Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:24 PM
(03-18-2004) FCC Cites Stern, Bono for Indecency -- AP *

FCC Cites Stern, Bono for Indecency

By JONATHAN D. SALANT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Federal regulators continued their crackdown on indecency Thursday, issuing a fine for a broadcast of the Howard Stern radio show and ruling that an expletive uttered by rock singer Bono on NBC violated broadcast standards.

The Federal Communications Commission proposed fining Infinity Broadcasting the maximum $27,500 for a Stern show broadcast on WKRK-FM in Detroit.

The FCC also overruled its staff and said that Bono's expletive during the 2003 Golden Globe Awards program was indecent and profane, but issued no fine.

FCC Chairman Michael Powell had asked his fellow commissioners to overturn the FCC enforcement bureau's finding.

The FCC also proposed fining a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communications $55,000 for a broadcast on two Florida radio stations where the host conducted an interview with a couple allegedly having sex.

The fines are the latest in a stepped-up campaign by the FCC to crack down on indecency. Critics have said the commission failed to aggressively enforce rules, leading to a coarsening of the airwaves.

Federal law bars radio stations and over-the-air television channels from airing references to sexual and excretory functions between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children may be tuning in. The rules do not apply to cable and satellite channels or satellite radio.

The FCC received hundreds of complaints about the Golden Globes broadcast after Bono, the lead singer of the Irish rock group U2, said, "This is really, really, f------ brilliant."

The enforcement bureau said last October that Bono's comment was not indecent or obscene because he did not use the word to describe a sexual act. "The performer used the word ... as an adjective or expletive to emphasize an exclamation," the bureau said.

To avoid a repeat incident, NBC aired this year's Golden Globes broadcast on a 10-second delay. ABC did the same with its telecast of the Academy Awards show.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:24 AM

I can't believe that people are still talking about Bono saying that.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 03-18-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Local Time: 01:24 AM
Enough already!

Bono's slip was over a year ago...let it go and move on.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

If you'd like to let the FCC know how you feel about this, chairman Michael Powell's e-mail address (found at FCC.gov) is Michael.Powell@fcc.gov. If a few hundred other people got to lodge their complaints over the word, I think the rest of us should be able to say it's not a big deal.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:57 PM   #5
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:24 AM
e-mail sent.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 06:24 AM
There's something really scary going on in America right now. Keep an eye on this FCC buisness.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
Creator of the Blue Crack

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Phisto
There's something really scary going on in America right now. Keep an eye on this FCC buisness.

You're not kidding.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm a wee bit hesistant to email that FCC guy. Knowing the right-wingers, you'll probably wind up on their "subversive" lists and have the FBI after you. Seems the Republicans want to go back
to those good old days of McCarthy-ism and witch hunts.
Bono made that comment....hmm...what is it 2 years ago?!?
Oh dear....he uttered a 4 letter word. My life is ruined now.
I may never watch tv again, only "Leave It To Beaver" reruns from now on. < sarcasm mode>
Old 03-18-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Phisto
The whole thing has made me feel a little ill lately...almost rings of censorship, that nasty old C-word.

Otherwise going on about the Golden Globes thing would be almost funny by now.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Bush is trying to pander to the ultra-conservative Christian fanatic vote, since he's pretty much alienated every other sane and educated person left in this country.

Melon
Old 03-18-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

4 American children have become Muslim extremists thank's to Bono and his verbal antics. We must be vigilant and fight the evil doers by burning U2 records.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:22 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Kariann
Enough already!

Bono's slip was over a year ago...let it go and move on.
There's nothing more to say......
Old 03-18-2004, 11:58 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i just think it's a joke that they're using bono as a model of indecency...of all the people, he certainly is the kind of lewd behavior
Old 03-19-2004, 12:31 AM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 12:24 AM
hey, i'd just like to point out---tipper gore and joe lieberman-what two things do they have in common? both have fought for censorship in music, movies, and television, and both are DEMOCRATS! republicans are not the only ones to blame for this.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:38 AM   #15
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
If you'd like to let the FCC know how you feel about this, chairman Michael Powell's e-mail address (found at FCC.gov) is Michael.Powell@fcc.gov. If a few hundred other people got to lodge their complaints over the word, I think the rest of us should be able to say it's not a big deal.
text of letter:
Dear Mr. Powell,

I am writing to you as a college-educated 30 year old, married, with a 5 year old daughter; in short, dead average in the American media-consuming demographic.

I find the recent FCC rulings regarding New York radio personality Howard Stern and Irish musician Bono to be utterly ludicrous. Frankly sir, it is my job as a parent to exercise control over what my child sees or hears; your rulings attempt to make that decision for my spouse and myself and as a conservative I am appalled that the government - at your command - is intruding on my personal choices like this. I am no fool, sir, and I do not need your personal agenda controlling the American broadcast media for me like some incarnation of an Orwellian 'Big Brother'.

Howard Stern has made a career of pushing the envelope, and while I am not a tremendous fan of his radio persona, I must sincerely question the FCC only just now deciding he's too "indecent" for the airwaves. It rings false, sir, that suddenly a racial slur -spoken by a caller, not Stern - was the final straw and called for fines and discontinuation of broadcast, when all of the other over-the-top antics his show has generated over the years somehow passed under the radar.

It is especially laughable that you continue to drag Bono's slip-up back into the spotlight again and again. It has been over a year now - and it was one word - and it's time to just drop it already. Of all of the performers in the music world, he is the last one who should be pilloried for a slip of the tongue or held up as some sort of icon of indecency. To portray him as a foul-mouthed menace to America's airwaves is ludicrously ignorant, and grotesquely petty when your own staff has already let the matter drop with a decision you felt some inexplicable need to override.

Pure and simply, I am disgusted, sir, at these actions. And I vote.

Jai Wolfe
Pepperell, Massachusetts

===============

ps. and no, I did not vote for Bush last time either.