yes: :yes: instead, because it would be a REAL chance to get that stuff for every fan. It's better having the concerts on CD, with booklet and all that, than just mp3, shn, etc. Also U2 could remix and remaster all those tapes
:D :D
This is the top 20 most popular bootlegs among collectors:

New Orleans 1982
Red Rocks 1983
Loreley 1983
Dortmund 1984
Chicago 1987
Los Angeles 1987
Tempe 1987
Dublin 1989
Rotterdam 1990
Stockholm 1992
Washington 1992
Houston 1992
Dublin 1993
Sidney 1993
Sarajevo 1997
Tel Aviv 1997
Sao Paulo 1998
Santiago 1998
Miami 2001
Slane Castle 2001

some of this bootlegs have been released on VHS or DVD ( Red Rocks - not the full concert - , Sidney and Slane Castle, so U2 should go with another ones instead these "official" ones )
so what do you think ??? ( this is not my personal choice, there are the most popular bootlegs, despite I don't like concerts like Sarajevo 1997, but it's the fans choice !! )
I really think this is a better idea, thinking in every fan chance to get the stuff !!!! ( no need credit cards, internet, etc !!! )
:laugh: :laugh:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

ponkine said:

This is the top 20 most popular bootlegs among collectors:

New Orleans 1982
Red Rocks 1983
Loreley 1983
Dortmund 1984
Chicago 1987
Los Angeles 1987
Tempe 1987
Dublin 1989
Rotterdam 1990
Stockholm 1992
Washington 1992
Houston 1992
Dublin 1993
Sidney 1993
Sarajevo 1997
Tel Aviv 1997
Sao Paulo 1998
Santiago 1998
Miami 2001
Slane Castle 2001

Thats a pretty good list. Though personally I would make a few alterations. I would replace the Houston 1992 show with the August 11th, 1993 Wembley Stadium show. Mainly because The Houston show has the same setlist as Washington, and The Wembley show has Zooropa and Babyface live, which are really rare.
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Dublin and Sydney 1993 Broadcasts remastered.

Thats a pretty good list. Though personally I would make a few alterations. I would replace the Houston 1992 show with the August 11th, 1993 Wembley Stadium show. Mainly because The Houston show has the same setlist as Washington, and The Wembley show has Zooropa and Babyface live, which are really rare.

yeah, nice adition, I agree with you :yes:
it's better having the show you want, with a different setlist

:wave: :

Skwege said:
Makes me wonder when people will put away the childrens toys and buy a PC.

*LOL*Well, ya know what they say. Jealously breeds contempt. :)

The great beige world has such a hard time understanding why 5% of the population is so incredibly willing to spend nearly twice as much for a Macintosh when they could just buy a PC for half the price. And yet they keep doing it. Over and over and over. Odd, isn't it.

Well maybe not so much. I would equate the experience of going from PC to Mac?which I do on a daily basis?to getting out of a nice Toyota and into a Mercedes.

This is great news, by the way. I was just thinking this weekend, as I downloaded Grant Lee Phillips' playlist, which included Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Johnny Cash, and Jimmie Rodgers, and discovering bands such as the New Amsterdams and the Get Up Kids, all for about the cost of a Guinness, that ITunes was the greatest invention since the internet.

LPU2 said:

Well maybe not so much. I would equate the experience of going from PC to Mac?which I do on a daily basis?to getting out of a nice Toyota and into a Mercedes.

Amen. I hate my PC at work. Love my Mac at home.

Back
Top Bottom